Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Help!!! My puppy is limping

May
Old Hand

May 28, 2002, 7:14 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Help!!! My puppy is limping Can't Post

Help!! My puppy is limping. I always keep her indoor and sometimes I'll take her out for a walk at night. It seems that she's having problem with her right leg. I have checked her paw and her right leg but no injury found. Her condition is not so bad since she still can run and jump around but I can noticed her limping when she walk/ run slowly. What might have caused the problem?

Would like to get some advice before I bring her to the vet. Thanks.

Derrickok
Novice

May 28, 2002, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Help!!! My puppy is limping [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite frankly speaking, I am at a total loss to offer you any meaningful advice on this matter, because you are talking of her RIGHT leg. There is the front right leg and also the back right leg, so which one am I suppose to guess? If you are referring to the front one, then there is the shoulder to consider and the elbow and the wrist. And if you mean its the hind leg, then you have to consider the hip, the hock and the pastern. Any injuries to any of these joints could be the cause of limping.
On the other hand -" if she still can run and jump around but I can noticed her limping when she walk/ run slowly".- I don't see any reason for you being worried. It could be a momentary cramp that you have noticed at that particular time, or it could be a sprain. If it had been severe, your dog would not be able to run or jump around any more.
Keep an eye on her for the next few days and see if the condition improves. If not bring it to the vet and let him put on the thinking cap.

May
Old Hand

May 28, 2002, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Help!!! My puppy is limping [In reply to] Can't Post

Ops!!! I forgot to mention that she's having problem with her front right leg. I will keep an eye on her condition and if it still persist I guess I have to bring her to the vet. If it is a sprain, what shall I do???

Derrickok
Novice

May 28, 2002, 8:09 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Help!!! My puppy is limping [In reply to] Can't Post

Refrain her from jumping up & down, and don't let her jump on to the floor from chairs. Keep her quiet for a few days and see if there is any improvement. She could have received a knock on her shoulder while playing or running around the house on slippery floor. Its unlikely she is suffering from shoulder dysplasia, not common for Shih Tzu.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my