Home: General: Chit Chat:
A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 7:35 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2185 views)
Shortcut
A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow Can't Post

This perhaps could possibly be the most controversial topic of the year.
As the title suggests, every creature created by God has a function in this universe. Be it a cockroach or a human, there is a purpose in our existence.
Why is it then, we the human has to tamper, destroy and alter the behaviour and characteristics of certain animals to suite our whim and fancy?
Has God given us this special privilege in writing or just because we are the smartest, we play god?
What are your views?

delithra

Jun 22, 2002, 8:27 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow [In reply to] Can't Post

If God did create us all, then there was a reason God made us this way. he made us with our imperfections such as, our thirst for riches, our greed for wealth, our selfish desires etc etc . He knew what he was getting himself into. He made us smarter than the life on this planet, resulting in our tampering with these creatures. But who is to say that he has not made life elsewhere smarter than us, resulting in them tampering with us? (i.e OK OK, I watch too much Star Trek).

Hence the issue of, how much tampering is allowed? Now we can clone. What else is there to say about our limits?

Science has more or less proven that species generally evolve. Maybe God has intended for the accelerated evolvement of species. That was our 'privilege card' i.e our higher intelligence, which allows us to tamper with nature. Maybe our tampering is not really according to OUR WISH and OUR FANCY. I mean, if we are all God's creatures, then HE must have a had a reason for making us this way. He is a mad scientist himself, for making such a species as us !

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 9:52 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow [In reply to] Can't Post

Message fully understood.
My contention on this topic is, do we tamper to suite our convenience at the expense of the animal or do we tamper because it is for the good of the animal?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 23, 2002, 3:30 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe GOD created us to be able to tamper for the good of animals. Unfortunately, we have taken it too far.

-= Tisha =-

delithra

Jun 23, 2002, 4:31 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2169 views)
Shortcut

We tamper for both reasons. Depends on how ethical one is I guess. If it suits our convenience, but does not do the animal harm, then there is no problem. If it results in the betterment of the animal, then hey, even better!

Like dry dog food,...I personally think its unnatural to not feed a dog meat/eggs/rice/veggies etc... This new science diet suits our convenience and at the same time, benefits the dog by avoiding obesity/malnutrition. I guess if the dog has never tasted meat, then it wouldnt know what it is missing.

Just like castrating a dog after he has had a taste for ....erm.....humping. Short of buying a blow up female dog to satisfy a male's appetite, we are advised to always neuter/spay before a dog has had the chance to...'lose its virginity' (lol). The reason we do this, for our convenience, and for the good of the dog (cancer/pregnany/etc). But its rather arguable which reason might outweigh the other.

deli

evehock
Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2002, 7:01 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2162 views)
Shortcut

This topic is hard... I have to read and read few times before I dare to give comment.... BTC lor... Hehehehe...

Well, back to topic...in simple English...I fully agree GOD created every creature with reason. We, human, are trying to control everything in our life to.... just to make our life easier and comfortable. With playing GOD, we had to change a lot of thing and done a lot of mistake that might threaten us in the future. Imagine that our ancestor know that everything is link to each others... we might not exist as our ancestor don't dare to change a thing... World are just like GOD baru created in the Bible.... only today, Adam and Eve not longer exist... die of old age or straving without kin.....Crazy

Nobody knows what will happen next... we are just playing our part in life... Clever or brainless or special privilege... is just our human perception and not to other creature... as we seldom think what is outside the box... Unsure

No good or bad in life... we might say we are doing good now but we maybe cause bad for the future... Just like dinosaurs... they had change something which they think is good but they no longer exist today....Pirate Well, nobody can judge now... except maybe what/who we called GOD.

LOL, I hope you enjoy reading my view! Tongue

Eve

(This post was edited by evehock on Jun 23, 2002, 7:18 AM)

joonkeet

Jun 24, 2002, 7:38 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2149 views)
Shortcut

This is really an interesting title + topic.

I would like to share a story that was told to me. According to the question given, maybe from the story will answer the question?

do we tamper to suite our convenience at the expense of the animal or do we tamper because it is for the good of the animal?

Once upon a time, there was a village which has been a haven for lizards for some time. The villagers are all having a hard time cleaning up their food and bed of lizard's litters. There exist a kampung boy where he earned the good reputation of wiping out all all the lizards in the kampung which caused such a nuisance, as they litter everywhere. As he wiped out every each on of the lizards, he became the kampung's celebraties. Little did they know that this 'comfortable' situation lasted for only 6 months. Why? One by one the villagers started to die. They did not know the cause as they did not have any medical means... even the boy lizard killer fell victim to the almighty power of dengue. Never did they realise the pesky lizards were their only form of protection from the venomous mosquitoes, protecting their babies and families. Never did they realise the only to repay the lizards was just to wipe and clean their belongings once a day. Never did they realise the pesky lizards could be their saviour

Please don't laugh at the silliness of this story as we are all the villagers... and some of us are the small kampung boy in the story. Every single living/non-living thing has a purpose of existence in this world. Ever heard of food chain ?

Japan tried to rule earth, Japan was partially destroyed. Hitler tried genocide on Jews, Nazis were trounced. The time when we played God, we get ourselves destroyed.

Another qoute that was given to me:
We, humans, have done so much to destroy our earth, but so little to protect the land that we're walking on, just because of one reason. SELFISHNESS

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

joonkeet

Jul 2, 2002, 1:46 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joonkeet] A dog is meant to bark & A cat is meant to meow [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, GOD created DOG to show us the reflection of His love to us. Just look at how our little fella show their love. We do indeed being taught to be loved by our little companion. Hence, as time passes by, with so much love, we become filled of pride as we believe we are worthy of adoration. Then, we take things for granted, and struts and preens like a peacock. Yes, DOG has teach us that we are loved but no one has taught us humility.

And then, GOD created another companion who will see us as we are, and will remind us of our limitations. GOD created CAT!

And Cat would not obey US. And as we gaze into CAT's eyes we learned that we are not the supreme being. Hence, we learned humility.

In conclusion, through DOG we learn to improve ourselves.

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my