Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Mange

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 5:08 PM

Post #126 of 341 (17349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

YAY! no more dips for Sparkle Smile It's nice to know we hv all followed the progress of Sparkle frm beginning till now and see how a dog recovered frm mange step by step....thanks for keeping us all updated....hope it'll be smooth sailing for him frm now on Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #127 of 341 (17346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gina!

Thanks Smile Yah I think he's much happier now that he can skip the dips. So in total, he's has 3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get no more surprises from him from now on..

I've checked with a few ppl and most of them said that it's safe to bring him out as it's not contagious. I've decided to bring Sparkle along this Sunday (if all goes well). I think the little fella deserves a little time out of the house. Smile

He'll look a little funny alright and quite patchy in some areas but I think he deserves to come out for that day. Cool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 6:18 PM

Post #128 of 341 (17344 views)
Shortcut

Cshellz ...

It was a great great idea starting this thead ... Smile... it has helped quite a number of people ... and given others some things to think about ... Well done to you and Sparkle ... Smile

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 9, 2003, 7:17 PM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 6:56 PM

Post #129 of 341 (17341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi SK...

it wouldn't have been informative at all if no one contributed. Smile So, thanks to u too!! Cool

mackmack
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 8:28 PM

Post #130 of 341 (17335 views)
Shortcut

Maybe can ask our webmaster to keep it in the Hot Topic Section in the main page for quick reference.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 10:12 PM

Post #131 of 341 (17329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe can suggest to him la...but dunno what he'll say Tongue

mackmack
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #132 of 341 (17328 views)
Shortcut

It's all up to him!

but i will second you~Wink this is really a good and informative thread.

moreover, benefit pug members.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 10:17 PM

Post #133 of 341 (17326 views)
Shortcut

ok will try to ask him!! Wink Benefit pug, benefit all the doggie squad cause any doggie also can kena...Cool

mackmack
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 10:17 PM

Post #134 of 341 (17324 views)
Shortcut

Choy! kena your head. PREVENTION.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #135 of 341 (17322 views)
Shortcut

ahahaha ya la............we're learning how to prevent. But what I meant is this problem is quite a general problem and it's affecting a lot of dogs ler...so good for ppl to read up also. Tongue

At the beginning I didn't even know how to pronounce Mange properly Blush

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 10:43 PM

Post #136 of 341 (17320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

I just found a very good book during lunch earlier..."The Natural Remedy Book for Dogs & Cats" by Diane Stein

Here...I'll try to summarise what's written in the part about Mange from the book:

NUTRITION
Feed holistic diet, preservative free pet food or homemade diet with supplements. Feed raw liver and egg yolk once a week, and avoid all milk products and fats other than those in the daily oils.

NATUROPATHY
Begin with 3-5 day liquid fast using beet or celery juice as detoxifier then switch to the optimal diet. Give aloe vera juice with chlorophyll. Bathe the dog weekly or even daily, soaping twice with an herbal flea shampoo or Betadyne scrub. Leave the second soaping on for 10 mins before rinsing thoroughly, then use the lemon rinse (this is something like the lemon solution recommended by ginl). Use this solution dailly while dabbing pure lemon juice onto the lesions. Add lots of garlic to the animal's diet and put apple cider vinegar into the water bowl. Cider vinegar, garlic juice (not oil) or Betadyne may be used externally on the sores. Essential oils or juniper and lavender diluted in herb infusions or water maybe used externally too. (Make sure it's pure oils, not perfumes).

VITAMIND & MINERALS
Vitamins C, E and Zinc are important. Vitamin C about (500-3000mg), Zinc about (5-20 mg) depending on body size and Vitamin E can go as high as 800 IU. Add lecithin to the diet (one half to three teaspoons) and if not feeding brewer's yeast give yeast free B-complex tablet in higher potency, about 15-30 mg.

HERBS
Give Goldenseal with Echinecea from start through complete healing of mange and continue for at least 10 days after symptoms disappear. Plantain or lavender also kills mites when used externally. Other useful herbs include wormwood, butternut bark, and/or sage, all externally. Tea tree oil can be used externally (must be diluted if used as a full body rinse).

HOMEOPATHY
Primary remedy for mange is Sulphur (30C, 200C, 1M, 10M). May be alternated with Arsenicum to relieve furious itching. If both fail, try Psorinum. Sepia is for the animal in convalescence.

FLOWER ESSENCES
Cotton specifically for Mange, Luffa for skin lesions and karmic skin conditions. Crab Apple, Camphor and/or Tomato are cleansers. Salvia supports immune system under stress. Cedar is a detoxifier and useful for hair loss. Snapdragon when lesions are primarily together around the mouth.

GEMSTONES
Citrine as an elixir or in the water bowl, in the environment and on the pet's collar. It cleanses the skin of toxins and regenerates tissues. Bloodstone is similarly positive. Make an elixir of Emerald for deep cleansing and detoxifying. Lapis Lazuli and Sugulite balance the endoctrine system and raise immunity. Jade or Blue Tourmaline also builds immune function.

