First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 4:44 PM

Post #1 of 341 (34071 views)
Shortcut
Mange Can't Post

Hi guys,

How about we have a discussion on Mange here? We can discuss its symptoms, types of mites, prevention, cure, how to care for dogs with mange, how to test for mange etc etc..

Easier to do a search and we can all pool our thoughts to educate ourselves and others

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 341 (34044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Extracted from: ThePetCenter.com

DIAGNOSIS

Demodex mites usually create irregularly shaped, mildly irritated areas of hair loss. The skin is usually not inflamed and the lesions are not highly pruritic (itchy). Conversely, Sarcoptic mite lesions are very pruritic, inflamed and scabs may be present.

The diagnosis is made by doing a skin scraping of the affected area and placing the scrapings on a microscope slide. Usually the material scraped from the skin is mixed with mineral oil and then examined under the microscope. (NOTE: Sarcoptic mites are rarely visible via skin scrapings and are therefore very commonly misdiagnosed as an allergic skin disorder because the veterinarian "couldn't see any mites. Demodex mites are plentiful and seem to be easily detected via skin scrapings even though they spend most of their time deep in the hair follicles

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 5:00 PM

Post #3 of 341 (34043 views)
Shortcut

Extracted from: ThePetsCorner.com

AN EXPLANATION ABOUT MANGE

Demodex in the dog is a common infestation of the dog’s skin with tiny, cigar-shaped, eight-legged mites. The mites reside and feed in the hair follicle and oil glands of the skin. Also called Mange, which is a general term used to describe any kind of mite infestation, Demodex is generally less severe than Sarcoptic mite infestation.

Fortunately, most cases of Demodectic mites are self-limiting… that is, the animal is able to arrest the reproduction and growth of the mites and eventually repair the damage they do. Once eliminated, most dogs do not acquire another infestation; the dog’s immune defenses are primed to eliminate any new Demodex mites that happen to find themselves on the dog. However, there are certain individual dogs that, because of genetic programming, do not produce the specific immune factors that will target the mites for destruction. That specific lack of adequate immune defense against the mites is a hereditary aspect of the disease that can predispose an infested dog to a severe, unresponsive case of Demodex. Many veterinarians believe that all dogs have small numbers of Demodex mites residing in the skin and that having a few mites is normal and common. It is when immune related, or nutritional or environmental stresses impact the dog that visible skin lesions from mite infestations become noticeable. Seen most commonly in young dogs, and rarely in cats, Demodex skin lesions are usually transient, but occasionally in certain individuals the mites will totally overwhelm the dog's skin.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 5:01 PM

Post #4 of 341 (34040 views)
Shortcut

Extracted from: ThePetsCorner.com

TREATMENT

In dogs with very mild, localized, small skin lesions some veterinarians do not treat the dog at all. Other veterinarians will always treat a Demodex lesion with topical medications appropriate as an insecticide. (Some home remedies are harmful so always consult with your veterinarian about any kind of skin lesion and the safest and most effective therapy.)

It is vitally important that all dogs (not just dogs with health problems) be consuming a high quality, meat-based diet with proper amounts of high quality fat. Any dog, especially a growing pup, that is consuming a cheap, grain-based diet will not fare as well as the dog eating a high quality diet. In general, the better diets are higher in price so do not let your decision about what to feed your dog be dictated by the cost. The nutritional aspects of skin disorders is an often overlooked "treatment" and should always be considered when a health impacting situation is present.

Mitaban is commonly used treatment for Demodex and has a proven record of successes. This prescription-only product is diluted with water and applied to the dog's skin according to the product directions. Repeated applications are almost always required. On occasion a veterinarian may decide to use a product called Ivermectin. This product must be very carefully calculated regarding dosages that are effective and not toxic. The use of Ivermectin in treating Demodex needs to be discussed with the owner prior to use since it has not been labeled for use against Demodex.

A new product called Revolution is being used to treat Demodex. It is applied as a liquid to a small area of the skin and spreads throughout the skin's oil surfaces.

