Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Mange

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2004, 7:54 PM

Post #326 of 341 (23607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tuckersmommy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

As best I know ... pseudomonas is an opportunistic bacterial infection that is often resistant to first line antibiotics ...

Try these sites and see if there is any information useful to you ...

www.dermapet.com/prod-11.html

www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_infections.html

www.emedicine.com/PED/topic2701.htm

All the best

htpol
Novice

Oct 22, 2004, 9:43 PM

Post #327 of 341 (23603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tuckersmommy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Pseudomonas is resistant to most of the antibiotic. If the diagnosis is correctly, you can try Otomax with the content of Gentamycin, it's about 85% of successful rate to treat Pseudomonas. Alternatively, you can try Panolog but it's less effective than Otomax. Try to apply Otomax than spray with Orgaderm Spray. Itshould improve within 2 weeks.

fatt__
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 7:19 PM

Post #328 of 341 (23418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy,

My dog is also suffer from the skin problems. I'm not so sure that what is the exactly cause. I've seen two vet. The first vet told me that my dog has the malasseis(dont know the spelling) bacteria and give the medicine for that particular bacteria. after the medication, he still feel itchy and keep on scratching also.

Last week, i've visited the third vet. He've checked out that the malasseis bacteria has gone. but, he was not sure what is the major cause of the itching and he give me the steriod and antibiotic. i also use the medicated shampoo to bath him. But, he still feel itchy.

for the diet, i give him canidae. it is ok ?

This morning i've tried the lemon method. after,i put on his body. he still feel very itchy and it seen not worked or i need to do it few times then the lemon method will be worked?

Sometimes, he scratched his body until red and injured. Is it ok that i sponge him with the detol to kill the gem or bacteria? I can see the detol help his injured area cured.

Thanks

fatt

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 29, 2004, 9:13 PM

Post #329 of 341 (23409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fatt__] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sorry to hear about your dog ...

I think you mean "malassezia" ...

" ... Malassezia pachydermatitis is a common yeast organism that is found on normal and abnormal canine skin and ears. On normal healthy skin it causes no problems, but when the environment of the skin is altered for any one of many reasons, Malassezia can cause severe dermatitis or otitis (inflammation of the skin or ears respectively). Some of the factors that can lead to Malassezia dermatitis include moisture (as in dogs with skin folds or floppy ears with narrow ear canals), excessive waxy or scaly build-up (as in seborrhea), and allergic and bacterial skin disease ..."

Some things to remember:

(A) In about 50% of dogs - malassezia is a secondary infection ... meaning that malassezia is NOT the PRIMARY CAUSE of the dog's skin condition - therefore, treating malassezia alone, may not be sufficient. The underlying problem with the dog's coat MUST also be diagnosed and treated. The underlying or primary problem can be anything from seborrheaa, allergies or some other parasitic infection ...

(B) When a dog has complicated skin condition - the prescription of antibiotics & steroids often only provides short term relief ... once the medicine runs out - the problem returns ... Again, without identifying the possible PRIMARY CAUSE of the problem, simply prescribing general medication is often of little long term use.

You should ask your vet all the questions you have - a good vet will always make the time to give you his views and opinions. You must evaluate your vet (as you would evaluate your own doctor) ... and see if you are happy with that vet's method of treating your dog. If you are confident in your vet - then let your dog remain in that vet's care, if you are not happy, then seek 2nd opinion from another vet ... You should know when & why - when you change vets.

My suggestion is to take your dog to a good & exeprienced vet for proper tests and diagnosis ... sometimes the vet may have to go through a process of elimination to find the possible PRIMARY CAUSE ... skin infections can be hard to diagnose Crazy. So return trips to the SAME vet for follow-up examination may be necessary.

(C) Similarly - unless you know what the PRIMARY CAUSE is - applying home or homeopatic remedies may also be of little or no use.

If your dog is scratching so hard - until there are wounds ... then obviously the irritation is serious ... once wounds appear, the dog's condition can be complicated by other bacterial & fungal infections ...

And unfortunately - the PRIMARY CAUSE can be anything from a food or environmental allergy to parasitic infection ... And it is impossible to say over a forum, without seeing the dog. Certainly a good vet will be able to assist.

Until you determine the cause of the skin infection - I also suggest you stop using the lemon solution (which can dry the skin) ... if you wish to use dettol, make sure it is a very mild solution (dettol with plenty of water) ...

For the time being (and until a vet diagnoses the condition) ... I would simply use a mild solution of natural sea or rock salt in water ... and just wipe the the area 3 to 5 times a day ... the salt solution is a mild disinfectant (to keep wounds clean) and will help soothe the area ...

Alternatively ... a very mild solution of neem oil (well diluted in a carrier oil, eg: olive oil) ... may also be of some use. You can find pure neem oil in some pharmacies or in the Indian medicine shops. But you must mix with plenty of carrier oil - pure neem oil is too strong.

Get your dog to a good vet.