(This post was edited by cshellz on Sep 9, 2003, 10:44 PM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 2:22 AM

Post #137 of 341 (17311 views)
Shortcut

hi Smile
been following your thread on sparkle...glad to hear that he's doing ok now...must have been a hard time on you.Unimpressed
thank you for posting this..you've educated alot of ppl on mange..including me...Smile
hope everything goes well for you and sparkle..SmileLaugh

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 2:39 AM

Post #138 of 341 (17310 views)
Shortcut

just wondering..where can we get sea salt?

airdrigh
Novice

Sep 10, 2003, 2:56 AM

Post #139 of 341 (17309 views)
Shortcut

Hi surchinmy, yeah what I meant was a course of ivermectin, I went to two vets already, the first one gave injections and it went on for 3 or 4 shots ovver a month, but then the skin didn't clear up, and then after leaving my dobermann alone for a while, I just used sulphur mixed with engine oil, twice...also didn't help, so then after a couple of months, I went to another vet and he prescribed ivermectin in tablet form and it was for two weeks and each tablet cost RM5. quite ex but also still didn't work. I found out later that giving ivermectin too much is not good, that's why I was reluctant to continue giving it jabs or tablets anymore, so now as long as the skin problem doesn't affect his health, he is actually quite active and eating very well, so I think I will try going natural. So far malaseb hasn't shown any improvements as well, I think it is only suppressing it from getting worse because the problem is limited to certain pots and not spreading to the entire body.

My email is airdrigh27@hotmail.com so you can email me there concerning the shampoos. I have actually used selederm and sebolyse on my other dog, he is a GSD and skin problems for them is also quite common in old age, so he did develop skin problems but after using selederm, it has helped and hi skin is normal now. Ok, any opinions on another vet I can go to? I am actually quite tired of running all around and finding out that the vet will just give the basic answer, I think half of us here on puppy.com can give better answers about mange!!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 5:05 AM

Post #140 of 341 (17303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... Smile

You will find sea salt in most supermarkets ... alternatively, rock salt is good too ...

These are natural salts rather than the usual processed table salt ... and supposed to contain more trace minerals ... Good for people too, so they say ... Smile

Cheers

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 7:14 AM

Post #141 of 341 (17301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdrigh] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Looks like you are going through the same mill as so many of us ... Unsure

Since you have already mentioned all the shampoo names - we might as well continue here ... LOL ...

Malaseb is used to primarily control bacteria, fungal and yeast infection ... and does not control dermo or sarcoptic mites. So unless your dog's mange condition has been complicated by secondary infection ... your dog may not need such a strong shampoo as Malaseb ... Sebolyse serves the same purpose as Malaseb - except not so strong.

If your dog does not have any secondary infection - then maybe a more gentle shampoo would be good enough ...

I suppose my rational is that a dog with mange will already have enough stuff dumped on its skin ... Unsure ... so enough already ...

I find the Epi-Sooth, Epi-Derm or Sebolytic range of shampoos more gentle, with good anti-itch properties that help soothe itchy & irritated skin & control some minor secondary infections ...

On the issue of Ivermectin - think you have researched & will know that Ivermectin is primarily a "dewormer" (the ingredient in Heartguard), but vets have started using Ivermectin in larger dosages over fairly long treatment periods - to combat mange infection ... (the downside is that Ivermectin has not been approved for such use) ...

Our experience with Ivermectin is that it has effective mange control properties (our vet used Ivermectin to great effect with our dog) ... but it must be very carefully prescribed in the correct dosage (calculated according to the dog's weight) and used over the correct treatment period ... incorrect application & dosage can be ineffective and/or dangerous to the dog ...

Our dog was prescribed with Ivermectin over a period quite different from your dog - and in our dog's case, it proved very effective ... But not being a vet I hesitate to say more about the course of treatment your dog was prescribed ... (I will email you on the issue of vets) ...

But we found that getting rid of the mange was the first step - the second was trying to make sure the mange did not return ... for this we went back to natural remedies & proper nutrition to improve our dog's immune system ... And this has proved (touch wood) effective ...

I also have to agree with Cshellz ... much as I personally dislike Amitraz dips (it makes my dog real dopy and duh) ... if the mange condition is servere ... you may not have other choice - just to get the mange infection under control ... and give the homeopatic remedies a better chance of working ...

But of course much depends on the dog, the severity of condition and the owner's diligence in applying the homeopatic lotions ...

Since you say your dog is in a stablised condition - your decision to go "natural" may be correct ... we wish you the best ... Smile ... We (and several others in the forum) found the lemon dip useful ...

Lastly ... Pfizer Animal Health has released a new product called Revolution that is supposed to be effective against mange infection ... if any one has experience with Revolution - would sure like to hear from them ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 10, 2003, 8:09 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #142 of 341 (17299 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile

The book sounds interesting ... where find? Any copies left? ...