Lime-Sulphur dips have been used in the past but there are more effective methods that have been favored in recent years.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 5:03 PM

Post #5 of 341 (34038 views)
Shortcut
Re: Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

There....one of the better sites I've read about Mange.

Let's discuss!! Anyone with any knowledge, experience, advice, comment, secret remedies please post them here! Smile

htpol
Novice

Aug 13, 2003, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 341 (34034 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

There is a product in the market claimed that is effective to treat demodex mange. The ingredients are ascorbic acid, palmitic acid... etc. which is originated from the fruit seed extract. According to the scientific data provided it's effective to kill those microorganism including ticks, fleas, mites, bacteria, fungus and viruses. The contents of the organic components is 20000 ppm and the most resistant strain of bacteria is Pseudomonas --5000ppm(MIC). Therefore, it has an immediately killing germs effect. I found that it's effective on my dog with fungal infection. The photo showing in the pet shops are severe demodex mange in a bull mastiff. It takes about 35 days for recovery. Since I don't have mange problem on my dog, I don't know how effective when come accross with mange. Besides that, I think Ivermectin or some chemicals (amitraz) are the first choice to treat the demodex mange.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 7:39 PM

Post #7 of 341 (34025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [htpol] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi htpol,

Thanks for your reply. Smile Can I ask what were the symptoms of fungal infection in your dog?

My puppy is now suffering from some kind of skin problem which I strongly suspect is Mange. Been to the vet a few times already but he says it isn't. My dog's condition now: Losing fur on front legs, muzzle, around the eyes. Rashes with pimple and pus on one thigh, and inflammation of the dewclaw. A little infection in his left eye. Fortunately his eye and dewclaw seems to be improving, but he's still losing fur. So just wanted to know if fungal infections bring about these symptoms too.

Btw, what product are you talking about? If you don't mind, could you forward me the name/website address of the mentioned product? I could check it with my vet this weekend when I take my dog there again. If he says it's not mange again, then perhaps I can try out the product you're talking about.

Thanks! Cool

htpol
Novice

Aug 13, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #8 of 341 (34024 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I think the product is not well established for the time being due to lack of support on technical issue. I got it from the pet shop in ss2. Well, my dog was having serious ticks problem initially. There were about 20 parts of the skin having the allergic reaction due to the ticks bites. The hair loss of coz on the bite size, finally the color of skin has changed to black color and the lesions is about 50 cts coin size. I believe this is fungal infection and complicated with bacterial infection as I have noticed pus on the skin lesion.

From your description, I think probably your dog is having the mange problem but it could be identified by the vet.

The manufacurer of the products are from Spain but they have not enough data to support it that is indicated for mange. Again, I don't have the details of the company including the websites. However, there is no harm for trying it as the contents are purely natural. Bear in mind that, the products are natural and it really takes a month to get complete recovery.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 8:28 PM

Post #9 of 341 (34025 views)
Shortcut

Thanks cshellz … think you have produced a very good description/summary of Demo Mange.

“Fortunately, most cases of Demodectic mites are self-limiting… that is, the animal is able to arrest the reproduction and growth of the mites and eventually repair the damage they do … the dog’s immune defences are primed to eliminate any new Demodex mites … However, there are certain individual dogs that, because of genetic programming, do not produce the specific immune factors that will target the mites for destruction. That specific lack of adequate immune defence against the mites is a hereditary aspect of the disease that can predispose an infested dog to a severe, unresponsive case of Demodex … It is when immune related, or nutritional or environmental stresses impact the dog that visible skin lesions from mite infestations become noticeable … but occasionally in certain individuals the mites will totally overwhelm the dog's skin.”

“Ivermectin” is effective, but please make sure your vet is familiar (or find a vet who is familiar) with this treatment, it has to be very carefully carried out.

