Yellow foamy liquid

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Sep 2, 2003, 3:20 PM

Post #1 of 19 (5343 views)
Shortcut
Yellow foamy liquid Can't Post

Dear All,

Have any of u all ever experience your dog vomitting yellow like foamy liquid(probably yellow bile)? I'm not sure but i'm guessing here.Is it because of indigestion? Food poisoning? Hunger? If anyone know the answer do reply as soon as possible.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

(This post was edited by adamchooi on Sep 2, 2003, 3:25 PM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 5:02 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Yellow foamy liquid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Adam!!

Wah...long time no hear!! How are you and Mary doing? Smile

About two weeks back Sparkle also vomitted some yellow stuff which I think it bile too. Checked with my vet and he said that it sometimes happens when they are too hungry or they are trying to cleanse their system. According to him it's pretty normal in dogs and he should be fine in a day or two.

Give lots of water yah...and probably some softer food like boiled chicken breast (easier to digest). If he's been throwing up for some time now his digestive system might be a little weak. Unsure

Please give Cookie a belly rub for me yah??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5334 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile

Cshellz has identified the usuall causes for vomitting ...

Dogs have pretty strong digestive systems ... and can handle most cases of mild indigestion or mild food poisoning reasonably well ... so any sign of discomfort (even after vomitting) can be an urgent signal for help ...

What is the general condition of your dog? Active? Lethargic? ... In discomfort? ... Is the belly boated or distended? ... If the dog appears unwell ... then do not delay - it's off to the vet as soon as possible ...

If the dog otherwise appears normal then observe carefully for the time being ... if the dog can get rid of what is troubling her system - a dog will bounce back very quickly ... But be careful.

Cheers

ashley
ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5333 views)
Shortcut

HI , wa long time didnt see u online !!
My shitzu also has this problem. Only she will vomit the liquid, the other two chihuahua wont, i also donow why ??!! Unsure
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Sep 2, 2003, 11:16 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5323 views)
Shortcut

Hi adam,

you must be an old fart in the forum who has gone MIA.TongueAnyway, I would give the same opinion as cshellz that your dog was probably too hungry and has gastric.. it happened to Salsa as well, however, surchinmy could be right too, so do give a tighter observation! A doc told me once that steamed chicken breast (practically what cshellz suggested and I think it is probably because we go to the same vet!) actually helps with vomitting and diarhea. Make sure you trim off the fats though! If your dog has not been eating, the chicken meat could actually perk her up again! You know lar.. these furkids of ours ar... sighs.. damn pampered one.. Unsure
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Sep 3, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #6 of 19 (5313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn,ashley,surchinmy,cshellz] Yellow foamy liquid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone,

No worries, cookie is in very good condition. I've done some research myself and found out that it's quite normal for a dog especially small breeds to vomit bile in average of few times a month when they wake up.If the frequency is high,a trip to the vet will be necessary.It usually won't happen in the afternoon or evening. It might be due to indigestion where the dog ate too much at one meal or it's just too hungry. So we should feed them more frequent with a smaller amount of food.

Cookie eat chicken breast everyday. My meals are not even as good as his u knowPirate. What to do?? He's the youngest in the family now,replacing me.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 3, 2003, 6:59 AM

Post #7 of 19 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Hi Adam,

Like what ahve been said, it's quite normal for dogs to vomit yellowish liquid....mostly due to hunger but as long as u give ur doggie some bland food...it'll be alright in a day's time...besides chicken...u can give ur doggie some cooked porridge mix with chicken meatSmile

elizatye
K9 Senior

Sep 3, 2003, 5:08 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5290 views)
Shortcut

Hi, is it really normal for a dog vomit yellowish liquid ?? Yippi vomit so frequent these few weeks, especially if he didn't take his lunch. Just wonder will dog gastric too ?? I will bring him for annual check-up this saturday and thinking of asking the vet what is happening to him...

Smile Eliza

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Sep 4, 2003, 8:07 AM

Post #9 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Hey adam, thanks for the additional info and glad to know that you have better and clearer peace of mind now.. catch ya soon! Wink
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Sep 4, 2003, 8:50 AM

Post #10 of 19 (5278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Yellow foamy liquid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello eli,

We went to the vet today for cookie's deworming and took the chance to ask for more info. The vet said it's quite common for dogs to vomit bile. If the dog lost it's appetite or act unusual with a high frequency of vomits in a day,consult your vet ASAP. Vomiting BILE is not a very serious problem and if i'm not mistaken,it's not a symtoms of any deadly dog desease.If it's just vomit once or twice and u still see it eating and running around,it should be fine but do observe closely.

