Rebelious Retriever

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Terry
K9 Kaki

Jul 11, 2003, 8:49 AM

Post #1 of 27 (4557 views)
Shortcut
Rebelious Retriever Can't Post

Frown My goldie is now 6 months old. He is smart and obedient previously But these days he is getting rebelious. When he is upset, he will do his business in the cage which he knows that he should not. Once he was badly misbehaving and my girlfriend (his part owner) disciplined him with some canning but he started growling and showing his teeth. After which, he refuse to look at her or do what he was told.

He also tries not to listen to any commands if he didn't feel like it unless he is tempted by food. What is happening to him ? He even growls at me when I raise my voice to ask him to sit or stay.

TerryPirate

KawChai
Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2003, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 27 (4549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terry] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Maybe your pup would like to get more attention from you ... Blush . Yoda always do the things he shouldn't do such as grabing our blanket from the bed and drag around the room...but he always do, because whenver he do that...we both will be chasing for him...

And also, he like to put rubbish into his mouth and make us chase him....but i can see that he is really FUN Crazy

But he only do this when he is bored....otherwise he will happily play by himself or take a long nap beside the balcony with the eye watching us like CCTV

He sometimes poo at the place he shouldn't.... but i never cane him... i think he is just naughty...as long as he didn't do big damages, we try not to raise our voice...

I think don't raise your voice when asking him to do things....i understand that pup cannot be teach using the hard way....we have to use the soft & be more tricky than them...

Of course he will growl when u cane him, just imagine, will you shout/angry with someone if they raise their voice talking to you or perhaps cane you ?

cheers

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 11, 2003, 10:22 AM

Post #3 of 27 (4547 views)
Shortcut

Guess that's also an "instinct" of GR. Without proper training, they will develop bad habits.

GR needs a lot of attention from the owner. And they are born to have the eagerness to please. also did the same rebellious behaviour before. I tried to put my hands on him but really the wrong way. I quickly changed my approach and started to "lecture" him. Try to TALK to your goldie everytime he made a mistake, he sure will understand. And you MUST reward him whenever he does something good. that will let him know he is being cared and loved. Then he will keep the good habits to please you. Coz, right now, he learned that by doing the bad things he could get your attention.

So, try this: if he did something bad : lecture him, no fun time. if he did semething good, reward him by treats, belly rubs, hugs and kisses, car ride, anything that favor him. Sooner or Later he will learn the right way to gain attention. After all, to raise and keep a GR, it takes TIME and lots of PATIENT.

Also, as your case, that's the reason why GR is the breed that being most rescued in the shelter in US becoz they tend to show this kind of behaviour between age 1-3 and most owners cannot handle it well. They saw the cute GR pup, they bring it home without second thought of what they could give the breed. Who can resist a GR pup, rite? But GR grow rapidly, at age 9months to 1 yr-old, they are in XL size but they are still puppies. You have to imagine that they are still acting like a pup who hunger for loves and attention and they cant wait to please their owner... So, be patient.

Once they reach 2 yr-old, you hardly find any mis-behavior from them. That would be the time u get regret.... and eager to see them back to Notti~!Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 11, 2003, 4:08 PM

Post #4 of 27 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
Dogs are packed animals. They have leader and look up & listen to leader only.
You need to show him who is the leader in the house. If no1 assume the responisbility, he will assume he is the leader and do whateverr he wants, shows teeth, bites, growling, aggressive behaviour...
In order to tell him you are the leader, your orders must be consistent. If you mean come, follow "come" action. If he doesn't come, you have to tuat his leash and pull him towards you. He will feel the tension on his neck and will come accordingly. Do not say come and don't mean it. Eventually he will not obey your command since you don't really mean it. He can overwite your command. say "NO", and stress on it. If he ignore you, give physical punishment, like pat on his hinquarters, using fly swater to pat him... and repeat "NO". Mean it everytime. Consistent is the key. Have all your family members do the same thing so he will know he has leaders to lead and will feel comfortable and happy to have leaders.
Also, remmeber to bring him for jogging/ swimming for at least 20 min a day. Sometimes lack of exercise may cause aggressive behavbiour as they are bored and need to release their tension by growling, barking... etc

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 27 (4537 views)
Shortcut

I'm not sure why your dog is doing such thing but my labs are also like that during that age. That's b'cos they were teething and wanting to bite something...

