First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

boon
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2002, 1:41 AM

Post #51 of 142 (70423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BONK] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bonk,

yeap, what WKSer said is true, at leash from a breeder u can get a change to look at the pup's sire/dam. SO this will give u some sort of expetaction on how the pup will be when grow up.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

BONK
Novice

Nov 29, 2002, 4:17 AM

Post #52 of 142 (70419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice guys! Here's My plan:
1. Get some $$$
2. Look for a reputable breeder
3. Buy a doggie!

Tongue

cyphang
Canine Addict

Nov 29, 2002, 5:25 AM

Post #53 of 142 (70418 views)
Shortcut

Hi BonK:

From my very recent experience of getting a new puppy (I just got SUnnie about 12 days ago). My advice is not to be too rush when you intend to get a puppy. Do enough research first, make sure you have enough time for specific breed of puppies. For example, my shih tzu takes up a lot more time and effort and patience than I've expected because soon I will need to work full time and I won't have time to attend to her that much (Shih tzu is very sensitive to skin problems, eye problems and etc.). And also check out more breeders before you decide on the puppy you want. I believe the health and physical buildup of the puppy is more important than the price. For me, I just went to two breeder and brought Sunnie home. Not saying SUnnie is not a nice dog but you know what I mean :-)

Just my two cents of thought :-) Happy puppy searching !
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

cyphang
Canine Addict

Nov 29, 2002, 5:35 AM

Post #54 of 142 (70417 views)
Shortcut

ALso, you have to consider your financial status when you get a pure breed. I had to spend a lot more than I thought after I got Sunnie. She eats and gets better treatment than her mummie ! Just this two weeks itself, I had to spend at least RM 400 ++ for her food, accesories, medical, etc. apart from the cost of getting her. I suppose the initial cost would be higher...but if you want to get a bigger breed (like Lab, German SHepard) or a big eater (eg. Schnauzer) then you will need to spend a decent amount of money on the dog food every month.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

colinchin
Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2002, 7:18 AM

Post #55 of 142 (70379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [laikamyee] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkHi laikamyee !

I am finding out more on dobe and by the way, which breeder did you buy your dog from ?

Can I take a look at your pup ?

Regards,

Colin Chin

timchan

Dec 5, 2002, 5:50 PM

Post #56 of 142 (70369 views)
Shortcut
Re: Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Dear peeps,

I think we should be a little more sparring to petshops...Not all petshop are irresponsible. Some are clean and nice. You see, breeders here get very little exposure to the market. Even after advertising on STAR classified for 2 months, the puppies might not be taken home. Pet shops actually provide a place that help breeders to show their beautiful puppies to the general public. The dog market is still at its initial stage and I don't even think that some potential puppy owners are aware of the. I must agree that they are many puppy mills and backyard breeders around. And I also agree that petshops are the meeting places for all our "viruses". But until we educate the general public about what the term "reputable breeders" means, then can we be able to stop all petshops from getting puppies from mills.

:::Those who do not have the least respect for the smallest creatures should not be shown mercy and compassion:::

milky_ways24
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2003, 7:32 AM

Post #57 of 142 (70290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anonymous] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Winkhi..sorry for ur pup..if i was u,i wanted to burn the whole shop downMad!!!i works in a vet clinic n i saw many puppies that the owners buy from petaling street pet shop died frm canine distemper disease..mostly the puppies r sick but those assholes owner just said that the puppies r having small flu problems n it has been vaccinated!!all of them lie and lied and liedMad!!so everyone in this forum,beware n help to stop this kind of irresponsible n dicusting business b4 all the puppies suffer...pleaseFrown!thx..Wink
BaO(",)

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2003, 8:03 AM

Post #58 of 142 (70165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milky_ways24] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

hi milky- i just wonder how serious /symptom of those distemper pup? cos my shih tzu seems having slight flu since last mth i bought him back, but he didnt lost appetite- everything seems okie for him excpet he look like having flu at night or sleeping- some water came out fr his nose- is it consider distemper stage?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Apr 20, 2003, 3:06 PM

Post #59 of 142 (70098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Timmy,

Symptom of Canine Distemper are
  • The most common signs are nasal and eye discharge, coughing, diarrhea, vomiting, and seizures.
  • Mildly affected dogs may only cough and be misdiagnosed as "kennel cough." Others may develop pneumonia.
  • The nose and foot pads of the young dog may become thickened, hence the nickname "hardpad disease."

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

neurotoxicz
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2003, 1:09 AM

Post #60 of 142 (70088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

It seems like most Malaysians in PJ,KL area or West Malaysia always buy Min. Shnauchers(how to spell???!!!Crazy).Must be lots of work combing their long hair......but anyway what are the causes of distemper?Locked up too much?Stayed too long (weeks and months or years) in the cage or something....?

