First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 6, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #1 of 54 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Heel. Why left,not right? Can't Post

Hi everyone,Smile

Why is it in Malaysia, we teach our dogs to heel on the left when it is more practical to heel him on the right(against the traffic) ?

Is it because we are following tradition? I learned that dogs were originally trained to heel on the left so that the soldiers can use their guns on the right. In modern times, are they suppose protect the us from on-coming cars? or ppl who are trying snatch our bags/hp's on the roads??

Wouldn't it be safer for our doggies to heel on the right, against the traffic?

Any comments? Btw, I trained my dogs to heel on the right for safety reasons..

If this topic has already been talked about, can someone please post the link? I've searched the forum...can't find anything..

ThanksSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

drew
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2003, 6:06 AM

Post #2 of 54 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

i tot it was because of the choke chain? as the choke chain's suppose to be in a 'P' shape so that it can choke and release and by doing that your dog has to be on your left side ...

correct me if i'm wrong ...

-laterz-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 6, 2003, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 54 (2069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it? Not sure...nvr heard of that before..Unsure

Btw, the question are for those who do not enter their dogs for obedience competitions..

Oh ya...i didn't train my pup to heel with the choke collar..so far so good.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

drew
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2003, 8:10 AM

Post #4 of 54 (2068 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

well, i take my dog for obedience class though and that's what the trainer told us ... they said if you put the other way round which is not a P shape where your pup might be standing on your right side the choke chain will not get loose and your dog might get choked !

well, i'm kinda interestd how you train your pup without a choke chain to heel ?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 6, 2003, 8:39 AM

Post #5 of 54 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Well,i had to train my first dog with a choke chain. She was the typical spaniel/terrier...very very very hyper.

Tyson,my new pup(Bullmastiff) is not so hyper. At first he was petrified of the leash. The minute you put the leash on, he'll crouch down and not move. I try jerk him,lagi he stone. So I slowly introduce the leash to him. Because he was scared of the leash,all i have to do is give him a very very light jerk and he'll slow down or sit.

Now he's becoming braver and outgoing so i need to tug a little harder.Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

drew
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #6 of 54 (2066 views)
Shortcut

haha

my dog will only do the heel work on leash ... still training though ... but on leash she can do it real good !! well, it depends on the breed i suppose ... some can do well some might not do well that fast ... Wink

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2003, 4:59 PM

Post #7 of 54 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Whether the dog can do it well or not is not b'cos of different breed.... sometimes you need to talk to the dog and give encouragement. Maybe you can go to padang merbok on sundays and observe how they do it, lor ....

Regards,

Swee Eng

drew
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #8 of 54 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha, yea i agree it might not be because of the breed Smile but to compare my silky and peke .. my peke will not even want to do the heel work at all ... Tongue well probably because she's tooo lazy then !!! where as my silky does the heel work quite ok at home but not during class !! Crazy

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 7, 2003, 5:18 AM

Post #9 of 54 (2058 views)
Shortcut

hehe..maybe bring some food to class..and she'll change her mind Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

drew
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2003, 6:00 AM

Post #10 of 54 (2056 views)
Shortcut

yea, maybe i shud do it at the next training class that she's attending ... Tongue

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #11 of 54 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Don't bring treat leh... I alwiz give my lab treats until when there's no treat, she won't even go down.

Anyway, she's a bit lazy ... from the way she walk but my smaller lab is better...

Regards,
Swee Eng

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #12 of 54 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi swee eng,

Sorry, i'm not join this topis but to ask where is the padang merbok? can u tell me how to go there bcos i also want ot learn how to train my dog.

