Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
Breeder Vaccination Practise.

delithra

Jun 6, 2002, 7:57 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3151 views)
Shortcut
Breeder Vaccination Practise. Can't Post

Hi,

Generally what is the breeder practise in relation to immunization? I have come across a litter of 9 week old pups which are being vaccinated for Parvo only. I was told that the 6 in 1 is only given at 4 months, since the pup will be too young before that, and might contract the disease.

But most breeders vaccinate at 7 weeks as well.

I have read the posts on vaccines and annual boosters. One breeder told me that once the pup has received the FIRST 6 in 1, the pup should be 'fully immunized'.

I doubt this because I thought it was only after the FIRST 6 in 1 and the following boosters that the pup develops a proper immunity. Am I wrong ?

One Vet at Bangsar showed me a DP shot ( Distemper / Parvo) shot which can be used as the first vaccine.

Is the 6 in 1 more advisable ? I guess its more safe!

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 6, 2002, 4:12 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] Breeder Vaccination Practise. [In reply to] Can't Post

This reply may not be related to your question asked, however, it serves as a warning to those who are gullible and believe in all "fairy tales" "firey tales" or "fury tales".
My sincere advice to all is never believe everything a breeder tells you, including myself of course. No body is infallible, even God made mistakes. Would you invite Judas for supper if you knew he was going to do you in?
Vaccination, immunisation, protection, 6 in 1, 8 in 1 and 2 in 1 are but fancy names. If your area within a radius of 3 or perhaps 5 km do not have any outbreak for distemper/parvo and etc etc. where do the virus come from?
If a breeder practises good 'breeding procedure' this is what he should do.
Puppies should not be sold and be taken away before the age of 8 weeks old.
7 weeks puppies should be vaccinated and certified by a vet and issued with documentary proof (Health Certificate)
Breeder should keep puppy for another week to observe and monitor behaviour just in case.
Four to six hour before you collect puppy, breeder should take puppy to vet and check for worms and general health and the vet will then issue breeder with a clean bill of health.
Breeder should provide some sort of feeding procedure and advice. He should also provide at least two to three days of puppy regular puppy food so that you could change gradually if so desired.
6 in 1, 8 in 1, 2 in 1 or for that matter none at all makes no difference. The vet only sees $$$$$$ RM RM in his eye balls. When the time comes, I hope I am still around to help you, so get your puppy first, and then we talk.

delithra

Jun 6, 2002, 10:38 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Breeder Vaccination Practise. [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for the reply uncle derrick. and yes you will be around when i get my first pup, my second and my third pup too!!!

i stopped over at the bangsar vet to ask about the distemper / parvo shot ( DP vaccine). the vet informed me that it was by "Norbivac" and is distributed by Syarikat Age D'or Agriculture Sdn Bhd. I wasnt able to really scrutinise the color of the bottle or the liquid again as he was holding 3 different vaccines and showing all to me at the same time Unimpressed.

aspaul66
Dog Kichi

Jun 6, 2002, 11:29 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3131 views)
Shortcut

Hi Deli

have you tried talking to any vet in our subang area? there is one that i go to in ss18 (don't want the webmaster to tick me off as advertising, so won't mention names). (even experts respect him.) Wink

email me at aspaul66@yahoo.co.uk if you want to know more details.

bye

aruna

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 7, 2002, 1:28 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3122 views)
Shortcut

I have just received a piece of vital information.
There was an adult goldie, country of origin
- Thailand -. The Health Cert clearly said 'Norbivac' DP vaccine was given. Yet a week later it contracted Distemper and died.
From this statement, all those who think that vaccinations are 100% foolproof and safe, best you begin to rethink.

delithra

Jun 7, 2002, 2:44 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aspaul66] Breeder Vaccination Practise. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Aruna,

I will be going to the same vet in ss18 once i get the pup Wink i know who you mean and he does come highly recommended!! haha.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there can be 'breaks' in the immunity that a dog has, i.e if the dog suffered a fever or even pregnancy ( not sure about this)...but it was advisable to re-vaccinate your dog when the dog has gone thru a fever. Does anyone know if this is right ?

deli

junecheah

Jan 8, 2004, 9:54 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2954 views)
Shortcut

can anyone provide me with the vet information. I would like to bring my dog there. My email is cyrils_

Thanks alot

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my