First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #101 of 341 (15790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [htpol] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi htpol, Smile

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense. But if chicken and pig liver is not good, then what liver can I feed him? Or remove that entirely?

Orgaderm...can get in petshops? And is it safe for the eye area?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 7:21 PM

Post #102 of 341 (15785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Smile

Ok cooked food and kibbles it is for Sparkle!

You mentioned:
(D) The 70% others can be made up of fresh blended veggies (always wash all veggies well), starchy veggie/roots (sweet potatos, potatoes (boiled till soft, with eyes removed) and grains (like oats, buckwheat, wheat bran, brown rice, lightly toasted wholemeal bread) ... I have been only suggesting brown rice so far because rice good for dog recovering from illness etc ... rice soothes the stomach.

When u say blended veggies does it mean blend the green leafy veggies and legumes? Blend with blender or suffice to hand shred them to bits? I give oats to sparkle at least twice a week and when I do, i leave the meat out.

What if the dog doesn't like the veggies? I've also tried to give sparkle raw veges like cabbage and lettuce and sometimes the stem of siew pak choy and other green leafy vege. Sometimes he takes it, but most of the time he just leaves it.

Can I substitute the veges with fruits instead? like maybe I continue to feed him meat but in smaller portion and his kibbles. Maybe before his dinner time I feed him half an apple. And for the oats, I feed him every alternate days with honey and maybe I can include sweet potato to his oats?

Is that the same as blending everything together for one meal?

I think I'll just stay away from the raw food for the time being. htpol has a point. Surely the freshness and cleanliness isn't the same from one country to another when handling these stuff. Unsure

Thanks again and sorry yah for the endless questions....hehe Blush

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #103 of 341 (15784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile...

You wrote: " ... Hey I think i remember you posting something about yoghurt being good for dogs who have the runs? Correct me if I'm wrong Blush U think it's a good time I made him a kibble salad with yoghurt for his tummy?"

*errr* I think not me ... Smile... if I remember correctly, it was the S.Huskey breeder from Australia who suggested using yoghurt to stop "runs" ...

I actually rather my doggies continue with the "runs" ... diarrhoea is a basic defensive mechanism for removing bad stuff ... I rather let dog get rid of the bad stuff then let it remain in the stomach ... I give plenty of water (even put ribena into water so doggie drinks lots) ... But will otherwise observe carefully to make sure the condition does not get chronic, if so then its off to the vet immediately ...

We give yoghurt as part of general diet ... small amounts 2 or 3 times a week for the useful bactria.

When a dog is on antiboitics ... the antibiotics also destroys Acidophilus (good bacteria, which is needed to reduce harmful yeast & fungi in stomach) ... when Acidophilus is killed the fungi/yeast levels can increase - causing diarrhoea and flatulence etc ... good quality yoghurt restores balance.

You wrote: "... But then this black looks quite funny cause the skin's also wrinkled. I started applying the cream the vet gave but I stopped for awhile because it seems to sting a lot ..."

Cannot say much about cream given by vet ... What is name & purpose of cream? ... Antibiotic cream? ...

Sometimes skin can look a little wrinkled if dehydrated ... so moisturise Smile ... Not eye cream!!! ... We use human moisturing cream ... the kind your dad will say "siou ah" ... Cool...

T-tree can sting & not to use near the eye ... we only use t-tree when its antibiotic & cleansing effect is required.

Just a little caution ... if dog is on antibiotics for long time ... can have side effect of fungal infection of skin ... so watch out for that ... best thing now is to observe carefully ... take to vet if not sure ...

In the meantime sort out Sparkle's diet so that his system is restored ...

Think you are doing good ... for sure we all get hiccups here and here ... so not to worry ...Smile

And ... *errr*... not "sifu" ... Blush ... we are all learning together ... when we think we become sifu ... that's the time the brain become "toufoo" and then sure kena "choi foo" and get wacked!!! ... LOL

Cheers ...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 8:14 PM

Post #104 of 341 (15781 views)
Shortcut

Blend or shred?: ... Either is okay ... depends on dog ... check poop ... if veggie or roots coming out whole then maybe better to put in blender (add water) and puree ...

In the wild, dogs would get their grains/veggies etc in masticated & half digested form from stomachs of animals they hunt. Dogs with shorter digestive system sometimes cannot handle whole grain/veg/fruit/roots/legumes the way we can.