U may email me or post the location here, thanks n sorry for interupt

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

drew
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #13 of 54 (2044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi sweeeng,

hehehee, yea !! after no treats for them they dun wanna do anything already !! ahahhahaa

padang merbuk is near jalan gasing .. very easy to recognise cause u can see a lot of bird poles there where they put the birds up ... the park for us to go for training is right beside that ... u gotta register with the first to bring your dog there for training ~!Cool

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #14 of 54 (2039 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Sorry, not sure where is Jln Gasing, is it near KWSP after Midvalley? How if i dun have doggie? can i drop by n c what they doing? i'll go find the place when i was free. Thanks

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

drew
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2003, 11:13 PM

Post #15 of 54 (2035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

yea, u can always drop by to have a peep of what they are doing and teaching there ... Cool

if u r from subang, come out from federal highway then u will see old klang road on your left then u turn in, then turn right, go straight then u will see a traffic light, before traffic light turn left then passby round about u go 9 oclock. then turn right on your first junction then go straight and turn right on the first junction again. then go straight u will see a lot of bird poles on the park .. that is padang perbuk ... ahahhahaa nice direction i gave eh? Tongue

ther ways me not sure ~!Shocked

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #16 of 54 (2008 views)
Shortcut

Hie,

Ermm, i'm also told if we ask our dog to heel on the right hand side then it might get chokeCrazy

Drew,

My silky also do very well ONLY at home but when she reach the training ground, she'll just stick by my side~!!! So everytime during training, she'll do fine in everything except stay....Geram sekali, i walk away just 3 steps she'll break her stay dMadMad And she dont take any treats or food when she's out of the house...she'll rather starve so using the food for training is uselessCrazyCrazySmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

drew
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #17 of 54 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha, my silky did well on the stand tho ! which is the easiest i suppose .. cuz all dogs in my class get to do that too ! she can do well on the heel then sit but she can do better at home rather than there !!! somemore she noes the time go home want you know!! like around the time to go home she will pull me out of the class to go to the car then i end up got to pull her back with the choke chain ! Tongue

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 3:58 AM

Post #18 of 54 (1996 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha..same thing here..Heel is the easiest for me cause she is stuck on my leg all the time so wherever i go she follows CrazyLaugh
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 13, 2003, 8:41 AM

Post #19 of 54 (1990 views)
Shortcut

good for u !

I tried to teach mocha to fetch and heel command but she just sit there and stare at me and giving the kind of look "wat r u doing ? so weird lar u ! " CrazyUnsure i also dunno wat to do liao ! dunno whether to laugh or what !

cheers,
minglmy

drew
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #20 of 54 (1988 views)
Shortcut

my silky very lazy la ... how come your's sound so "kuai" want !!! Crazy mine i put the leash on her only she so happy tot can go out lepak then i ask her to heel she look at me one kind and i shout at her onyl she does it !!! Frown

jnmx

Jul 13, 2003, 4:08 PM

Post #21 of 54 (1987 views)
Shortcut

drew...u always give nice directions one...sure can reach one....SUREEEEE....Tongue..hehe

drew
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #22 of 54 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jnmx] Heel. Why left,not right? [In reply to] Can't Post

oi, ah pek! what u trying to say ar ! CrazyMadPirate

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 2:13 AM

Post #23 of 54 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Hie,

Kuai ar?? She is 'siow' lar...ahhahahTongueTongueSmile Jaz now very 'fong soo' d..whenever she sees me holding the choke chain, she'll come rolling at my feet..ahahahSmileLaughLaugh
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh

drew
ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 2:41 AM

Post #24 of 54 (1978 views)
Shortcut

hahahaa... same la ... now my silky hor she see me take her choke chain only she so happy come towards me and jump on me already ... hahahaa but then if want to walk out of the house she see i din take her leash then she knows i'm lieing already then she will sit and look at me as if i'm an idiot ! PirateCrazy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #25 of 54 (1973 views)
Shortcut

I am not sure how true is this... But I heard that when you walk your dog on street, your dog is suppose to be on your left so that they would stay on the 'inner' side of the street rather 'outside' where it's dangerouse.. incase the dog runs off.. will be hit my vehicles... does this makes any sense to you? ha! ha!Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my