As your posting suggests, (a) the existence of Demo Mange is not uncommon in dogs. And a healthy dog’s natural resistance controls Demo Mange pretty well (and may only need a booster now and again) and (b) only becomes a serious problem when a dog’s natural ability to combat Demo Mange is compromised, whether by some genetic limitation or some nutritional/environmental stress.

Unfortunately, have seen more and more puppies exhibiting mild to serious infection of Demo Mange, particularly with pet shop puppies (presumably puppies from uninformed/irresponsible breeders or puppy mills). But have also seen this condition in puppies from some better-known breeders. In its early or mild stages, Demo Mange is not so easy to identify.

Although the general consensus among the breeders I know is that dogs carrying a genetic disposition to Demo Mange should not be bred from … too many breeders don’t care … but that is probably a story for another posting.

As I understand it, topical or internal treatment of Demo Mange for dogs suffering from genetically induced Demo Mange is only a temporary solution. The treatments merely reduce the mange infection so as to give the dog a chance to recover its health and increase its natural immunity levels …

It is therefore very important for a dog generally predisposed to Demo Mange to maintain its overall health and immunity system. When their health & immunity levels drop, the mange infestation returns …

Secret remedies?

For serious cases, I would hesitate to prescribe home remedies ... a good knowlegble vet is best but please make sure your vet understands Demo Mange.

While the dog is recovering ... any natural topical form of skin lotion is helpful and helps the dog feel more comfortable ... Mild T-tree or neem oil lotions seem to work. Aloe vera is also good. Cannot go wrong if you also research natural remedies for maintaining healthy skin, primrose oil etc ...

But the treating of genetically induced Demo Mange is a long term affair ... Which brings us back to diet … And I would definitely agree that a balanced fresh raw diet is the best and most effective long term protection from Demo Mange. Sufficient exercise and exposure to sunlight also helps maintain a more active immune system.

Found the following books very helpful on natural treatments, and I seem to remember seeing both in local bookshops.

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
by Richard H. Pitcairn, Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Preface)

Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs: Small Doses for Small Animals
by Donald Hamilton, Don Hamilton

Cheers

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #10 of 341 (34018 views)
Shortcut

hi htpol,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out at the petshop if I have the time b4 I take him to the petshop...will also bring this up with the vet to see if he has anything to say about it. Will check its ingredients when I do see it....if it's all herbs and made out of the naturals, there shouldn't be a problem esp if it's not taken orally. I presume Smile

Is your dog fully recovered now?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

Post #11 of 341 (34018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi surchinmy,

wow! what a detailed explanation! Cool

Thanks for your advice. I'm in the midst of doing some research online for some homeopathic solutions..

From what I gather, this mange problem like like humans who contract cold sores! It comes back over and over again because the virus is still there... dormant when u're fine and healthy, active when u're not and when ur immunity is low.

I did ask my vet about tea tree oil but he advised me to leave it to heal alone as putting it on my dog might encourage him to lick at the area more. He's now wearing the e-collar (for 3 weeks already!) so I guess I should try stuff like this now when he's still wearing it and unable to see his own limbs Crazy The fastest and most natural thing for me to try out now is probably the aloe vera and sunlight. My dog doesn't like being under the sun very much but we might have to try to tie him to the gate under the morning sun for about 5-10 mins to start off with. Hopefully that can help a little.

This weekend he's definitely getting a skin scrape. The doc has been telling me it's unecessary for 3 weeks now and I can't wait another week seeing him growing balder by the day. We're going to the vet for like 4 weeks in a row now!

Well, once again, thanks for sharing! If you remember anything else, please post it here! It might just help my little baby!

Thanks! Smile

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2003, 2:14 AM

Post #12 of 341 (34002 views)
Shortcut

hie michelle,
recently we bought a book on homoepathci remedies. author is george Macleod(MRCVS,DVSM, Vet FF Hom)
this is wat i extracted from it share with u

1.Follicular Mange- this form of mange attackes young animals, e.g under 1 year. 2 main types of condition exist:- 1. Squamous, 2. pustular.

