Dog Canned Food

shirleylim19
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 9:32 AM

Post #1 of 5 (884 views)
Shortcut
Dog Canned Food Can't Post

Hey guys,Smile

Was wondering if too much dog canned food is bad for our furkids cuz i know canned food is not very good for us so i was just curious if its the same for our darlin's...Unsure

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 18, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 5 (881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shirleylim19] Dog Canned Food [In reply to] Can't Post

yeap..it is...imagine the amount of preservatives they put in there so that the food can last for months..even years CrazyBlush
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 8:42 PM

Post #3 of 5 (871 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile...

Agree with RealityDreamer ... apart from the element of convenience ... I'm not too keen on feeding canned food ... in order to preserve the food in the can ... the food is subject to high temperatures that destroys much of the nurtitional value and the vitamins ...

And you are absolutely right ... just as a diet consisting of canned food isn't good for us - its also not good for our doggies ...

Check out the thread on Nutrition for alternative foods and diet for doggies ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 18, 2003, 8:43 PM)

shirleylim19
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 9:51 PM

Post #4 of 5 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Dog Canned Food [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys,Smile

Wat i do is i mixed a bit of canned food together with Monte's kibbles to make it much tastier cuz his extremely fussy!!!Mad guess ill stop giving him canned food now and spend more time cooking for him chicken strips to mix with his food...

dpelican

Oct 31, 2003, 11:42 PM

Post #5 of 5 (837 views)
Shortcut

Dog's vitamins and nutritional requirement is different compared to human. By just providing the dog, home cooked food like chicken strips (or any meat or vege for that matter) may sound good but that alone is not good enough for the dog as this may lead to the dog lacking in various vital vitamins.

Although dog canned food is full of preservatives, they are created to balance out the vitamins needed by our furry friends. If you are concerned with this, my suggestion is to mix it up a bit -> dry and wet/can food. E.g dry food in the morning and wet food at night or vice versa. Do take care of not overfeeding the dog as this may lead to obesity and other health problems. Weight your furry friend periodically. That is of course a seperate issue altogether.

Not getting side tracked, if you are concerned with this, my suggestion is to consult your vet. They should be able to give you some good advice.

I've been feeding my dog canned food (Pal Pedigree) for the past 6 years. I've found this to be quite good for her fur. Feeding her just dry food tends to make the fur a bit coarse and scruffy-looking. Currently, I'm feeding her some dry food in the morning after her morning jog and feed her canned food in the evening after her evening jog.

One word of advice is never feed your dog milk (as they are lactose intolerant) and basically animal internals (liver, gall, etc). Cheese seems to be ok. But overall, try to stay away from oily stuff also (fried stuff).

Disclaimer: These are just suggestions based on experience, and they may not be the right thing. Best option, consult your vet. Don't quote me on these.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my