Dogs n Dominance

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #1 of 73 (2912 views)
Shortcut
Dogs n Dominance Can't Post

notice more n more members have more than 1 dog... would like some tips to keep them all happy Unsure i have 3 dogs.. they all crave for attention.. problem is, when i come home n play with them n manja-manja, they get all over me n fight each other off hoping i will devote all attention on one dog.. sometimes it gets frustrating n i end up not playing with either one.. but seeing their dissapointed looks i feel bad pulak....if i pet one, the other will get jealous n fights him away......

any way to reassure them n make them less dominant over each other so i can play with them in peace leh??? if i play fetch.. habis la the toy.....

When i take the dogs for walk the other 2 bark until the moon can hear..i paiseh lo.......

CrazyCrazyBlush

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 12:27 PM

Post #2 of 73 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

Amy,

My uncle owns 5 dogs from bullmastiff, lab, maltese, a mid size mongrel to 2 chihuahuas.... all eager for attentions form all family members. I just live opposite, so I visit the house many times a day. HOW to distribute the love and attention evenly? Well~ do it by ORDER and be consistent. Gradually they will learn the ROUTINE. Normally, few in door, few outdoors depends in the "timing" of the day. Me and other family members will keep it consistent: greet the closest one. From the gate, pat pat.. then lead them to drink water and throw the tennis ball ,let them chase in the compound. Show them enough attention and kill some of their excessive energy. The proceed to the door (from the gate tru the compound..). Then I'll leave those outdoor bhind me and do the same to those indoor. Greet them and pat-pat, then hug hug and play with them with toys. After that, I'll stay at the door side, where i could reach both the indoor and outdoor dogs, I'll give them treats, one by one, evenly.

Give all of them the same thing, same amount of love and same amount of attention JUST when i reach the house. After they got what they want and lose the tendensy of dominating each other and lose the lealousy, then only i will play with my "favorite pet". heheheh.... of course I'm still bias to 1 or 2 of them~Tongue But soemtimes, you know..... we human need some acting lar... act to win their hearts and trusts!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 4:33 PM

Post #3 of 73 (2902 views)
Shortcut

I read somewhere in this forum before that if you did not get all dogs at one time, you must then show the new dog some kind of 'seniority' between them.... Say I now have Jaz, and if I get another dog, I must show that Jaz is the BIG sister and the new pup is the younger sister... so Jaz will guide the small pup what to do.. like a buddy programme or something like that.. in a way, you do not neglect your eldest dog in the house.. and second, the new pup will have someone to guide her through.. during training, you can let the elder dog take the lead or something like that.. else they might have identity crisis and get confuse.. in the end the dog owner kena bite by thier dogs! Laugh

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #4 of 73 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

wah.. mack.. i hear the amount of dogs all under 1 roof oso i stress.. heheeee... but must be pretty fun too.... isnt it discouraged to separate the dogs? indoors/outdoors i mean.....

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 10:55 PM

Post #5 of 73 (2894 views)
Shortcut

NOPE. The seperation is not isolation. But to tell them : "take turn. I'll sayang u, and you dont' come and take over the role."

ought to have them indoor and outdoor so each of them enjoy the chance to be under the sun; pee-poo, chase the butterflies and birds; woof woof with neighbor's dogs; they will wait for their turns so to train them "WAIT".Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 10:58 PM

Post #6 of 73 (2893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

i guess have to try like mack says ..be consistent ...
i got the 3 at diff stages.. the eldest is still the 'tai-ko'... no need to challenge his status wan.. but i think the youngest (GR) isnt bothered with the 'yi-ko' cos he's now so much larger ...

sometimes they r good n dont fight each other, but they will just sit at one end n look really sad.. sigh.. maybe the problem is me??? heeeheeee.. must b a bit more tough....

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 11:38 PM

Post #7 of 73 (2891 views)
Shortcut

HAHH!! Owner problem.. have to spread more of your TLC to them lor Wink

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 30, 2003, 8:33 PM

Post #8 of 73 (2883 views)
Shortcut

Mocha was pretty jealous initially when I got summer and everytime she will make sure that my lap is her place and her's alone. Summer is not allow to sit on it and all that.

Luckily Summer is not such a dominant dog and is really a gentleman. He will let Mocha shows him around and all that. When I reach home the 1st dog that I would call and pat pat is Mocha. She is still a baby and I do not want her to feel 'left out' and after she is satisfied that I'm still "her's" then she will walk away and play with her stuff and I will be left alone with Summer.... I will then talk to him, pat him and sayang him lor. Mocha is independent like me so I got no worries lor.

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 8:38 PM

Post #9 of 73 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to know that you have two such well behaved dogs.... Smile planning to get anothee one?? three's a crowd! Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 31, 2003, 11:46 PM

Post #10 of 73 (2869 views)
Shortcut

wahhhh.... so smart lah the 2... heeheeehee... wonder if its cos they r all male... last time when i had 2..it was ok...only when the no got to 3 they begin to feel different....

