Heartgard vs Interceptor

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 3:37 AM

Post #1 of 32 (10014 views)
Shortcut
Heartgard vs Interceptor Can't Post

My vet suggested I start Sparkle on Interceptor, which is roughly RM10 more expensive. seems like Heartgard is the more popular choice amongst a lot of doggie lovers.

Anyone know the difference of the two?

Btw, I purchased Interceptor...for 6 months for RM75 per box

myra
Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2003, 6:26 AM

Post #2 of 32 (10008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cshellz.....

i too just started blossom on interseptor..... now if my old brains can remember correctly wat my vet told me (lau liau)Laugh...... interseptor prevents an additional worm tat heartgard doesn't n tats why she too suggested tat blossom take it.....

anyway, i think our doggies deserves d best tat v can give rite....Smile

i only paid extra rm2 4 interseptor but i guess mine's 4 small dogs....

BlushbubBles,WinkmyRA,CoolTigger & TonguebloSSom

(This post was edited by myra on Jul 28, 2003, 6:29 AM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 6:37 AM

Post #3 of 32 (10002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myra] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

hi myra,Smile

wah only RM2 difference ah? Crazy My puppy also taking the ones for small dogs as he's only 6.4kgs. Apparently can't get Interceptor from normal petshops...so I'll have to go back after 6 months to the vet to get another box.

I'm just wondering, for all the different types of worms it can kill, are they all in the dog's heart? It's called heartworm prevention tablets and isn't killing the heartworm larvae the main purpose? Where do we find all the other worms?

Btw, my vet suggested for me to put him on annual heartworm prevention jabs when he's over a year old.

myra
Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #4 of 32 (9999 views)
Shortcut

hello....

well according 2 my vet (now remember liauSly) d additional worm is called whipworm & it's found somewhere in d intestines area..... same here loh.... hv 2 go back 2 d vet every 6 mths 2 get d tablets..... luckily nearby.....

it takes 6mths 4 d worms 2 develope from eggs 2 adults so in btwin tat time d doggies could hav different worms at different stages..... scary..Pirate wat 2 do????? doggies very naughty & mischievious..... everything oso put in d mouth......

tats wat my vet suggested too..... yearly dose of heartworm jabs.... so convienient huh.....

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 28, 2003, 7:45 AM

Post #5 of 32 (9996 views)
Shortcut

does anyone noe how do the annual jabs work?? Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 32 (9995 views)
Shortcut

Michelle...Biscuit is on Interceptor too....vet in Pg recommended it.....other worms besides heartworm are those intestine worms....Interceptor kills all intestine worms except for tapeworms....i read tapeworms are not very common unless your dog always roams outside and simply eat stuff....you can get interceptor outside at petshops too and the price is about the same Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 5:09 PM

Post #7 of 32 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Hi myra, Smile

Yah...gross also leh. I remember when I adopted my first dog Richie, took him for deworming...the next day a big worm came out with his poo poo. Yucksssss!!! Unsure

How old are your dogs now?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 5:16 PM

Post #8 of 32 (9989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm funny. Dr Hasnul said can't get in petshops and only vets prescribe Interceptor. I'll just make a check the next time I go to a pet shop.

Biscuit already over a year old, how come u're not switching to the annual jabs? Are the tablets still better? Also, if it kills all sorts of worms do we still need to give them the normal deworming tablets?

Sparkle likes to kacau mosquitoes and house flies. your Ah Cuit kacaus anything from dead fish to lizards....hehehe hopefully these stuff are 'clean' enough for them...Tongue

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Jul 28, 2003, 8:35 PM

Post #9 of 32 (9985 views)
Shortcut

Hey, you go to Dr Hasnul too? i was there on saturday to double check if my salsa was okay from the blood parasite. I think he is really good.. but salsa's stools are still soft.. now from reading the forum, don't know whether to suspect if she is infected with that new worm that heartgard do not prevent from.. you know.. the one that attacks the intestines.. really worried now.. but I think the jabs are really convenient.
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 28, 2003, 9:02 PM

Post #10 of 32 (9983 views)
Shortcut

wat is the interceptor ah?? i put my dogs for the annual jab wo.. but vet says it doesnt prevent all sorts of worms..still better to deworm them every now n then... now i'm confused.....