All the best.

fatt__
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 10:56 PM

Post #330 of 341 (23399 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for reply and advice,

My dog(schumann) is adopted from my friend. before that, he has no skin problems. after i get him, i change his food(cooked food) to kibble(alpo). at that time, i dint know more about the dog food. after a bag of alpo, i've found that he is itchy whole day.

so, i suspect the food cause him itchy. so, i switch back to cooked food(cooked raw chicken with rice), but he still feel itchy. then i switch the food again. finally, i found a good brand dog food(canidae) two weeks ago. So, do you think the skin problem is caused by the food allergy? but, i've switch him to better quality food also cant see the result.

Second thing, i suspect is the environment changed. may he feel stress in the new place and cause him the skin problems? or he need ppl accompany him at the day time. i work at day time, so nobody at home.

One of the pet shop suggest me to shave off all of his hair. i've tried this also. but dont know whether it help or not?

these are two major things changed after i adopted from the previous owner. I'm staying in JB now. so do you have any good vet recommend to me. i feel tired of trying new dog food, shampoo, and vet.

Another things, i'm using the virbac brand's shampoo called sebazole. i bath him twice a week. wat do u think about this shampoo. do this shampoo help?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 30, 2004, 8:07 PM

Post #331 of 341 (23378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fatt__] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

From your posting ... you are right, changing environment and/or routine can be stressful for a dog, and that stress can translate to skin issues. It could also be a food allergy. Maybe as you suspect, the food allergy was triggered when you changed from cooked food to kibble.

But again so hard to tell without seeing/observing dog.

With food/skin allergies - it often takes more than 2 weeks for the symptoms to subside, especially if some other form of bacterial or fungal infection also take hold on the weakened skin area ...

So - I would still try and find a good vet where you are - to examine the dog. Unfortunately, I don't know any vets in the Johore area.

If it is food related & and allergy - maybe you can try this:

(a) Suggested diet

Boil BROWN RICE till soft. Blend or chop carrots & green veggies until very fine (if you wish you can boil the carrots, but raw is ok too - provided you blend or chop into puree or very small pieces) ... Boil chicken or lamb mince in a little water (do not over cook) ... Mix everything together ... Mix enough for a week, then you can pack into bags and freeze - defrost a bag a day for feeding. Say 30% meat and 50% brown rice & 20% veggies. DO NOT add any salt or seasoning - plain is good.

And then when you feed ... say - on Monday, Wednesday & Friday - add some olive oil or evening primrose oil with a general dog supplement ... On Tuesday & Thursday - - add some vitagen & honey. On Saturday, add a little codliver oil ... On Sunday - this is fasting day - so, no food BUT plenty of water, to help cleanse the system.

Alternatively - you can get a hypo-allergnic type of kibble - and then add the mixture above into the kibble and feed.

Stop giving all pet-shop bought treats, especially no rawhide or treats with colouring. You can replace shop bought treats with fruit ... eg. sliced apple (no apple seeds) ... slices of papaya ... oranges ... even roots like carrots ... etc. Do research on internet to find out what you should NOT feed the dog.

If you follow the above - you will give the dog time to expell the allergens from its body.

(b) Shampoo

Virbac products are all quite good. I think you neam "Sebolux". Sebolux is a therapeutic shampoo for dogs & cats. It is supposed to remove scales & crusts associated with seborrhea, leaving skin clean. Also recommended for pet dandruff. Contains 2% solubilised sulfur, 2% salicylic acid. It is keratolytic and a mild antiseptic. So, it is a good general shampoo for dogs with "itchy" coat/skin.

Bathing twice a week is okay say for the first 2 weeks, to help control the itchiness - but after that, reduce the frequency of bathing to once a week - because too much bathing can dry out the skin & that too can cause itching ... Make sure you always rinse well, and leave no residue behind. Ideally, you should only be bathing say once in 2 weeks.

If it is allergy related - shaving the dog - well, don't think that will be much help unless the dog is really encrusted and you need to shave to make it easier to apply medication ...

All that said - I still think it is a good idea to get your dog to a good vet ... or to any vet and get a skin scraping done to elimiate all possibility of a parasitic infection ... at lease narrow the possible causes.

Cheers

fatt__
Novice

Dec 30, 2004, 8:26 PM

Post #332 of 341 (23371 views)
Shortcut

hi,

Thanks a lot. I'll try for it.

fatt

sheilakhiew
Dog Kichi

May 17, 2005, 1:36 AM

Post #333 of 341 (23190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cshellz

I would like to say a big thank you and really appreciated the infor that you and the rest of the dog lovers in this forum rgding demodex mange problem.

First of all, I wld like to explain that I have an english cocker spaniel (her name is Tammy) and she is 1yr & 1 mth old now. She starts to have this mange problem 2 mths ago. I have brought her to see the vet (which is a nice gentleman) and did skin scraping and confirm that it is demodex.

I love her vvvvv much and it's breaking my heart FrownUnsure and also scratching my head and hair rgding this problem. I treat my Tammy as one of my children.

