does ur dog suffer from bloating?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 18, 2003, 9:30 AM

Post #1 of 43 (4011 views)
Shortcut
does ur dog suffer from bloating? Can't Post

I am too sure about this but i read that dogs easily suffer from bloat especially big size dog.

What are the symptoms?

Hiccups?

vomit?

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #2 of 43 (4001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

i guess no dogs suffer from bloating then.

Unsure

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2003, 1:22 AM

Post #3 of 43 (3997 views)
Shortcut

here's a link for some more info. You can search more search engines "dog+bloat" i think you'll find plenty more webpages.

http://www.peteducation.com/...71&articleid=402

the breeds most prone to bloat are breeds with deep large chests like great danes,grey hounds and dobermanns.

hope this helpsSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #4 of 43 (3992 views)
Shortcut

hello rac
er does flatulence(fart) counts as a symptom?

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 4:26 PM

Post #5 of 43 (3990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the link. It explains alot!

I am just afraid of doodle because they tend to bloat. And even more afraid when bloating can cause death.

Last time when he was a puppy, he eats very fast. Now tend to slow down abit...

Good for a change

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2003, 5:58 PM

Post #6 of 43 (3988 views)
Shortcut

Your welcome Smile

I think bassie's should be ok...I mean the tendency to bloat is lower than most breeds. I'm not too familiar with the basset's anatomy..but their chests aren't deep..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #7 of 43 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Phew!

But sometimes he will *gag* choke choke... then some pieces will come out.

Quite sad to see other dogs bloat and then die. Unworthy to die because of bloat.

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 10:25 PM

Post #8 of 43 (3985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

i am not too sure about that. I haven't hear doodle fart or smell it. Sometimes can smell poo smell but not sure fart or not la.. hehehe...

does ur dog fart?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #9 of 43 (3983 views)
Shortcut

hehe..that one is because the dog is too "wai sek" and eat too fast, never chew properly.Tongue hmm..i think you should worry more abt his back..

not too sure if farting is a symptom..coz my dog farts.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2003, 7:31 AM

Post #10 of 43 (3982 views)
Shortcut

ahahha sure got lah.........Wink
must dogs fart! its only natural...all the fermented food producing the gas..ahaha

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #11 of 43 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Last time doodle eat real fast! But now slow down abit already. Phew!
Speaking of his back, how do we worry?
In another word, how to prevent ah? I heard that his body too long, he will suffer from the spine.

But he can climb stair case wan wor?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #12 of 43 (3976 views)
Shortcut

How do we know if they are bloating in the first place...

Jaz got fart ler at times! ahahhahhah!!!!

Smelly man!!! Crazy

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #13 of 43 (3974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

If your dog eat fast and doesn't chew. Just gulp gulp gulp only. Then you should keep an eye on him.

Then he might throw up also.

But according to realitydreamer, only certain dogs has higher risk.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 12:58 AM

Post #14 of 43 (3971 views)
Shortcut

No ler.. my dog eats damn slow... dont' think that would happen, but we would refrain from letting her running about, jumping up and down after meals... nanti kena apendics...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 5:10 AM

Post #15 of 43 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

well,i read somewhere that bloat happens when there's too much gas in the stomach. when this happens it 'floats' the stomach and the stomach FLIPS/TWIST. this causes the blood vessels to be contricted or something like that. Anyway i found some info on this a while back and i copied and pasted it from a file.

From Canine Connections' site: "Veterinarians call the ailment gastric dilation-volvulus or GDV...The first part of the name refers to a rapid accumulation of gas in the stomach. For some unknown reason the stomach doesn't empty normally. No food passes into the intestine, and no food passes in the other direction as vomit, either.

"The second part of the name refers to what can happen to the stomach with this condition. Sometimes the stomach flips over or twists clockwise on its long axis. When this happens, the spleen turns with the stomach. This turning compresses the caudal vena cava, one of the major veins carrying blood to the heart. The blood supply is cut off [from] the stomach, spleen, and some other organs. The dog goes into shock, and death is imminent."

From the Dog Owner's Guide's site on bloat: "Now a complex chain of physiologic events begins. The blood return to the heart decreases, cardiac output decreases, and cardiac arrythmias may follow. Toxins build up in the dying stomach lining. The liver, pancreas, and upper small bowel may also be compromised. Shock from low blood pressure and endotoxins rapidly develops. Sometimes the stomach ruptures, leading to peritonitis."