Ps: Do correct me if i'm wrong. I do not want any dogs to fall ill because of my advice.Crazy

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5253 views)
Shortcut

hi adam,

yeah, my pup oso facing the same problem but the thing is that she will not have appetite during morning and no problem in the evening time. Is this consider ok.

Thanx wif regards,

Lois

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

elizatye
K9 Senior

Sep 8, 2003, 6:01 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5244 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Had brought Yippi to the vet last sat. What the vet told me is just as what you said. It is quite common for dog to vomit bile, expecially under the bad whether. It is just as normal as human getting influenza. No need to too worry Smile, unless it is any other bad symptoms.

Smile Eliza

(This post was edited by elizatye on Sep 8, 2003, 6:04 PM)

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Sep 9, 2003, 5:16 AM

Post #13 of 19 (5227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lois_wong] Yellow foamy liquid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lois,

I think she should be fine. As long as u can get her eating within a day and actively running around or do whatever she normally does,she's fine. If u still have any doubt,do consult the vet ok? Normally,vomitting bile is not a serious matter.Wink

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5214 views)
Shortcut

hi adam,

i guess she is ok now...ya, if the problem still persist and i'll get her to visit the vet. thks for the advice.

best regards,

lois Smile

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Sep 10, 2003, 10:18 AM

Post #15 of 19 (5201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lois_wong] Yellow foamy liquid [In reply to] Can't Post

hey,

Most welcome...good to know that she's fine....

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

sweetheart
Novice

Nov 12, 2003, 5:34 PM

Post #16 of 19 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Shih Tzu vomitting [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum... hope that you guys can help me on this. I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu and she occasionally vomits... I've been reading all the advices given but somehow you know, I'm still worried! This morning she vomitted a few times, the first being a more solid vomit, like indigested food... subsequent vomits consisted of less food and more fluid, with the last vomit (around the 4th or 5th time in a 4 hour interval) consisting of clear fluid with a streak of indigested food (fluid is water-like with something that looks like jelly?).

It's so sad to see her moodless Crazy. She's lying down now, sleeping... I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I've been away for 20+ days and she has been in boarding... don't know if this is readjustment? She's my first dog so anything seems new to me!

Previous times I have brought her to the vet but it seems like probably she just gobbled something off the floor (once jumped up on the coffee table and gobbled an anti-inflammatory pill my mom was sorting into her pill box! urgh. Unsure) Anywho, I don't know whether I should be feeding her chicken breast, coz she's only on dry food (1st Choice brand) and it has been advised by docs not to feed any fluid food or human food as she might not eat her dry food again (already she's quite picky).

Also, she doesn't take too much food a day, in total probably around 1/2 - 3/4 cups of dry food (plus some treats of course), is it normal? Seems like she's a small eater.

So sorry for the long long post, but I REALLY hope someone can tell me I'm not doing anything wrong with my first dog!!! Thanks!

alyn
Novice

Nov 12, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweetheart] Shih Tzu vomitting [In reply to] Can't Post

Get her to a vet soon! Yellow bile is one thing (as some of the posters have pointed out -- indigestion, hacking out ingested hair, eating too fast, hunger) but when your dog continuously vomits, it is a cause for concern. Especially after the dog has been boarding where it would have contact with other dogs. She could have caught an infection. I don't mean to alarm you but it's best to exercise some precaution and get her to the vet.
Come see what I'm up to at susie*ville!

meiyoong

Nov 15, 2003, 7:01 AM

Post #18 of 19 (4850 views)
Shortcut

I guess u really need to bring your furkid to vet. Try to chnage another vet if previous one cannot do anything to your furkid.It's better to get a second opinion to know what is happening to your shih tzu. It's not normal if it vomit a few times a day. My advice is get your furkid to vet as soon as possible.

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2003, 12:55 AM

Post #19 of 19 (4808 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I agreed with 'em that you better bring your furkid to the vet for further checking. Vomit several time per day is a serious situation just like my furkid b4 and end up admitted for 1 day for further diagnosed.

Please do update us on your furkid status.

Hope your furkid will get well soon.

Best regards,

Lois

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my