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 12:48 AM

Post #11 of 32 (9978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gwinn,

hehehehe I don't go to Dr Hasnul. My baby Sparkle does Tongue

Well, take good care of Salsa (i love the name btw!! Reminds me of the ad - Excuse me miss, do you want to SALSA??) Laugh

Anyway, can Dr Hasnul check from blood tests what kind of worm is affecting your dog?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 12:58 AM

Post #12 of 32 (9977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Interceptor is a Heartworm prevention tablet. Because my puppy is less than a year old he can't take the jabs yet. You see, we all have two options:

1) Use tablets (interceptor/heartgard) until the pup is one year old and can switch to annual jabs. Btw, u have to give one tablet a month

2) Give one tablet per month for the rest of the dog's life

I guess that's why most prefer to go for the jab...more convenient and u won't forget to give it to your doggie every month Smile

The deworming part...I'm not too sure myself. Let's wait for the sifus to come and give some advice! Wink

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 1:09 AM

Post #13 of 32 (9975 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle...maybe not all petshops? I happen to go to one petshop in SS2 the last time and they hv it there....read the instruction paper that comes with Interceptor...it'll tell u of the diff intestine worms that is being protected...and no i don't do the usual deworming anymore coz then it'll be double dosing....but frm time to time (say maybe 3 mths or so) take some stool to the vet for a quick check....so far Biscuit's stool is ok Smile

boon
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 10:36 AM

Post #14 of 32 (9965 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle,

IMHO, the annual heartworm prevention (proheart) may cause severe problem to the dog if they their body don agree with the drug. So is better to have them on monthly basis rather than a annual one. becoz there is no way to take out the drug injected if anything happen.

Especially in US, they do not recommend you to have the 12 months drug inject into the dog's body at once.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 5:07 PM

Post #15 of 32 (9960 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,

Thanks! I'll ask the petshop in SS2 the next time I'm there. It's a lot nearer to my place. Smile

Take Biscuit's stool to the vet? So u don't have to bring him to the vet la? U leave it there for the vet to run some tests to check for worms izzit? Wow...I've never done that b4 Crazy

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 5:21 PM

Post #16 of 32 (9958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Heartgard vs Interceptor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon,

wow. How come my vet didn't warn me first leh? Pirate But what u said makes sense....no wonder my vet said it's only recommended for dogs 1 year and above!

Bonney is on the tablets as well, I'm sure! Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 6:23 PM

Post #17 of 32 (9957 views)
Shortcut

Yah i guess u dont need to bring him in when u take the stool for a check up but i still do....just in case Smile

Yah it's a simple and quick test for intestine worm....the only thing eeky about it is u hv to carry the poo inside your car Tongue

boon
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 6:31 PM

Post #18 of 32 (9953 views)
Shortcut

hehehe yeap, my monkey is on tablet every 45 days. This is the standard practice in US. yeap is 45, even they recommended u to give every 30 days. If u understand the development of heartworm, from stage 0 to stage 3 it require 60 days.

Feed them every 40 to 45 days still safe and save. But if u tend to forget the date, then better follow every 30 days.Tongue

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 1:29 AM

Post #19 of 32 (9948 views)
Shortcut

how come my vet say its the same wan?? now i'm worried....
i started my 2 elder dogs on the annual jabs last yr..
they seem fine tho...

they r due soon n i'm starting my 1 yr old too... shld I continue the annual jab or feed monthly???

Shocked

boon
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 5:12 AM

Post #20 of 32 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Hi xyne,

if your 2 elder are doing fine, then u may want to continue with the annual one, becoz this reaaction may not happen to all dogs and certainly if anything, that the end. Touch wood. i don mean it, sorri, but just wanted to share with u how serious is this.

As for the young one, if i were u, i would rather go the the monthly tablet then taking the risk.

boon
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 5:43 AM

Post #21 of 32 (9945 views)
Shortcut

something worth sharing with you all. Whipworms (Trichuris vulpis)
Holly Frisby, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Whipworms (Trichuris vulpis, Trichuris campanula) are common in dogs and found throughout the United States. Trichuris serrata is rare in cats. Whipworms get their name from the whip-like shape of the adult worms. The front portion of the worm is very thin (the whip) and the posterior end is thick (whip handle). Whipworms live in the large intestine and cecum (a small 'dead-end' portion of intestine lying at the junction of the small intestine and large intestine).

How are whipworms transmitted and how is whipworm infection diagnosed?

A dog or cat becomes infected by ingesting food or water contaminated with whipworm eggs. The eggs are swallowed, hatch, and in three months, the larvae mature into adults in the cecum and large intestine where they burrow their mouths into the intestinal wall and feed on blood. Adult worms lay eggs that are passed in the feces. The eggs must remain in the soil for about a month to mature and be capable of causing infection.

An infection is diagnosed by finding the eggs in the feces. The eggs must be differentiated from those of the bladder worm (Capillaria plica) and C. aerophilia, a parasite of the respiratory system, but whose eggs may be found in the feces.

What are the signs of whipworm infection?

