First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2003, 4:18 AM

Post #1 of 125 (4541 views)
Shortcut
We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA Can't Post

Hi all,

We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA and let me just explain how the whole thing went.

When you go to SPCA, many of the dogs are in various "wards" depending on their age and conditions, and in front of the wards, there are pieces of paper with information about each dog - name, age, breed, description, medical records (whether the dog has been vaccinated) etc. The paper also tells you how much the adoption fee is.
It ranges from RM150 (mix-breed) to RM800 (pure-bred). Yes, it is rather surprising that there are quite a few pedigree doggies. (We paid RM 200 for a Spitz mix and RM800 for a pedigree Basset Hound.)

The doggies there are all neutered/spayed and I think most of them have gone through tests for heartworm. They have also received necessary vaccination and if the next round of vaccination is due soon when you adopt the dog, you can bring your doggie to SPCA for free vaccination.

Once you decide on your future canine mate, you fill in a form with your address and contact number.
(I think we had to pay some deposit then.) They may ask you a few questions to see if you're prepared for adoping a doggie. Then they tell you that they will come one day and inspect your house. (They won't tell you when they are coming.) In our case, they came during the daytime while we were away and just left a note that said "KIV" (keep in view)meaning that they can't give us the dog.. yet.

To be honest, we were rather upset that they were so fussy when we were trying our part to help them and especially when we have already been living with 3 dogs and they knew it. I called SPCA to find out why we didn't get a straight approval and was told that there was a small gap underneath the front gate and that a small dog could squeeze him/herself out.

I called them up again and told them that we would make whatever necessary changes. I also asked them to come again to see how we live with our 3 dogs and to explain how ready we were to welcome another member of the family. Passion and perseverance paid off, and we got another doggie. Since the doggie had just been spayed, we had to wait a few more weeks until she fully recovered and was ready for coming home.

SPCA may be a bit strict with their inspection, but I guess they want the dogs to go to good homes as much as we want them to, and please please do not give up just because they didn't say "yes" in the first round. Physical surrounding is of course very important, but the prime importance is your love and commitment to the doggie.

By the time we got our 2nd dog from SPCA - no.5 in our canine family - the people at SPCA remembered us and let us take the doggie home for a couple of days before we formally adopted him to see how he and the other doggies get along.

Well, hope our little story can give you a bit of help when you adopt doggies from them....

One more thing, since this forum is a spin-off from the "Dog Rescue and Adoption" forum and in that forum, there are talks about posting pictures of some dogs for adoption at SPCA. If I take some pics there, can I post them at the Photo Gallery or is there any dedicated place for "dogs for adoption" photos?

Thanks

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 22, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #2 of 125 (4527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chika] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice Sharing Chika. Your kindness are truly appreciated.Smile

If you have the pics from SPCA, I would suggest you to send it to our webmaster at bgkhoo@hileytech.com , remember to let him know your username and please write down which catergory you wish to post it to, say~ "SPCA dogs for adoption". Coz there's still no such section in the photo gallery but we do already have members suggested about it. Hopefully we could see it up real soon!Wink So others could do the same and put the pics in that particular section.

CHEERS~

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

daws

Jul 22, 2003, 5:09 PM

Post #3 of 125 (4511 views)
Shortcut

thanks chika for sharing your experience in adopting a dog from SPCA. i'm sure this would be most helpful to anyone who intends to adopt from SPCA. As for the pics, hopefully the moderator will set up a section in the photo gallery soon so that it can be uploaded there.
rgds

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #4 of 125 (4500 views)
Shortcut

Wow! What an experience!!! Sounds like SPCA does do thier groundwork in ensuring every dogs goes to a good home. PAWS UP to SPCA!!! Next time, when my friend or relative needs a dog, we'll head for SPCA first.. I think it's a great place to get a best friend and give them a warm loving home which they deserves... Good job to you! Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 22, 2003, 8:26 PM

Post #5 of 125 (4493 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chika,

Thanks for sharing. I too heard of the long procedure to adopt a pet there. Anyway, congratulation on your new addition to your family ya !

cheers,
minglmy

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2003, 12:43 AM

Post #6 of 125 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chika,

Thanks for sharing ur experience to us, i think the adoption fees r higher than RM800, bcos i saw a rottie puppy there n they charge for RM900 for adoption(Rather call it buy from SPCA). Actually it's gd that SPCA is really strict when they receive application from public but it's quite disappointed when they reject our request due to we r working or the house r not suitable to have dog(no enough compound).