Clinical Signs- a) squamous type: hair follicles r attacked by the mite which inhabits neighbouring sebacous glands. hair falls out at wide area of skin, although smaller area also affected. dryness n scalliness while a bluish discolouration develops over bare patches
b) Pustular type: hair follicles becomes seat for small pustules around mouth, outer elbow and hock n in the axillary region. extension of lesions lead to development of small fistule which secrete puss material

Treatment:-
a) Squamous type:
1)sulphur 30C-alters condition favourable to mite
2)KALI ARSEN. 30 C-for advance case
3)LYCOPODIUM 1M-stimulate hair growth

b)Pustular type:
1) - powerful action on purulent infections of hair follicles
2)KALI ARSEN 30C-same as in a)
3)SILICEA 30C-for cases showing extensions of lesions
4)CALC. SULPH 6x
5)MEZEREUM 6 C
6)THALLIUM ACETAS 30C

eh my hand tired edi lah type so much
u wan more info msn me lar
ahhaha!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 2:45 AM

Post #13 of 341 (33999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Joanne,Smile

wahh....thank u thank u..so touched that u did that Blush

If it's really Mange, then I think Sparkle is more or less showing more symptoms of the Pustular type. Frown BUt most important of all..........did the book tell where we can get those stuff and what they are?? And how to mix it? How to apply? or Wash? Soak??

thanks! Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 2:54 AM

Post #14 of 341 (33998 views)
Shortcut

Yes ... Smile ... exactly like cold sores with mites replacing virus ...

Find it a little strange that the vet is reluctant to do a skin scrape ...

Neeways ... I have a number of books etc on natural remedies ... and a very good vet ... so if you wish to discuss more or wish particulars you can email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com ... Don't think we are supposed to discuss vets and such like on this forum ...

cheers

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2003, 3:16 AM

Post #15 of 341 (33994 views)
Shortcut

yea i was thinking pustular type also. if u wanna read more i can lend the book to u lar...

homoepathic remedies come in pillules, its small small round lactose infused pills wan...very much smaller then average tablets.
u wan to get those stuff arh......i duno bout the vets here n stuff....but i can help u lar...
and feed it to the doggies according to the dosage..usually 1 pillules every fews hours or something depending on the severity of diseases.
and give 15 mins before food n drink..and u canot touch the pillules cos your hands contain oil/sweat that might alter the compositon of the pillules lar.

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 6:42 AM

Post #16 of 341 (33988 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle,

Im going to paste and advice given to me by a holistic board on mange. It also includes homeopathic remedy posted by Joanne here (extracted frm the same book source)....it's a bit long but well worth the info and knowledge if you read it thoroughly :

Gina, I am going to copy/paste information on Holistic Treatments of 2 types of Mange which I hope you will find useful. They are well used, have proved to be very good.
Yes, you need to Detox your dog, you can get a good homeopathic detox from DetoxRules@aol.com or you can order it from www.caninecaregroup.net, Remedy Page, then click on Pets4Homeopathy and go from there. You do need to build up the Immune System, again on the CCG website, you will find some articles on what damage all different types of chemicals and medications can do to our animals. Please go there and read them. Vaccines are the worst thing. If you have a dog in this situation, your vet should not even suggest vaccinating. I appreciate you need to give Rabies, but if a dog is in ill health you can get a waiver from your vet until things are sorted out.
You have choices. You can vaccinate and use homeopathic remedies alongside those vaccinations to try and negate the toxic effect or remove the toxins that are in the actual vaccines, the list is long and if you saw it you would never vaccinate again. You can choose not to vaccinate but keep homeopathic vaccine nosodes on hand should they ever be required, or you can vaccinate homeopathically. The same applies to Parasite and Flea control, all this can be done holistically/homeopathically. Please DO NOT dip this dog. You are going to cause more problems than you know. The Diet also is essential. It must be a natural diet, a good homecooked diet or a holistic kibble diet......whatever is easy and we do have a diet topic page that I know will give you good advice on this subject. So, here are the articles, read them, and if you have any queries as to how or where to buy remedies, please write back.
I am not that struck with the aromatherapy to be honest and I have tried it in the past. I find that the homeopathic route, using a proper Detox first, gives benefit but it will take time. Do not give this dog any other medications unless they are required for life saving purposes. My main concern if I was treating him would be to get the Immune system strong, the skin regularly cleansed and the remedies listed below into the dog to start fighting off infection, which can set in, and cleanse the blood. All of this will help your dog.
Hope this is enough information, if not, please do get in touch. Sam