So,chlorox can kill germs?Never knew that.So it's err 10 parts water and 1 part chlorox???Can it like kill all the harmful germs present in a dog that has died's cage?Thanks.Wink
[~*~NeuR0ToxiCz~*~]

timmy
Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2003, 7:54 AM

Post #61 of 142 (70082 views)
Shortcut

hi Mr.Khoo, thanks for your info. the vet said he is very healthy- maybe he is allergy to dust - and gave him the flu med. now he si very good- fatter and bigger ...:)

doodle
ALPHA

Apr 28, 2003, 11:38 PM

Post #62 of 142 (70049 views)
Shortcut

How do you know whether the breeder is trustworthy or not?
The pet shop I go in subang taipan is not bad. That's what I think. His dogs are very healthy and playful and active.

How do you place your trust?

cherygan
Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2003, 2:45 AM

Post #63 of 142 (70042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, i think there's 3 pet shops in taipan itself. All of them are fine as i asked the vet in taipan, they are very choosy when selecting thier pups. And the one in SS2 is fine too coz i been recommanded by others. Besides that, you need some luck when owning a pet too i guess. Your furkid might be healthy when you buy them but things might change later on. Anything can happen.

YYY MouMou & WangWang & Byron & LiangLiang & Young & LuLu - Love 'em all YYY

lessiemeggie
Novice

Apr 30, 2003, 8:56 AM

Post #64 of 142 (70030 views)
Shortcut

I'm so sorry to hear about what happen. Well, for your info, most pet shops buy the dogs from supplier who are breeders. Many import from Thailand and Indonessia, sell at a very expensive price. We must becareful when we want to buy from pet shops. Firstly, we must be educated about the dog we want to buy. Then we compare it with other pet shop, not only the price of it, but we must observe the quality of the dog. Sly

ilovedog
New User

Apr 30, 2003, 12:37 PM

Post #65 of 142 (70027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lessiemeggie] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I'm new here.....actually just joined. Can anybody tell me the basic, like what are the thing that I should do or look for before getting a dog. Can I bring a dog and stay with me in a condo? There are quite a numbers of things that I need to know before I can decide to get one. I don't know anything about dog but I love them. What does it takes to own a dog? Hope I don't give you guys headache about this but I need some advice here. Thanks!Unsure

Khoobg
Webmaster

May 18, 2003, 4:15 PM

Post #66 of 142 (69979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ilovedog] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting a dog is a big responsibility as you will be need to take care of him/her for the next 10-15 years. Dog being dog and they do not know what you want unless you train them. It is important to provide some basic training to your dog so that they will do some basic thing correctly such as pee and poo at the place that you want, do not jump on you when greeting you.......

Many ppl who bought or adopted dogs and did not spend minimal time to train them end up finally giving them up as they find their dog as nuisance. Training can be quite a challenge for some dogs unless you are very committed in doing so. Hence, think carefully whether you are able to spend a least a few hours with your dog before deciding in getting one.

Whether you can keep dogs in your apartment or condominium, you will have to check with the management committee of the condo. Most dog lovers will have no problem keeping small breed in condo and apartment.

By the way, if you wish to buy a dog, always consider buying it directly from the breeder.

Cheers

Laurence
Novice

May 19, 2003, 9:14 PM

Post #67 of 142 (69965 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

I think most people do not think they have to do much to keep a pet. They think it is smooth sailing all the way and the pet will do just as they want it to. Now wake up! 1st you have to really want a dog and be sure you are able to keep it. I hate people who get something and when it is trouble to them they want to get rid of it. Having a pet is a lot of responsibility. We must teach our pets to live with us and try to get along together. If you work at it and learn how to enjoy your dogs company and enjoy caring for it, it will be the biggest joy in your life. But if you want some thing that will never do wrong and you do not have to go out of your way for then, buy a statue and stand it on your mantle piece.

I also would rather people adopt dogs than buy them. Why should we go and buy an expensive dog if all we want is a pet. It would be better to go to the animal shelter a few time and try to find a dog you really liked. You can also be proud of yourself for helping the poor dog and I am sure that it will repay you many times over. I often wish I was in K.L. so I could go and help with the dogs in the shelters there. Remember having a good relationship with our pets is a great joy.

Laurence

codebean
Novice

Jun 6, 2003, 8:43 AM

Post #68 of 142 (69890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Laurence] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want to share my experience with a Professional Breeder that I met in MKA.