Symptoms of bloat include restlessness, salivation, and unsuccessful attempts to vomit. The stomach swells, and you can see and feel the distention in the abdomen.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 6, 2003, 5:34 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 5:24 AM

Post #16 of 43 (3966 views)
Shortcut

hmm...have to control his food. Make sure he doesn't grow too fast and don't put on too much weight.these are the main ones..i'm not sure abt excercise though..Unsure

bassest are not only prone to joint/bone problems but also back/spine problems because it is not natural for a dog to have such a long spine. eat too much and some bones will grow faster than others and cause many other problems like being over weightTongue.bassies also have the tendency to put on weight which will worsen any existing bone problems. Being overweight without any bone problems is a hazard itselfUnsure

hmm...i think all dogs can get bloat but the breeds more prone to bloat are breeds with large,deep chests..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 5:48 AM

Post #17 of 43 (3964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] does ur dog suffer from bloating? [In reply to] Can't Post

here is more about bloat(symptoms and how to help reduce the risk )

There are a few things you can do to try to reduce the risk factors for your dog. Large dogs should be fed from raised dishes, so that they don't have to bend so far over to reach food. Large dogs should be fed at approximately chest height. This helps reduce the amount of air they gulp while eating. Dogs that eat their food very rapidly can sometimes be slowed down by placing tennis balls or something similar into their dishes, so that they have to nose around the balls to get the food, thus slowing them down. Dogs prone to gulping a lot of water right after eating should have their water restricted to a small amount right after meals. Large dogs should be fed two or three smaller meals a day, instead of one large meal. Many people soak dry kibble in warm water before feeding so that it doesn't swell so much in the stomach, or feed wet food in combination with or instead of kibble, since wet food doesn't swell like dry kibble does. Kibble can be tested to see how much it will swell in the stomach. Take the amount of food you feed your dog, put it in a bowl, and add warm water--try to add approximately the amount that the dog seems to drink after eating. How much is that kibble swelling up, and does it seem like too much for the dog's stomach to handle? Some kibbles swell more than others, and some hardly swell at all, but become more the consistency of a good quality wet food. More "crumbly" then swollen. Some people use homecooked, raw or natural diets to reduce the risk, for the same reasons. (Dr. Pitcairn has a section in his book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats for natural treatments.) Also, adding yogurt to a meal can usually reduce the amount of gas produced during digestion (this is handy for reasons other than preventing bloat!). Dogs should not be allowed strenuous exercise or excitement for about an hour prior to, and two hours after a meal, but walking is good after a meal, because it helps stimulate the digestive system, and helps "move things along" as it were.

Finally, you know your dog better than anyone else, including your vet. Some dogs are very stoic about the pain or distress they feel. If this is the case with your dog, be sure to tell your vet. Make sure your vet listens to you (this is, of course, good advice for all situations with a vet--make sure you have one that listens to you). If the vet misjudges how much pain or distress your dog is in, she may misjudge the condition, and not take appropriate action.

Hope this helpsSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 6, 2003, 6:00 AM)

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 6:38 AM

Post #18 of 43 (3961 views)
Shortcut

thanks dreamer for such useful information!

Now, some owner that doesn't understand about bloating can refer here. Laugh

Doodle does grow up pretty fast. I am quite worried about his spine also. especially he likes to jump to reach for higher things.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 7:38 AM

Post #19 of 43 (3960 views)
Shortcut

SmileYour welcome . Glad i could help

maybe can minimize that? i'm not too sure..Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 7:25 PM

Post #20 of 43 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Can minimise his jumping. Put inside cage.

ahhahahaha..inside cage, he just sleep oni

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 7, 2003, 6:58 AM

Post #21 of 43 (3955 views)
Shortcut

lolSmile

then later become fat..hehe..sleep and eat only Tongue

kesian the poor guy...bad enough his legs so short..Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2003, 6:45 AM

Post #22 of 43 (3947 views)
Shortcut

I think day by day doodle is behaving better now. He listens and obey better. I am very proud of him.

I stop teaching him new tricks cause I am running out of tricks already! He can sit, hand, one more hand and bark without treats. Can BANG, and roll with treats.

I don't know what else to train him. But he can't heal cause he is very impatient. But can sit by me when I asked him to.
But when he is active, he will wants to play and start pulling our pants. What a weird behaviour!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 11, 2003, 8:40 AM

Post #23 of 43 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Smilethat's one of the best part of owning a dog

how bout fetch? kiss? high five? another useful ones..stop, let go,get it...

lol~cute..make sure your pants is tight..or else Blush
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2003, 6:07 PM

Post #24 of 43 (3941 views)
Shortcut

hahaha! Come to think of it ah, my pants also koyak already and Jeff's slack all got hole underneath.

One time, I was busy doing my own thing and he was dragging my shorts down. Luckily no one at home. If not, 'masuk cahaya'.

I am trying to input 'let go' to him but he seems to have a 'thing' for cloth. He loves cloth very much. And sometimes he does in purpose to grab a cloth and run away. He looks like santa claus with all those cloth around his mouth!

heheheh...

how to train kiss? fetch ah? he very lazy la.. each time fetch, he will lie down

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 11, 2003, 10:10 PM

Post #25 of 43 (3939 views)
Shortcut

lol...luckily not all expensive ones? or are they? if expensive ones..."sam tong"Unsure

hehe..somethings vert hard to teach a dog..hmm..maybe try with things he does not really like first la..like maybe paper ball or a rope..etc.. then when he release,praise him and as his reward play with him even more.. rougher and more fun or you can give him a treat...

do you have a pic of him looking like santa? sounds adorable LaughSmile

as for kiss...very easy..whenever your dog try to lick you, say kiss.when he licks you praise him Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my