Besides , maybe your dogs wants some attention from you...

REgards,
Swee Eng

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 6:21 AM

Post #6 of 27 (4524 views)
Shortcut

hi terry,

i fully agree with mackmack. in fact, my dog had his rebellious days too. when he's one year plus, he growled at me when i was disciplining him for something he did. he also got very aggresive to my brother when he tried to approach him. not only growl, but also try to bite.

instantly i've punished him for this misbehavior as to me agression to members of the family is totally unacceptable and he must understand who's alpha. scolded him really sternly until his head bend as low as sticking to the floor.

since then, no more aggression from him.

this is the critical time for u to make ur dog understand who's boss. he is still growing up and like a teenager, they do get rebellious. patience is needed, as similar to the patience needed to teach a misbehaving child. hope u can overcome it. good luck.

regards,
hunter

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 13, 2003, 8:52 AM

Post #7 of 27 (4519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

wah, u really garang ar....scold also till 'tau tup tup"

cheers,
minglmy

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2003, 10:35 AM

Post #8 of 27 (4515 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

i totally agreed with u, coz, i'm also facing the same problem with Max, quite hard to train when compare to Jamie, coz, if Jamie do something wrong i can scold n even beat her and than she'll be much more behave! but whererest Max, if i scold him he'll ignore me totally, dun want to come near me at all till i sayang him back!MadCrazy

GR needs tons of love n attention from owners! i hv experice this now!Unsure

regards,
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #9 of 27 (4511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serene_kwlim] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Serene ...

It's probably b'cos Jamie has undergone training and Max not at all. Besides, all this while he's been pampered... belum kena scolding. So now .. when you scold him, he tunjuk muka, lor ...

Regards,

Swee Eng

Terry
K9 Kaki

Jul 13, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #10 of 27 (4509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow .... finally I can get into the fprum since the teething problem with the new server ... I guess.

Thanks all for your advise, it makes sense. We try to spend a little more time with him. And he seems to better these 2 days.

Another problem with Billy is that he does his tricks only when he sees food. Without food, he has a mind of his own and does them when only he feels like it. He's quite a lazy pup.

TerryMadSmile

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 13, 2003, 10:35 PM

Post #11 of 27 (4508 views)
Shortcut

Terry~

At least you have "something" to attract Billy. Well~ you may still need the food as BAIT, BUT, make sure youspend longer time to "lecture" him about what you really mean. There's nothing wrong in treat-training although GR doesn't really need treat as reward during training session (books say so). But if you think by using treats will get Billy's attention, keep it up and remember spend more time in TRAINING rather than just to achieve the task without "communication". This would be the time for a STRONGER BOND btw you and Billy. Also, be CONSISTENT all the time and among all the family members.

Honestly, I prefer GR will some attitute. I don't really like a totally OBEYING dog. that's not FUN at all~

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #12 of 27 (4496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

heyy, if i diam diam there then he thought i scared of him leh.. don't show him some true power he won't be afraid of me next time. it's better to avoid any future agressive behavior when there's the chance to prevent it.

regards,
hunter

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 9:37 AM

Post #13 of 27 (4494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serene_kwlim] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

as mack mentioned, GRs have attitude.

to me, u scold them they don't let u sayang them. they merajuk and let u see. then finally we cannot stand anymore and in turn beg them to sayang us... they are so so so smart la.

and yes, they do need tonnes of love and attention! it's all about giving them more attention and consistency in training with the correct method.

regards,
hunter

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 15, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #14 of 27 (4486 views)
Shortcut

I guess ur rite. If not they all "tai sai" at home oledi lor.

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 15, 2003, 1:02 PM

Post #15 of 27 (4481 views)
Shortcut

It is WHAT we could GIVE to our GR, and in RETURN, to have a good GR to accompany us.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 15, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #16 of 27 (4478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

of course le. but when u have a really rebelious teen testing u, to me, if agression is involved, i cannot ignore it. on other hand, if they guai guai, a little bit of yai yai is totally not a problem.

regards,
hunter

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 15, 2003, 11:10 PM

Post #17 of 27 (4472 views)
Shortcut

I am also facing the same problem with doodle. He is now 5 months old and very rebellious. When we caged him, he will start barking and his bark can really wake the whole neighbour.
I really can't wait to take him for the next gathering. That's when he will be obedient probably because too tired or maybe too much fun already. Out of boredom!
My doodle also does trick only with food. But now he can obey sit. That's a good sign.

