IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Distemper, Parvo, Kennel Cough,...:
What Is Parvo

joonkeet

Jun 28, 2002, 8:21 PM

Post #1 of 7 (14359 views)
Shortcut
What Is Parvo Can't Post

The canine parvovirus can be transmitted by direct contact or indirectly by contact with vomit, diarrhea or any contaminated discharges from an infected dog. It strikes with a quick vengeance, and pet owners often make the comment that their dog was up and playing a few hours prior to the animal becoming extremely ill. Unfortunately, parvo is often fatal.

Do not Take your puppy out of your home where it can infect or be infected until it has had the complete series of shots. By keeping it isolated you may save its life.

Talk with a reputable Veterinarian about the recommended shots or vaccination for your puppy.

If you've recently lost a dog to Parvo, veterinarians recommend that you wait six months to a year before putting a new puppy or non-vaccinated dog in to an infected environment (even if you have disinfected it). To immediately bring an animal into a situation where one has recently died of Parvo is a virtual death sentence for the new puppy. Common sense and regular visits to the veterinarian can save your dog's life.

The symptoms of Parvo include... a sudden onset of vomiting, bloody diarrhea, dehydration, lethargy, high temperature and sometimes sudden death. Symptoms are similar in adults, although they can be less acute.

Because Parvo attacks swiftly, time is of the essence. If you feel your dog has been exposed to Parvo, or it is showing symptoms, contact your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary hospital immediately.

F-Strain Virus

There is a recent mutation of the parvo virus which is more virulent. It attacks the lower intestinal tract or large intestine. Dogs contracting this new strain will have accelerated symptoms. Care should be given immediately!

Symptoms to watch for:
Gelatin-like stool with some blood.
Vomiting with bile and foam.
Rapid weight loss (within a few hours after becoming ill.)

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

ShiShi

Nov 5, 2004, 3:02 AM

Post #2 of 7 (13817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joonkeet] What Is Parvo [In reply to] Can't Post

Good day.

I bought a Shih Tzu last month from a pet shop, but less than 2 weeks after that "he" died because of Parvo virus.

U mentioned that the best way is 2 get another pup after 6 months 2 1 year. That's a very useful information 2 me. Anyway, may i know other than waiting 4 6 months 2 1 year, do i need 2 take any other step 2 kill the virus n 2 ensure that i've already totally get rid of all the viruses after 6 months 2 1 year?

Ur help will b much appreciated.

10x. Have a nice day! Smile

-

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 25, 2004, 6:55 AM

Post #3 of 7 (13622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ShiShi] TzuTzu Chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

About TzuTzu chewing ...

I suspect very much that TzuTzu is just using his mouth to explore his world ... and a little training will solve your issue ...

Get him some nice soft toys to chew ... Avoid giving rawhide ... rawhide is not good for skin, and swells when it gets wet ... and can choke a pup/dog.

Here are some earlier postings that may be of some assistance:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=60051;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=159434;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=185614;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=88751;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=126251;search_string=puppy%20chewing;#126251

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=170028;search_string=puppy%20chewing;#170028

Cheers

s

Minimax
Novice

Dec 18, 2004, 7:48 PM

Post #4 of 7 (13365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ShiShi] What Is Parvo [In reply to] Can't Post

80% of all animals with Parvo will die!!!

the only link which promisses help - but does not guarantee it is http://www.ambertech.com/

however - since there is no agent in Malaysia, by the time the medicine arrives, the pet has died.

I gave my Mini Pin to vet for treatment, while i am today quite convinced that he would have had more strength to survive at home - than feeling abandoned alone in sterile clinik.

Now I have 2 toy pins and I keept them indoors for the first few month, till they had all injections. The risk of losing them by coming into contact on the roadside with some parvo virus is simply too great. stepping into any fluit of a parvo infected dog would be enough to kill them. Parvo is very strong and survives outside the body for 6-8 month.

ShiShi

Dec 19, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #5 of 7 (13359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Minimax] What Is Parvo [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup. Agree wif u!

Currently, i'm keeping my new puppy indoor. I dun plan 2 bring him out of house until he has taken all his 3 vaccine injections. (He will takes his 2nd injection next week, the day after Christmas... Guess this is the Christmas present we give him... LOL~~ Just kidding!)

Anyway, 10x! Later i'll browse n read the website given by u.

qzenp
Novice

Apr 6, 2007, 3:17 AM

Post #6 of 7 (11996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joonkeet] What Is Parvo [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw puppies die of parvo recently n it's really a torture to them

all dogs have it in their body is whether the virus will attack them or not

after witness the incident i search the net of all information of the parvo

if u r bringing a new puppy home seperate it wif other dogs tat u might hv in ur house n dont bring the puppy out for any occasion until the puppy completed the 3 vaccin

>.< i witnessed the death of 7 puppies bcos of this virus so pls make sure u take all precaution for this virus bcos is kind of hard to cure

their white blood cell will juz drop until there's none n there's no more antibody to protect them from the parvo

happy to say 1 puppy recover from it and 1 totally wasnt infected even they were staying together

so when u bring a puppy home make sure the 1st thing u do is send the puppy to the vet for a check up.

mutt
Dog Kichi

Apr 30, 2007, 7:37 AM

Post #7 of 7 (11929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [qzenp] What Is Parvo [In reply to] Can't Post

If Detected early Parvo can be helped.

So if you suspect your dog having parvo bring to the doc to do a blood test.

Puppies usually will be very weak, lose appetite, and vomit or have diarrhea.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my