How to encourage dogs to eat veggie? ... Green veggie can be kinda bitter and have no attractive smell ... so we tipu the doggie lah ... we mix the green veggie stuff with the meat or with the sweet roots/fruits (like carrot, apples, dried apricots etc) ... and then tipu somemore - with a dash of honey or yoghurt (which our dogs love) ... mix it all up so dog cannot pick & choose ...

But I would not leave out greens altogether ... they do provide nutrients not available in fruits or roots ...

Caution: Check the other threads to identify what veggies/roots/legumes are good and NOT GOOD for dogs.

You wrote: " ... Is that the same as blending everything together for one meal? ..."

That sounds good to me ... Smile ... just add greens every now and again.

Yeaps ... htpol has a good point ... Smile

No problems with the questions ... take care ... cheers

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 10:36 PM

Post #105 of 341 (15772 views)
Shortcut

hi again.....hahah Cool

ok la I think I need to hold my horses. Getting too excited to 'pou' Sparkle sampai a little obsessed with his diet liao...kekeke

I took the opportunity to go home for lunch today to check on him. He was happy to see me, but unfortunately after greeting me he proceeded to 'water' the grass with his watery poop. Crazy I'm so mean because I stood there half consoling him and trying hard not to laugh cause he sounded like he was farting it out....bad mummy huh?? AngelicLaugh

Wah...really ah...human eye cream? The one I use also I jimat-jimat guna becos so expensive Pirate Now got to share with Sparkle summore PiratePirate Aiyooo but what to do...want him to look leng chai again. Will try that tonite. Oh by the way eye cream means moisturising cream for the eye area la...more gentle. hmmm while I'm at it I might as well ask Sparkle if he wants a face mask...heheh LaughLaugh

I forgot the name of the eye cream given by the vet. Will post up when I go home to check later..

LOL but if you look at it the other way, if your brain become 'toufoo' then how can ppl call u 'sifu'? Must have 'liu' only can mah...hahah Wink

(This post was edited by cshellz on Aug 29, 2003, 10:51 PM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 29, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #106 of 341 (15767 views)
Shortcut

how not to call u sifu? Tipu dogs also u know how to teach....hahahaha AngelicLaugh

Thanks ya! Cool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 2:35 AM

Post #107 of 341 (15760 views)
Shortcut

... *errr* ... no sifu ... please ... just surchinmy is good ... thanks ... Smile... otherwise become toufoo head and then cannot post any more ... Tongue

houyee
Novice

Aug 30, 2003, 11:01 AM

Post #108 of 341 (15752 views)
Shortcut
diarrhea [In reply to] Can't Post

well sudden change in food is not good and will usually result in diarrhea.

raw meat can be contaminated with salmonella plus other pathogens which can lead to food poisoning. best to cook it if it is not fresh from the market or is frozen. cooking can also eliminate worms such as taenia of which part of their life process is burrowing into muscles or forming cysts.

doesn't matter which kind of liver. best to cook it.

kibbles especially premium/super premium are nutritionally balanced and do not require supplementation.

g'luck.
zippy 'rowena' kojak

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2003, 4:56 AM

Post #109 of 341 (15740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [houyee] diarrhea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile ...

You wrote: " ... kibbles especially premium/super premium are nutritionally balanced and do not require supplementation ..."

The following make interesting reading:

*** Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard H. Pitcairn DVM Phd, Susan Hubble Pitcairn

*** The Nature of Animal Healing : The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat by Martin Goldstein D.V.M.

*** Protect Your Pet: More Shocking Facts by Ann N. Martin

*** Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard, Kerry Brown

*** Grow Your Pups with Bones by Ian Billinghurst BVSc

Cheers

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2003, 10:22 AM

Post #110 of 341 (15731 views)
Shortcut

Sparkle went for dip #3 today Pirate Surprisingly he's ok...not sedated at all. He's been in and out of the clinic so often that when I came to collect him today he was roaming about playing with the doc and nurses Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2003, 10:37 AM

Post #111 of 341 (15729 views)
Shortcut

... *AAAHGH* ... a third dip ... okay ... me is keeping ma' mouth shut even ... Tongue ...

Just glad Sparkle is doing well ... roaming around and visiting his girlfriends ... LOL ...