***Without any doubt you need to get this dog onto a Detox which will remove all the toxins caused by all these medications. These are not really helping the dog. It is fairly obvious that he cannot cope with them and his Immune System is taking a real beating.
Lita can also provide this, along with a blood/immune/infection remedy which will back up the Detox and I think she will be able to supply you with a homeopathic steroid.
There are other ways to control Mange, and rather than dips, perhaps you could consider these.
This is from my website, perhaps it will help you match the symptoms to a remedy. It would help you a lot to visit the site, which is www.caninecaregroup.net and read the Holistic Health topic which explains about the Immune System and a ton of other things that may just guide you through this until we can get some remedies to you.
If you can start giving him doses of Echinaceah or Astragalus which you can get from a health store, it will make a start in building up his immune system.

Follicular Mange

This form of mange attacks young animals under one year
although the effects may be noticed at a later stage. There are two main
types in this condition

Squamous and 2. Pustular, depending on the ages
of skin attacked, whilst the type of skin also plays a part. A weak immune
system is also a cause.
The mite is the cause and there is a predisposition to the disease
congenitally.

Squamous type - hair follicles are attacked by the mite, which also
inhabits the neighbouring sebaceous glands. The hair soon falls out giving a
bald appearance over a wide area of skin, although smaller areas may also be
affected. Corrugation of the skin is the outcome together with dryness and
scariness whilst a bluish discoloration develops over the bare patches.
Pruritus is generally absent.
2. Pustular type - in the form the hair follicles become the seat of small
pustules most often seen around the mouth, outer elbow and hock and in the
auxiliary region. Extension of lesions leads to the development of small
fistulae, which secrete Pustular material.
Treatment.

Type 1

Sulphur 30c - a good general remedy which alters the conditions favourable
to the development of the mite. Dose on twice daily for a week.

Kali.Arsen.30c - suitable for more advanced cases, which begin to show
corrugation of the skin. The animal may be restless and seek warmth

Lycopodium 1M - this remedy will help stimulate growth of hair provided the
disease is not too far advanced and destruction of hair follicles has taken
place. Dose one daily for one week.

Type 2

- possess a powerful action on purulent infections of hair
follicles. In this potency will abort the pustular process. Dose one daily
for one week.

Kali. Arsen 30c - as for type 1

Silica 30c - a useful remedy for those cases showing extension of lesions
into fistulae dose one daily for five days

Calc.Sulph.6c - this is also a useful remedy for healing Pustular lesions,
with small yellowish scabs. Dose one three times daily for three days

Mezereum 6c - a remedy which is more useful when the lesions are chiefly on
the head or face. Small scabs coalesce and cover purulent areas. Dose one
twice daily for one week.

Thallium Acetas 30c - Thallium in potency possesses the power of obviating
the effects of trophic lesions on the skin and subcutaneous tissues. It
thus encourages growth of hair on denuded areas and is suitable for long
term remedy in both forms of mange. Dose one twice weekly for one month.

Also, use Bach Remedies Crab Apple and Hawthorn for approx. 4 - 6 weeks or
stop when you see an improvement if before then.
You can also use Aloe Vera, garlic, parsley, wormwood, and cloves.
The basic problem is poor immune system and the diet, which needs to be
totally preservative free. Use garlic raw in the food up to 2 cloves.