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 10:19 PM

Post #18 of 27 (4453 views)
Shortcut

hi terry
i'm having the same problem too, he doesn't obey my command without any food involveCrazy. do u know how to rectify this problem
>Thomas<

Terry
K9 Kaki

Jul 25, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #19 of 27 (4441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zack] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

I will praise him & pat him everytime he obeys my command before I give him food. Sometimes I only praise him without any food rewards. Now he is improving ..... but it still depends on his moods.

TerryCrazy

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 10:10 AM

Post #20 of 27 (4428 views)
Shortcut

and i thot only my goldie had mood swings wan.. he knows whos da boss but sometimes still try to be cheeky n challenge us...

he's really good when we r around, at least he knows to behave.. but if i dont see him for 1 or 2 days.. i will be sure to find damage somewhere... n if we scold or spank him his tail wag n wag ony... [mission accomplished mah] sigh Crazy or else he tau-tup-tup n sits in the corner lorr...so smart to manipulate our feelings larr..heheeeeee

i'm just wonderin if the only remedy is to wait till he is older n settles down abit leh??? sometimes really dont have time for the little darling mahh....

how ah?

Terry
K9 Kaki

Jul 29, 2003, 8:11 PM

Post #21 of 27 (4423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Rebelious Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly, the less attention and time we give him, the more frequent the mood swings ! More damage to the house.

TerryCool

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #22 of 27 (4418 views)
Shortcut

my vets' got a GR (f) & 3 other big breeds (m)..
she'll kacau them until they get pissed off..
but then goes into submission n pretend kesian ony..
so they give up... then she'll kacau again.....

so notti....i think all dogs r just really playful...esp with all the attention we dog lovers r giving them..sure spoil la....

LaughLaugh

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 9:51 AM

Post #23 of 27 (4412 views)
Shortcut

hi,

about harvey doing damage if u went missing for 1-2 days, i must say it's a brilliant way for him to get all the attention he wants from u... :/ hehehe.

well, i think puppyhood is something that should be appreciated as once it's gone... it's gone. i love having a playful naughty jolly puppy around tearing my stuffs down sometimes :) and yes, i heard when they grow old they settle down abit..

my dog is 2 1/2 years old now... he no longer step over the innocent people sitting at Padang merbok...he no longer dig holes... no longer chew up the brochures sent to our house. being a grown up boy sure fixed couple of problems. but in terms of thinking, he's still so childish la :/

regards,
hunter

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 9:58 AM

Post #24 of 27 (4411 views)
Shortcut

When they were still a notti pup, how i wish they would grown up and be a good boy. But when they are grown up and settled down with good temper... Hmm... I miss all the notti-actions so much... yeah, agree with hunter, one the notti-acts gone, they are gone... must appreaciate when they still do silly things to "kek" you~ all wonderful & memorable time~

OwnerOfEvilPup
Novice

Jul 30, 2003, 10:25 AM

Post #25 of 27 (4409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terry] Rebelious Retriever(TO ANYONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM) [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the answer to this one! haha She is entering adolescenceUnimpressedIsn't that promising? lol well you must use the Amichien Bonding Technique! This shows you are the leader:

1)Gesture eating-mix food on raised surface with crackers behind it. Pretend to pick out pieces of your dogs food(actually taking bits of crackers from behind the bowl so your dog believes that you have first dibs on his food.) Soon he will know that you have first dibs on EVERYTHING. In the wolf pack, leaders eat first, then subordinates. Follow this on your domestic dog & it should work.

2)When you lose sight of your dog, like going outside to grab something, wcome back in(or to wherever the dog is) and ignore it for 3-5 minutes(or however long it takes him/her to stop trying to get your attention, if he's like that). This will show him that you decide when play or any interaction happens. Don't look, speak to, or touch the dog(except to push him/her away if it is a big dog).

3)In the wild, the Alpha leaders lead the hunt. On walks with your dog, you must also lead the hunt. Do not let your dog get in the front position, or you will be telling him that he leads & you follow.

I hope this helps anyone who has this same problemBlush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my