2s a company, 3s a crowd .....heheeeheeeeWink

now i leave the little one inside the house so i can spread the TLC to the big breeds, then ony entertain the small one...
seems to work well.. but then they miss each other so much pulak...

heeheeee...love hate relationship la they all...

i figured its cos i have 2 young dogs together n they r easily jealous..
if the age gap is wider, it would be better....true???

LaughSlyWink

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2003, 10:53 AM

Post #11 of 73 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

mack,

if my alpha dog is overly dominant over "other" dogs not fr home, how to stop tat? the last time i took him to social abit at the obedience n dogathon.. he ended up so worked up he forgets everything but to pick a fight... but it's only with other dogs... but funnily, if there's another dog to our house for visit.. he's ok..just curious then....

anyway i can bring him out n not get him sooo dominant over other dogs?

Unsure

mackmack
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2003, 12:14 PM

Post #12 of 73 (2856 views)
Shortcut

I think your alpha dog is just trying to SHOW OFF in the public. According to you, he should be a "family type" of dog, protective, and welcome visitors.Cool Good BOy!! But out there he might sense the environment is not HIS territory, so he tried to OVERDO it to be protective. Can be corrected gei.... always hold him back in front of other dogs.

LIke when i walked my out, when he was so young, i also worried if he would build up a tai-koh pattern, so everyitme we meet dogs on the street, i'll ask him to run with me, and say "no bark bark". When he's playing or sniffing with other dogs, then I'll keep praising those dogs "you see you see, Cookie so good gal, you see you see, Gape so good boy...."

was a bit like trying to tell him "I'm not always side at you, you are not the best-boy, must learn form others too, if other dogs good gal and good boy, mummy will also sayang them, so u must be good boy also."Cool

(This post was edited by mackmack on Aug 2, 2003, 12:15 PM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 5, 2003, 3:59 AM

Post #13 of 73 (2845 views)
Shortcut

3 ar ? think also dun dare to think lor... mama will KILL me on the spot if she sees a 3rd dog rite now !

Gimme a few months down the road and see how it goes lar... hehehehe

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 5, 2003, 4:01 AM

Post #14 of 73 (2844 views)
Shortcut

For your info, Mocha is a FEMALE and Summer is a MALE dog lor.... I think 2 males is worst ! last time my ex-bf used to have 2 sharpei, they fight till ear also torn, everywhere bleeding and it went on till they was really OLD. We was all saying "OLD man oledii still wanna fight dunno for what ! " Crazy

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 11:29 PM

Post #15 of 73 (2833 views)
Shortcut

I live in an apartment and seriously am thinking in getting another dog.. don't know will face this dominance problem or not.. but plan to get a bitch as well.. also wonder will it be too crowded or will Jaz and the new dog fight when I am at work.. sigh.. Mad

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 6, 2003, 3:09 AM

Post #16 of 73 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Lisa,

I think it shouldn't be a problem if you are thinking of getting another toy dog. Unless the dog ur thinking of is a Golden or those bigger breed then I think it would be a bit crowded for them.

cheers,
minglmy

Gins
Dog Kichi

Aug 6, 2003, 7:28 PM

Post #17 of 73 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Hi :

it's true with the saying...three is a crowd. Just added a 2 month old shih tsu/pommeranian to my furkids family 3 days ago. Whisky goes grr.... each time he's near Bear but has yet to bit her...Jojo just freeze and salivates! gotto keep wiping her mouth. so far none has gone near Bear and the first day was terrible. Both older ones went on hunger strike! very 'sam thong' lah. Bear has weak hind legs and she moves around like a seal (hehe) Guess W and Jo are still trying to find out whether Bear is a dog or what!Smile

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 9:31 PM

Post #18 of 73 (2819 views)
Shortcut

HAAHAHHA!! of course no big dogs.. if not I will have to ask my brother or EVE to move out of the apartment to accomodate my new dogs! MUAHAHHAHA!!! Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 6, 2003, 10:01 PM

Post #19 of 73 (2818 views)
Shortcut

poor eve, kena tendang out becoz of a DOG ! hahaha

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 6, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #20 of 73 (2815 views)
Shortcut

AHHAHAH!! I am sure she won't mind...
I'll allow her to visit us at home occasionally! MAHAHAHAHHAASmileSmile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 7, 2003, 8:12 AM

Post #21 of 73 (2810 views)
Shortcut

occasionally only ar ? aisay, be ur sis also not very good lar...

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 7, 2003, 8:23 AM

Post #22 of 73 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gins] Dogs n Dominance [In reply to] Can't Post

what a poor bear ! the brother and sister dun want to play with her ar ? sob*sob* lor....

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 4:41 PM

Post #23 of 73 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Wait till you see how she bullies me.. then you'll understand... you'll understand... Frown

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 7, 2003, 9:29 PM

Post #24 of 73 (2797 views)
Shortcut

wah, u mean the lil sister bully the elder one ar ? hmm.... r u sure ler ? in the net seems like u bully her more ler.

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #25 of 73 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Wait till I see you next weekend.. I'll tell you all about her 'swei yeh' Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my