The signs of infection vary with the number of worms in the intestine. Small numbers of worms cause no signs, but larger numbers can result in inflammation of the intestinal wall. Large amounts of mucous are produced by the inflamed intestine. Sometimes hemorrhage into the intestine occurs, and anemia can result. Animals may have diarrhea and loss of weight.

In very heavy infections, the worms may penetrate through the intestinal wall and the resulting inflammation causes the intestine to adhere (stick) to the body wall. Animals with this condition may frequently lick their right flank area where the adhesion occurs.

Are whipworms a health hazard to people?

There have been reports of people being infected with T. vulpis. Humans are more often infected with T. trichiura, the human whipworm.

How is a whipworm infection treated?

Common wormers and their effectiveness against whipworms are listed below. Oral Treatments for Gastrointestinal Parasites in Dogs Ingredient(s) Example Range of Efficacy* Minimum Age/Weight dichlorophen/toluene Triple Wormer R,H,T,F > or = 2.5 lbs dichlorvos Task R,H,T,F > or = 2.5 lbs diethylcarbamazine citrate Filaribits R none febantel/praziquantel RM Parasiticide-10 R,H,W,T,F > or = to 2 lbs febantel/praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate Drontal Plus R,H,W,T,F,E > or = to 3 weeks or 2 lbs fenbendazole Panacur R,H,W,T none ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate Heartgard Plus R,H > or = 6 weeks mebendazole Telmintic R,H,W,T none milbemycin oxime Interceptor R,H,W > or = 8 weeks n-butyl chloride Happy Jack Worm Capsules/Sergeants Puppy Worm Capsules R,H > or = 4 weeks oxibendazole/diethylcarbamazine Filaribits Plus R,H,W > 8 weeks and > 1 lb piperazine salts Happy Jack Kennel Wormer/Sergeants Worm Away R > or = 6 weeks praziquantel Droncit, Tradewinds Tapeworm Tabs T,F > or = 4 weeks pyrantel pamoate Drs. Foster & Smith ProWormer-2, Nemex-2 R,H > or = 2 weeks epsiprantel Cestex T,F > 7 weeks *Efficacy for intestinal worms:
R = Roundworms
H = Hookworms
W = Whipworms
T = Taeniid tapeworms
F = Flea tapeworms
E = Echinococcus granulosus tapeworms

> means greater than

Immature whipworms in the cecum or intestine are somewhat resistant to the above medications. For that reason, treatments often need to be repeated for several months, until all the larvae have matured into adults.

How do we prevent and control whipworm infections?

Whipworm eggs are somewhat susceptible to drying, but can remain alive in moist soil for years, and are resistant to freezing. Because of this, animals should be restricted from contaminated areas. There is no effective method for killing whipworm eggs in the soil. The only alternative is to replace the soil with new soil, gravel, and pavement. To prevent exposure, any feces in the yard should be picked up on a daily basis.

Floors in kennels and dog runs should be impervious so they are easier to clean. Kennels, runs, and litter boxes should be cleaned thoroughly, and if possible, be allowed to dry in direct sunlight.

Routine fecal examinations and wormings can help control this widespread parasite.

Because of the zoonotic potential of T. vulpis, care should be taken when cleaning, and people should wear gloves and wash their hands well after these duties.

References

Georgi, JR; Georgi, ME. Canine Clinical Parasitology. Lea & Febiger. Philadelphia, PA; 1992;174-176.

Griffiths, HJ. A Handbook of Veterinary Parasitology. University of Minnesota Press. Minneapolis, MN; 1978;106-107.

Hendrix, CM. Diagnostic Veterinary Parasitology. Mosby, Inc. St. Louis, MO; 1998;124-125.

Sherding, RG; Johnson, SE. Diseases of the intestine. In Birchard, SJ; Sherding, RG (eds.) Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1994;696-698.

Sousby, EJL. Helminths, arthropods and protozoa of domesticated animals. Lea & Febiger. Philadelphia, PA; 1982;334-337

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 5:02 PM

Post #22 of 32 (9937 views)
Shortcut

ah cuit really hor mia leh....even his stool has to be nicely packed to take car rides to the vet!! Tongue hehehe

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 5:08 PM

Post #23 of 32 (9935 views)
Shortcut

hi uncle Boon, Smile

thanks for posting it up!! Very informative....but I can't believe I'm interested in knowing more about worms!!! UnsurePirate All thanks to my puppy!!

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 5:11 PM

Post #24 of 32 (9933 views)
Shortcut

haha actually it depends on the vet itself...some vets will want stool sample and some say no need, they just cucuk inside and get a bit of the stool on the stick Crazy

boon
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #25 of 32 (9932 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle,

Gina also can't imagine she will pack the stool nicely and put in her car and send for examination.Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my