About 3 weeks ago I went with my friend to MKA office b/c he needed to check out some information. While we were there, we saw a few breeders registering their puppies. Those, supposedly are professional breeder but if you look at them - SAD.. Their own up-keeping is very poor - very bad clothings, messy hair and nails... overall what I want to say is -- dirty & messy.

Out of curiousity I approached a lady and asked if I can look at the puppies photos in her little album. At first she sort of shouting at me 'NO'. Few minutes later, she passed me another album and said 'You can look at this one' - a bit unwillingly.

Well fine. I flipped through the photos. This is what I found.
1) This breeder raise at least 4-5 breeds of puppies
2) I notice the background of the photos where puppies were kept, it was dirty.

Well that BROKE MY HEART COMPLETELY when I link the owner's image + the photos, and this is what we call Professional Breeder ?????? And we are paying thousand bucks for the puppies ??? VERY SAD!

Well, do you really think all dogs that are MKA registered are considered good quality. I tell you NO. There is no system to check the breeder's background or their puppies history. As long as both bitch & stud are MKA registered, the puppies will automatically be recognised in MKA.

I am not saying all breeders are bad. I am sure there are many good ones out there! If you want to buy a puppy, it is best if you can visit the breeder and inspect (1)the breeder, (2)the area, (3)the pupies yourself before buying. Read up about the breed before your visit and don't be shy to ask breeder lots of questions to see how well he/she knows about the dogs. Dog lovers will be very passionate to answer your questions, look out for the sign Smile. Or do like what bgkhoo said, adopt a puppy from the shelter. Why throw away thousand of hard-earned dollars to support those unProfessional breeders!

Pirate*** SAY NO TO PUPPY MILL! *** Pirate
codebeans

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jun 6, 2003, 2:51 PM

Post #69 of 142 (69886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codebean] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that is true for most cases. The fact is even if you purchase a dog with MKA certificate from a breeder , there is no guarantee that the dog that you purchased is pure breed. A friend of mine once purchased a Shih Tzu from a breeder in Sungaiway Village and when the puppy was young at 8 weeks, the pup look like a Shih Tzu. But when it grow older, they soon realize that the dog is not a pure Shih Tzu, a mixed breed. Many of such irresponsible breeder simply mate their dog and just use the registration details of one of the male dogs for registration of puppies. There is little economical ways to prove that these puppies is the decendants of this particular male. Hence, you have to be careful even if you buy from breeder.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2003, 5:40 PM

Post #70 of 142 (69773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cdmooSmile

I came across this post upon curiosity and I am interested in the dobermann. But I can't access the url you posted.

You only wrote

/Athens/1878/

What's the full url??
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2003, 2:08 AM

Post #71 of 142 (69758 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

i also bought a little spitz from the same pet shop and he die after 2 mths, they told me the puppy is ok when i go ask them why the puppy act weird. Now i dun trust pet shop any more and try looking puppy from breeders, but it's so hard to find proper one.

Me also suggest not buy the puppies from per shop (especially from that pet shop)

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

simplethingg
Dog Kichi

Jun 25, 2003, 1:24 AM

Post #72 of 142 (69742 views)
Shortcut
Re: Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Er.....i have only one sentence in my mind after finish this topic :"don't you know what is the name of "BUSINESSMAN"? ", especially in malaysia which monopoli is happened everywhere?

Like a friend at above said, the dog market in malaysia is still at initial stage and not much competitive.. so, for those who really eager to get a breeded dog.. they is only one word : LUCK+MONEY

I apologzie if i have offended some of you at here, i am sorry

jan
Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2003, 10:19 PM

Post #73 of 142 (69719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codebean] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there !! Just would like to share some info that i heard from pet shop owner. I'm not saying that MKA is not good or what but the breeder.

I heard that some claim to be pure breed could turn out to be mix breed. For example, the breeder have breed a shih tzu. The bitch only give birth to one puppy. On the hand, at the same there are a cross breed shih tzu is giving birth to several puppies. Because they want to gain profit, they claim that the pure breed shih tzu gave birth to three puppies.

This is unfair for the owner to buy a dog and turn out that is not a pure breed. This is irresponsible act.

Jan

codebean
Novice

Jun 26, 2003, 11:53 PM

Post #74 of 142 (69720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

CRY OUT LOUD !!! Pirate
codebeans

looist
New User

Jul 1, 2003, 5:02 AM

Post #75 of 142 (69682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Pet shops warning [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry to hear that. i bought a puppy from PS pet shop two months ago. her health is good but i m so worry when i heard ur case. i m not sure whether it is the same pet shop whith ur...because there are two pet shops (which sell doddie) located at PS.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my