Glad to hear that u got 5 doggie, hope u can bring them all to the gathering, c yaSmile

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

wingzero
Novice

Jul 23, 2003, 12:44 AM

Post #7 of 125 (4475 views)
Shortcut

wow, seems to be SPCA do their work-- to ensure the doggy go to a family that love them. Should applause SPCA for doing their job.Cool

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 12:45 AM

Post #8 of 125 (4474 views)
Shortcut

Glad to know that SPCA don't only catch and keep dogs but also ensure the dog will have a good new owner....

Regards,
Swee Eng

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2003, 2:30 AM

Post #9 of 125 (4470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi snowflake,

Wow, RM900... then again, when we adopted the basset hound for Rm800, they said that these pricy doggies really help SPCA make some profits for their operation.

Too bad they turned you guys down for adoption. It's very very frustrating, I know. It also took us a lot of persuading. I'm not sure whether she is still there or not, but there is a caucasian lady (I think she said she's from Belgium) and she is very easy to talk to and in our case, she was the one that helped us to convince SPCA about our first adoption.

By the way, we were at the last gathering. If any of you remember seeing a couple by the lake with 5 dogs... it's us.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #10 of 125 (4460 views)
Shortcut

was one of dogs called Troy? and another was a black colour small-medium sized dog.

I think i went up to a guy holding abt 4 or 5 doggies. One of which was a Basset Hound.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2003, 5:23 PM

Post #11 of 125 (4447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, it's us. The black one is "Kuroi" meaning black in Japanese. The Bassed Hound is our 2nd adopted kid from SPCA. Then you'd probably saw us with a Golden Retriever and 2 small white dogs.

We'll be there again at the next meeting and looking forward to seeing you all.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #12 of 125 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Looking forward to meeting you tooSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 24, 2003, 12:28 AM

Post #13 of 125 (4427 views)
Shortcut

hello chika!!!
So you are the one who was with a basset hound...
WELCOMME...!
Now we have 3 basset in the forum already.. GREeaat!
Is your basset brown and white one?
I have a bassie too... see you at the gathering ya?

kelvincheong
Novice

Jul 25, 2003, 7:42 AM

Post #14 of 125 (4387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chika & all dog lovers,

My name is Kelvin, and I will be back to my home town in J.B very soon. One thing I must do is to adopt a dog, for life will be miserable for me without my faithful friends..dogs.

Can someone tell me where is SPCA.Or.. is there any place near J.B. where I can adopt one ?

I would like to make friends with all dogs lovers, friends can email to me at: kelvin@homecorner.com.sg

Thank you. Bye!
kelvin

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #15 of 125 (4374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelvincheong] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe you can check the post on dogs for adoption. If you don't mind a mongrel, I"m sure serene still have dogs up for adoption.

Regards,
Swee Eng

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2003, 10:25 PM

Post #16 of 125 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kelvin,

SPCA Selangor is located in Ampang Jaya and is near the Ampang Point mall. If you're coming along Jalan Ampang from KL, you'll come to a big flyover just before Ampang Point. Don't take the flyover and instead go left. Turn right at the first traffic light (you'll see Ampang Puteri Hospital on your right) and there should be KL International School on your left. Keep straight for a while and you'll see a small string of shops (including 7-Eleven) on your left. SPCA is next to the shoplot. The name of the street is Jalan Kerja Air Lama and the tel no. for SPCA is 4256-5312/4253-5179. (I don't drive and am not very good at giving directions...sorry.)

I think there is SPCA in Johor... this one you'd better check with SPCA in Selangor.

By the way, I sent some photos of the dogs there for adoption to the webmaster since I don't know where to post them. Hopefully these doggies will find happy homes soon...

kelvincheong
Novice

Jul 25, 2003, 10:42 PM

Post #17 of 125 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chika,

Thanks for your reply, your info is very much appreciated.Since I will be putting up in J.B.Selangor will be a bit too far off. I will try to locate teh SPCA in johor. Hopfully it will be nearer to me

Thank you
kelvin

kelvincheong
Novice

Jul 25, 2003, 10:48 PM

Post #18 of 125 (4364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi sweeeng,

Thanks for your reply, since I am new in this forum, can you tell me who's serene, and how can I contact her.