Have also been trying to find "Goldenseal with Echinecea" ... do you have any idea what it might be ? ... Tablets? Lotion? ...

Cheers ...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 8:02 AM

Post #143 of 341 (17294 views)
Shortcut

hehehe I found the book in a second hand bookshop today for RM22. What a bargain Sly I got caught up with reading it cause it provided different methods of treatment for each disease and illness...ie mange, constipation, hip problems etc...and the guy at the shop was starting to give me looks Blush I can lend it to u if you want...

Nope...i dunno what form it is. Actually I'm not really sure what Goldenseal is too. Leaf? Flower? Shocked I'll read the book over the weekend and hopefully I'll be able to provide some answers next week....heh heh Wink

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #144 of 341 (17291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kesuke..

Yeah, it was a difficult time for both me and my puppy....but he's on his way to full recovery and that's all that matters now! Cool

Glad you found this thread informative....must also thank all the rest who contributed their experiences and knowledge. They helped my doggie a lot Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #145 of 341 (17290 views)
Shortcut

... Waaah ... find book in 2nd hand shop ... well done Smile ...

Thanks for the offer - will take you up on it after you have had chance to give it a goooood read ...

If got time will some research on Goldenseal and see what I can dig up ... LOL ... and then we exchange notes next week ... or on Sunday ...

Cheers Smile

mochacappucino
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2003, 7:47 PM

Post #146 of 341 (17282 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for starting this thread. It really helps. BUt I need to find out more about certain terms and ways mentioned in this thread. What is a "dip"?

My Mocha girl also suffers from mange. The first vet I went to actually gave her ivermecsin jabs. 1 jab per week and after 3 weeks still no improvements. Then I was told to wash her with certain liquid everyday. We lost hope then but then thought that things might improve still. Then the next day while I was preparing to wash my Mocha girl with the liquid, I found the container actually melted! Wow! Luckily I didn't apply that to my Mocha. Don't really know what will happen to her if I did !Shocked

So, I went to another vet (not going back to the first one anymore!). This vet knew what it was when he first saw Mocha. Confirmed that it was mange with the microscope then prescribed her with certain tablets and lotions (I don't know the names). Mocha got better after a few visits and now I think her condition is under control. But her hair stopped growing on her hind legs. Unsure

I am still feeding her with normal dog food (dried). So, I am not sure if her condition will improve if I change it to fresh diets as mentioned ealier. Hmm...

By the way, is it contagious in any way? I was told it is not.

Previously I was using Etiderm. Now I am using Malase instead.

Regards,
~!@Mocha@!~

Come to the Chit Chat Thread with MochaCappucino @ the Chit Chat Section !
Or come join the Klang Division Thread !

(This post was
edited by mochacappucino on Sep 10, 2003, 7:52 PM)

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 8:48 PM

Post #147 of 341 (17274 views)
Shortcut

Good for Sparkle! Cool He gets to come out and meet other ppl and doggies Laugh...yah demodectic mange is not contagious, only sarcoptic mange are so don't worry about passing it to other dogs...all dogs hv demodex mites on them Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 8:56 PM

Post #148 of 341 (17273 views)
Shortcut

thank you very much....i'll go hunting for sea salt now....WinkLaugh

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #149 of 341 (17272 views)
Shortcut

glad to know your dog's improving and doing fine now....SmileCool
btw, do you know of any 'natural herbs' that's good for the coat?? surchinmy suggested that i ask you...Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 10:06 PM

Post #150 of 341 (17262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mochacappucino] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Smile

So sorry to hear about your dog's condition...but good news is it's under control now Cool

a "dip" refers to a chemical wash. My dog was washed/dipped in Mitaban. I dunno what liquid you used to wash your dog with but it might be the same thing. It's a very toxic substance and it's supposed to kill the demo mites that's causing the problems on your dog's skin. This has to be used according to the correct measurement. Too much of it can be very toxic, even fatal to your dog. That's why many don't recommend it. I personally would skip it too, unless of course the condition of your dog is very very bad and needs immediate cure.

However, since your dog's condition is 'under control' now I suggest you try out the lemon solution suggested by ginl. I'm also using that on my dog now. What I do is I prepare it, keep it refridgerated and use some to wash the affected areas daily. Showing very promising improvement. Wink

About the hair....it will grow back. But you have to be patient lor..you can supplement your dog's diet with stuff like salmon oil or cod liver oil which will help his skin & coat. I also give him Nutricoat every other day.

The health of my dog (my own observation) did improve after I introduced cooked food mixed with his kibbles. I tried to put him on a raw diet but his stomach didn't take it so well. So now I'm cooking for him almost everyday. But please do this gradually...

I used his normal shampoo to bathe him. After that I washed him with the lemon solution. Works well on his skin and he smells like he just got out od the dishwasher...haha

And good news is - it's not contagious! Cool

(This post was edited by cshellz on Sep 10, 2003, 10:12 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my