Here's a herbal treatment - demodex can be hard to get rid but if the dog
is in general good health including natural raw diet, plenty of exercise
and daily grooming this is worth a try.
"Save all used lemon halves and place in a gallon container, at least 24
halves to the gallon. Place the jar or container in the hot sunlight or
pour hot water over the lemon. let the lemon remain in the water until
pieces begin to turn mouldy, then remove and replace with fresh ones,
squeezing hard the old ones into the water. Do not throw away any of the
old lemon water which then remains. Rub the lemon potion into all parts of
the dog's body to expel the skin vermin. When pomegranates are available,
the peel can be added to this lemon lotion with great advantage. Use the
skins from three pomegranates to every nine lemons. (keep jar covered with
a paper top -not greased paper)"

For the demodectic mange I would suggest using a lemon tonic that you
can make at home.

1 lemon whole lemon sliced thinly
1 pint water
bring water to near boil add lemons,
let steep overnight. Sponge on once a day.

The above recipe comes from the book by Dr. Pitcairn (I can never remember the title)

Below is how to prepare the treatment for the skin wash.

This "recipe" by Pitcairn has worked for me in order to treat very
different kinds of skin problems. Since there are a few out ther,
thought I might send it along (from Pitcairn&Pitcairn "Natural health
for Dogs&Cats"):

- Slow boil in a liter of water 4 lemon skins (I squeeze the juice
for lemonade) for about 20 min.
- Let it cool down for about 1 hour
- Put it in a closed container and leave it a couple of days (for the
natural oils to "dissolve"... I think that there is some kind of
rotting going on as well, which helps quite a bit)
- Strain it into a squieting bottle
- Squirt freely over damaged skin (sounds crazy, but actually soothes
quite a bit and the D-limonene helps in skin recovery)

You start seeing results in about 6 days in my experience. I added my
personal touch: 4 teabags of chamomille in the boiling water.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #17 of 341 (33984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gina,

Thanks for posting this up! I told u the other day it's very mah farn but I'll try the lemon tonic this weekend. Your Ah Cuit want or not? hehe when it's all mouldy and yucky u can come tapau some for him Tongue

Looks like this weekend will be a busy one for me - fermented lemon tonic la, coconut water la, natural food la, vet visit la, bathing & grooming la etc. Btw, I'm going to get 'the' herbal thing to mix in to his food liao. Hopefully it will help with his air growtn. His left eye is almost all botak all around. Pink eyelids. Sigh Unsure

but what to do, baby is sick mummy has to nurse him back Smile Luckily got all these kind ppl who shares all the remedies for Sparkle.

kam seah!

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #18 of 341 (33982 views)
Shortcut

Actually it doesn't turn visibly mouldy if u hv it in a sealed bottle container....if u don't close the lid properly then it'll turn really mouldy and disgusting and utterly gross! Experienced that once and I wanted to pengsan Crazy so make sure u close it properly Tongue

Hope Sparkle will get well soon Smile

htpol
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 10:17 PM

Post #19 of 341 (33974 views)
Shortcut

cshellz,

Yes! I can say that my dog has fully recovered. The hair has growth back and I didn't see any skin lesion since I have stopped applying the spray for 45 days. The pet shop owner advised to keep on spray for maintenance but as you know we are lazy to do that since we have no more trouble on it. Unless the problem has recurred. So far, I have settled the ticks problem and I believed that is the main reason caused the skin problem on my dog. I will give you a report for the experience exchange if there is the case of recurring.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #20 of 341 (33971 views)
Shortcut

Hi htpol, Smile

glad ur dog is ok now. I will be trying out some homeopathic stuff suggested by some of the members. I will also report as we progress. Hope I have nothing but good news to share..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 16, 2003, 12:27 AM

Post #21 of 341 (33956 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Was just reading some of your postings on Sparkle ... both on this thread and other threads ... it does seem that you are trying a lot of different things over a short period of time ...

But from what I gather from your postings, Sparkle does not appear to be improving ... *sigh*...