The vet told me that it takes time to cure etc. and now he is given me medicines - itchy and antibiotic pills & a bottle of liquid (I think Bayticol) & ask to dilute 3 ml into a Coke-cola bottle (Big) & mixed with water & every 3 days after bathing and dry her 1st & apply with cotton wool with the liquid and rub on her. It is slowly healing but the problem still remains.

Please kindly give me advices, information, etc. on this mange problem.

For example, what to feed her with (have been giving her Nutri Source, later Purina - Lamb & Rice & now Nutro Choice - Lamb & Rice For Puppy), bathe her with (presently using Johnson's Tea Tree Shampoo and Coal Tar & Sulphur Shampoo), fed her with Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil, etc.

By the way I saw some medicines names, etc. for eg, orgaderm, mitaban, revolution, neem or tea tree oil, etc. where to get all these things. Hope you all can help and give me advice on this problem.

Sorry, by the way I live in OUG, KL.

Once again thank you to you all.

Sorry for been longwinded. Hope to hear from you guys or gals very soon.

Rgds/Sheila

shaun_sia
Novice

May 20, 2005, 1:45 AM

Post #334 of 341 (23171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheilakhiew] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

i have the mange problem with my stout, a one-yr old rottweiller .... he has been treated by many vets ...n can't get it cured.... When i was abt 2feel hopeless .... i took him to a vet in tmn mutiara ....where he was given a big tablet type of medicine daily for 2 mths.... n he is completely cured ... i am very pleased with his skin condition now....
since u r in kl ... if u r interested i will let u know the exact location to meet up with this vet...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 28, 2005, 9:31 AM

Post #335 of 341 (23104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheilakhiew] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Demo mange is a condition that takes time to resolve. There are may "suggested" methods of treatment ~ and the appropriate method of treatment depends on how serious the condition is ...

Providing good diet & nutrition is very critical ... because the better the diet, the stronger the dog's natural immunity ... and strong immunity helps bring demo mange under control.

Cheers

(This post was edited by Admin on May 31, 2005, 6:41 AM)

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Dec 1, 2005, 11:59 AM

Post #336 of 341 (22871 views)
Shortcut

hi hi

strange... based on so many posts, mange sounds very complicated n hard to cure... however, perviously vet told me that figo, my poodle has mange ( that was few months back) n he gave him a jab, a selinium shampoo n tich wash... after about 2 months under selinium shampoo n the tich wash, his fur started to grow n now he's a beautiful poodle !!! brought him back to the vet n he told me his skin is very healthy but still have to continue the selinium shampoo once a month...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2005, 9:11 PM

Post #337 of 341 (22867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JuStiN'doGgIe] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Not so strange really ... it all depends ...

(A) First ~ there are several types of mange ... and each requires a different treatment. Some are easier to treat, other variants are more stubborn ... Much also depends on the dog's general state of health.

ky.essortment.com/mangedogscats_rkon.htm

(B) Second ~ Because of the first reason ~ it is important to correctly identify the variant of mange affecting the dog so that the correct treatment can be applied. This is sometimes easier said than done for a multitude of reasons (a) Inexperienced owners often confuse symptoms of mange with other coat/skin conditions & allergies. Sometimes vets are equally confused or do not run the tests to identify cause.

(C) Third ~ demodectic mange (which is the type of mange infection primarily discussed in this thread) is genetic and can arise for a host of reasons, including low immunity ... and long term treatment requires several steps to be taken, including (a) reducing infection and/or spread, and (b) creating conditions & environment that allows the dog to strengthen its immunity & hence provide natural resistance to demo mange. All of which can be complicated or simple - depending on circumstances, health of dog & attitude of owner.

So - it all depends.

Am very glad that your dog's problem with mange was easily sorted out - wish the same for all.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 1, 2005, 9:16 PM)

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Dec 2, 2005, 6:51 AM

Post #338 of 341 (22857 views)
Shortcut

hey ya...

thanks for da reply, n the useful infos too Wink

great job n well done to u guys, the tips n infos shared here r very useful n HELPFUL as well... thumbs up !!!

regards, justin

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Dec 20, 2006, 8:33 PM

Post #339 of 341 (21729 views)
Shortcut

Hi surchinmy...

My pup also having mange. When we first bought her from the pet shop, she had it and the vet treated her with Ivermectin. Now she kena mange again after a couple of months, the vet told us it's different type of mange pula. What sort of raw diet should i put her on? Any recipes? She's currently being fed with Nutri Source, i chose that coz the ingredient claim to use real chicken meat only. Any recommendation for brand of kibbles tat is holistic/organic brand? Very heartache to see her being tortured by the itching.

ValerieSHeng
Novice

Nov 1, 2007, 10:34 AM

Post #340 of 341 (20831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry..you heard 'tactic' before..is a very strong medication and is very effective against mange as well..however, the new generation vets wont recommend use this..but the older generation vets will definately use this..is very cheap RM10.00 for a bottle...dilute with water and bath your dogs..make sure they dont licks and kena the eye...it works pretty fast...

My beagle recovers by using this...

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 3, 2007, 7:45 AM

Post #341 of 341 (20784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ValerieSHeng] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

do you still have this 'tactic' any labels? im interested in the active ingredient.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my