Say, did you ask the vet about the wrinkled skin around his eyes?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2003, 11:05 AM

Post #112 of 341 (15728 views)
Shortcut

yes, I did.

The colour (two possiblities)
1) Spitzies have black lines around their eyes. It could look like this under the fur (the colour). This kinda makes sense.

2) Sparkle has weird pigments all over his body. Has funny black patches of skin (looks like a cow) even below his thighs...has been like this since puppy. His nose also has a very prominent black spot right above his nose. If you look at my avatar closely, u can see it too..

Wrinkles (possiblity):
2) The wrinkles were caused by the swelling of the eyes before we started treatment. It's not swelling anymore...so that could be the reason it's temporarily looking that way. Should be ok soon.

Meanwhile, leave the cream the vet prescribed and leave it to heal...will check on him next week (Another vet visit...sigh)

Girlfriends? haha perhaps.....they seem to quite like him. Every week he goes back now the staff there are very nice and friendly to him and he's just so happy to see them too. Apparently they said he's friendly and doesn't move around when they bathe him....hahah Cool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #113 of 341 (15720 views)
Shortcut

... ah ... ok ... am sure the wrinkles will go soon Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 12:21 AM

Post #114 of 341 (15717 views)
Shortcut

Hey Michelle....Sparkle went for 3rd dip huh Unsure.....how is he doing now? How many more dips did the vet say he still needs?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 7:08 AM

Post #115 of 341 (15710 views)
Shortcut

Sigh...Sparkle ransacked my handbag today...all scratched up, chewed up my handphone (cover and battery habissss) PirateMad tissue paper also chewed up and my credit card also he was chewing...and I had some chewing gum too he also chewed that. Left a patch of chewing gum on the carpet for me to clean up....Pirate

Really feel like giving him away now!!!PiratePirate My handphone....really heartache.........Frown

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 7:10 AM

Post #116 of 341 (15709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrown ya lor....*sigh* Dunno when will be the last one also. Not only he had the dip, he also had the jab. Next week gotta go back again...but dunno if he needs it still or not. I got the green light from vet to use the lemon solution one day after the dip.

Surprisingly ah...this time after the dip that fella like nothing only wor...running around and not looking sedated at all. And we took off the e-collar cause he's not scratching anymore Cool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #117 of 341 (15706 views)
Shortcut

oh dear ... but you know accidents will happen ... Smile ... and you are not giving him away ... Tongue ...

besides ... now your handphone has character ... like sean connery ... all lines and look of wisdom ... Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #118 of 341 (15703 views)
Shortcut

yeah but this is kinda an annoying accident! Have to check if my credit card still works or not...or else have to change it. Hopefully they can change my handphone cover also..

hahaha character? He didn't scratch it. It's just filled with his teeth bite...yeah there are actually so many tiny holes on the phone now. Mad

yah I can't give him away. As of now he's worth a lot of vet visits and one handphone. Value has gone up Tongue

airdrigh
Novice

Sep 6, 2003, 9:06 PM

Post #119 of 341 (15682 views)
Shortcut

Hi cshellz and the rest who have been posting in this thread. Thanks for starting such an informative thread cshellz! I have a 1 yr old dobermann named Baron and from a pup he has been suffering from mange. guess its demodex of the dry type because the vet can't seem to find any pustules or mites or anything like that, his hair is just falling in specific areas and certain parts of his skin has bumps but not watery. Anyway he was on a dose of ivermectin but to no effect and have been bathing him in malaseb every week, but I think the problem is just being contained rather than improving. Have more or less resigned myself to living with his hair like that. but after reading all your postings, I might try some of the remedy's especially the lemon, garlic as well as feeding him with natural food rather than kibble. His lymphnodes are also badly swollen and the vet said it couldn't be helped, just put him on antibiotics, but hasn't really cleared up and his right hind leg is swollen but does not restrict his running at all, he doesn't seem bothered by it...so it's all quite stressfull on me but can't seem to find a vet that know's whats going on. Oh yeah the other thing is I think his paws are swollen as well also probably due to the mange I suspect. I read somewhere that dobermanns are particularly prone to skin problems.....So if you guys have any suggestions other than what I have already read in this thread, please feel free to share with me. Oh the other thing I tried was a full shave and engine oil mix with sulphur. a friend of mine recommended it, it has helped some dogs but didn't really help mine. I did it twice but still the problems persisted. Actually the engine oil mix does sound scary but think it does help to a certain extent and washing it after it has dried a few days is less troublesome than it sounds. The vet also asked me to try the drips, but it is quite difficult a the vet i go to is really far away and transportinghim to and fro can be quite tiresome. Ayway thanks once again for sharing some of the remedies here. Will try them out sometime and hopefully I will post some updates on the progress.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 7, 2003, 2:21 AM

Post #120 of 341 (15678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdrigh] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile

Just some observations & suggestions if I may ...