Kelvin
kelvin

Peekaboo
Novice

Jul 26, 2003, 12:40 AM

Post #19 of 125 (4357 views)
Shortcut

hi chika,

Is the picture with a dog swimming in the pool one of your dog?... It look a bit like my peekaboo and I kind of curious about it. Is it a breed or a mix.... ? My dog a mix and have a very bad temperament and also due to me spoilting her rotten....

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 26, 2003, 1:09 AM

Post #20 of 125 (4355 views)
Shortcut

You can check out under dog rescue and adoption. There's a post by serene. Or else maybe you can email her ...

Regards,
Swee Eng

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2003, 1:49 AM

Post #21 of 125 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Peekaboo] We adopted 2 dogs from SPCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi peekaboo,

Yep, it's our dog "Gizmo" and he's a terrier mix. We don't know his exact birthday, but he is around 1 1/2 years old. We got him from a nearby pet/fish shop inSetapak, KL, but he had a brother/sister, who was taken the day before we got him. Does it ring any bells?

Gizmo is a dedicated guard dog and is the most aggresive one in our canine family when it comes to facing strangers and anybody approaching the front gate. He rushes to the gate when he hears any slightest noise out there and in the evening, he just sits at the gate and watches out until his bed time.

Hopefully we can meet up at the next gathering and see whether your peekaboo is Gizmo's long-lost (?) brother/sister...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2003, 11:04 AM

Post #22 of 125 (4338 views)
Shortcut

lol

terriers do have that attitude,dont they?Wink

Silky(cocker spaniel terrier) is the "guard dog" of the familySmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Kowie
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2003, 12:31 PM

Post #23 of 125 (4324 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

Just want to inform everyone that the JB SPCA branch no longer exsists. They did not have enough funds to keep it going and their previous premises was taken back by the owner.Frown However, they are still looking for some kind soul with spare property to loan them a place.

Any takers?

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jul 27, 2003, 3:17 PM

Post #24 of 125 (4321 views)
Shortcut

glad to know spca is pretty strict with its rules..i remembered once I lost my minpin doggie, i sent them an email and you guys noe what, they really did call my house to ask about my missing doggie...i wasn't home that time and they kindly explained to my mom what to do in order to search for my doggie...

kind ppl they are...and as for pricing, i think paying a little bit more is not really that bad...just regard it as donation to spca...they are doing their job, we must do our part too...spca is practically funded by donation i suppose...

take care guysCool
Meme

odie moves MY world!

lynnzter
Dog Kichi

Jul 28, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #25 of 125 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Hey Chika,

I just wanted to share some of my own SPCA experience with you. Smile

Initially, I had the same problem as you. My adoption for an English Hound puppy was declined as it was only about 6 -7 weeks old ... and there was nobody home to take care of her during the daytime. So, it was logical why they didn't approve my application.

After that, I tried for a Labrador mix. Unfortunately, somebody else has already booked him. Imagine my frustration that day ... I was at PAWS earlier in the morning and I didn't find a dog that I like. And I spent the entire afternoon at SPCA and stilll I couldn't get a dog.

I went home empty-handed with a heavy heart.Frown

2 weeks later (which is last weekend) ... I headed for SPCA again. And this time, I found what I was looking for. A Jack Russell Terrier. He was a mix. But he looks very much like a purebreed JRT, except for his little body. I fell in love with him instantly. He was really timid at first when I brought him home. And the poor little dude was car sick ... he puked on the way home in the car.

A couple of hours later, after a good meal and a nice warm bath, he was all jumpity and active. He's quite a handful! And best of all, he's a really confident little mutt. Full of life. All the signs of a Jack Russell Terrier.

I'm really happy that I've made the decision to bring him home. It was only an hour earlier that his previous owner brought him to SPCA; before I spotted him. He wasn't even tagged yet. He must be heart broken when they (previous owner) left him there ... but nevertheless, I'll shower him with all the TLC he needs. Wink He's my new found friend.

And oh btw, his name is Max.

(This post was edited by lynnzter on Jul 28, 2003, 6:15 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my