Sometimes when we become anxious ... we try too hard (including myself ... been there, done that Crazy ) and we change or try too many things all at once ... In so doing, we can unknowingly stress out the dog (physically & mentally) and ... not so good neh ...

Often, with skin conditions, finding the source of the problem is more a question of elimination rather than direct diagnosis ... and by changing too many elements at the same time ... we inadvertantly make it difficult to determine the root cause ...

Given Sparkle's condition as you describe it "... His left eye is almost all botak all around. Pink eyelids ..." If this is after 4 weeks of visiting the vet, and 4 weeks of treatment ... it might be an idea to seek a second opinion from another vet ...

Here's wishing Sparkle gets well soon ...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 16, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #22 of 341 (33945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy,

yeah, I do agree...I think I'm beginning to get a little paranoid. Unsure But it's very saddening to see a dog (especially if it's mine) in a condition like this. I've browsed through the internet and I've seen some dogs with more severe problems caused by mange.....but still, nothing like seeing it on your own baby.

I have thought about seeking a second opinion. However I'm afraid that would cause further stress to my dog. You see, the vet I go to now has been seeing Sparkle since his second vaccination. He's seen and treated his past skin problems. And also he's seen Sparkle's condition over the last month. He chose to avoid jabs and medication and suggested stuff like changing kibbles and all that to try see if it was some other cause. I'm just afraid that if I take Sparkle to another vet now, he wouldnt be able to understand his problem well enough to treat him properly. You are right about the stress part. My intention was to avoid that...well at least I try to Frown

I understand that I should also try eliminate stuff to find the root of the cause. I started doing that from the very beginning. But this time it isn't a normal skin problem anymore....not an allergy. From what I've read Mange are caused by mites and why some dogs get it is because they are stressed (environmentally or physically) or when their immune system is weak. So the only way to cure this is to 1) Get rid of the pesky mites. 2) Build up his immunity.

Anyway I spoke to the vet last night and we have both agreed to send Sparkle to his clinic for the dip. Discussed the homeopathic treatments with him and he's been encouraging. He said that if that can work we can reduce the number of times for the dips as the chemicals are strong. The vet also suggested I leave Sparkle there because he's worried that I can't do it myself. So, what I can do at home is prepare the lemon tonic suggested by Gina while I leave Sparkle at the clinic lor...

Actually I asked around a lot but I haven't done anything to him yet until I've discussed with the vet. I need to do some homework and get opinions before I use it on him mah....I'm also worried I'll do the wrong thing.Pirate So now that we've worked out a 'plan' I hope to see results real soon. Meanwhile, I've been giving him supplements like Nutricoat, Brewers Yeast & Garlic, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin C, Echinacea & Astragalus plus Beta Carotene. Hehe...also coconut water and barley water Smile I dunno if it's because of all these stuff that his problems are not spreading all over. If you don't look at his face and front legs, he still has a very nice coat on his body. Very unlike the 'sample' pictures of the doggies I see on the Internet. But once u look at his eye then different story la....Unimpressed

It really helps to have a forum like this. I really learn a lot from the members who contribute! Anyway, I value your comments and suggestions. I will be posting up here about Sparkle's condition when there's a difference or when I'm trying something new. Please feel free to comment! Cool Hopefully through this 'case study' other members in the future would have a good place for reference if their dogs face the same problem Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 16, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #23 of 341 (33930 views)
Shortcut

Michelle, where'd you buy the Astragalus? I've tried to look for them before but cudn't find em Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 17, 2003, 7:05 AM

Post #24 of 341 (33921 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Sparkle has a good owner & friend Smile ... Can understand your reluctance about changing vets for Sparkle ... The lemon solution is good, have used it before and it helps ... Have also had to deal with Demo Mange - so if you need to discuss anything - just write ...

Here's wishing Sparkle & you all the best ... Get well soon Sparkle ...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 17, 2003, 9:10 AM

Post #25 of 341 (33914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

tell u when I see u ok?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my