(a) You say your dober was given "a dose" of ivermectin ... if I recall correctly, for invermectin to be effective against dermo mange - the vet actually has to prescribe a "course of treatment" and not just one dose ... (perhaps you can double check with a 2nd vet) ...

(b) Although Malaseb can be very effective for certain skin conditions ... it is very strong ... Constant use over prolonged periods may bring about side effects ... There are other shampoos that serve same/similar function to Malaseb but not so strong ... if you wish to know more plse post your email addy & I will provide the name ... we are not supposed to mention brand names in this forum.

(c) For best effect ... the natural lotions/washes ought to be applied together with a change to a "healthier" diet ... but the provision of a healthier diet requires that you do research to learn how to prepare & feed a wholesome diet with or without kibble supplement ...

Swelling of lymph nodes can be serious ... suggest you seriously consider getting another vet to examine your dog and give 2nd opinion ...

Here's wishing your doggie gets well ...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 8, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #121 of 341 (15668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdrigh] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi airdrigh, Smile

sorry to hear about your dog and glad you found this thread. Hopefully some of the remedies posted up can help your doggie

Have you been to another vet to get a second opinion? About the swelling of lymphnodes and paws....my puppy didn't suffer from that. What he got was a swollen dewclaw and eye.

You can try all the natural remedies posted up by ginl. I'm personally using the lemon solution to bathe my puppy now and he's showing very promising improvement. The diet tips posted by surchinmy is definitely very helpful too. Since these are all natural stuff, I see no harm in you trying them out.

Also, is your dog scratching the affected areas? If he is, I'd suggest you put him on the e-collar the next trip to your vet. If they scratch it might aggravate the problem. My pup was wearing the collar for more than a month. But it prevented him from scratching and I think that helped greatly in his recovery.

How bad is your doggie's condition now? While many don't suggest the dips....I must admit that the first dip that my puppy went for (although he was sedated and drowsy for a few days) did bring down the swelling of his eyes. He's had a total of 3 dips so far and today when he went for his check up, the doc said he can do without it already. My personal suggestion is...if your dog's condition has reached a stage when it needs immediate and quick cure, do the dips. It might be very painful to see your dog in that sedated state but at least it's going to kill the mites. However if your dog is barely showing any serious symptoms yet, please do try out the lemon solution. You can wash him with that in the affected areas daily. It will work but it might take time.

If you don't mind me saying, regardless of how troublesome it is to take your dog to and fro the vet, it's better you do that now than to let the problem grow worse. If the problem has been around for that long chances are slim that his immune system will fight it off by itself. Best is to get him treated early. Mange is a very troublesome problem and recovery time is pretty long (I myself have been in and out of the vet for more than 2 months, every weekend without fail)....but what to do, we all only want the best for our furkids so we'll have to do everything we can to cure the problem.

Hang in there....Sparkle and I wishes Baron a speedy recovery! Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 8, 2003, 8:18 AM

Post #122 of 341 (15667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

good news guys!!

Sparkle went for his check up today and the vet announced he doesn't need anymore dips! CoolCoolCool Said the fur's growing well but it'll take time for it to grow back fully. He doesn't even need to go back every week now. His visits are reduced to once in 2 weeks!!

YAY!!!!!!! Smile

Meanwhile, he's still continuing with all the supplements plus I'm washing his affected area with the lemon solution everday. I think these stuff are really helping!! Will post updates as we go along..

Thanks guys...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 8, 2003, 8:39 AM

Post #123 of 341 (15665 views)
Shortcut

Good news ... glad its all getting better ... Smile ...

Hugs to Sparkle ...

mackmack
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 12:50 PM

Post #124 of 341 (15654 views)
Shortcut

Wow~ glad to hear that! it's about the up & down of Sparkle suffering from Mange!Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 4:51 PM

Post #125 of 341 (15652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy, mackmack] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

ahh...thank u guys...Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my