Home: Poll: Suggestion for POLL Topics:
Physical punishment. Yes or no?

doodle
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2003, 10:55 PM

Post #1 of 13 (9102 views)
Shortcut
Physical punishment. Yes or no? Can't Post

We have a thread about hitting our dogs as to punish them so they will be obedient.
Some say it is good and some say no. If we don't practise hitting, will our dogs be as obedient?
Is it more effective?

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 27, 2003, 11:46 PM

Post #2 of 13 (9098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,
I don't agree with physical punshment initially. However, I sort of give in the "punishment" as the consequence of not following command. eg. "NO" follows with physical action, so, they know what "NO" means. Owner also need to be consistent with the rules set.
To certain extend, 15 min "cool-down" in her crate is neccessary (eg excessive barking/ bitting...). As a result, she knows barking/ bitting will not bring benefits if she continues to do.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

jay_owl

Jun 28, 2003, 1:37 AM

Post #3 of 13 (9092 views)
Shortcut

theoretically i don agree with physical punishment, but i must b ashamed of myself cos i use that when my dogs r not behaved. i hav two mongrels n being mongrels, the character is unpredictable and they hav weak concentration while u r trying to teach them something.

i've tried not to use the physical punishment nowadays, at least, less, now i just scared them with the whip. i hope one day i don need to use any of these thread to keep them in control. i will look into the clicker training later, i've heard of some positive feedback bout tht recently.

cheers

j Smile wong

doodle
ALPHA

Jun 30, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #4 of 13 (9072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Trivor,
Ya ya ya, Sometimes have to really put them into the crate and you can actually see the halo above his head. Like an angel changed from devil. My doodle does this best with his sweet sad look. But once release him, the horns grows back.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2010, 6:38 AM

Post #5 of 13 (8529 views)
Shortcut

I know this poll is really old but I am going to answer it anyway.

Well, it depends.
Hitting, kicking, slapping - no the dog doesn't understand that type of punishment.
An understandable collar correction - yes.
Placement into a position - yes.
An understandable correction - yes.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 18, 2010, 7:18 AM

Post #6 of 13 (8525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, it's subjective.

Physical punishment? To what extent? Usually i'll stick with the "NOs", collar correction, talking to them (yes it works :P ), crate training etc. Personally, I would prefer the usual "NO" but sometimes it just doesn't work. I am not proud of this but whenever a couple of "NO"s fails to work, I result to a slight tap at the butt. This do not hurt my dog. But it's just merely a tap for attention. I'm sure there are better methods (i.e the clicker). But yes, this is what I do and this is my furthest extent of "physical punishment".

I do not believe at physical punishment, as there are many other ways. But yet again, I am in no position to say this, as I practice it too (to a certain extent).

Cheers.

elyssa
Novice

Mar 5, 2010, 12:24 AM

Post #7 of 13 (8318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scapolitejoshua] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

May I know how long does a puppy needs this "punishments"? MY puppy is 3.5 mths old and is an active, naughty puppy...just as most puppies are :P. I use the crate punishment..and yes, he will suddenly turn into an angel. My puppy "answers" me back when I scold him with a loud NO. If he does it twice, straight to the crate. But I am also ashamed to say this..at times when he does not listen after a few NOs, I do give a light tap at his butt. I sore not to use any physical disciplining..but at times that cute little angel turns into a devil...hahaha.

Previously my parents use the newspaper to beat their pomeranian lightly on the butt. I read it is not good to do that hence I never used their method..but at times I get so frustrated with him. yikes

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Mar 5, 2010, 1:13 AM

Post #8 of 13 (8314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elyssa] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read your post on the new members introduction and I understand you have a MS? I am NO expert in this nor am I a trainer. But I am more than happy to share my experiences or advice. I am not proud of my methods and once again I believe there a better methods.

Well, usually a slight tap at the butt would do the trick. And I stress on the word TAP, not hit. Once you got their attention, immediately proceed with the training. As for the phrase "My puppy ANSWER me back when i scold him with a loud NO.", I shall consider that as an act of dominance. I guess it is important to set yourself as the pack leader. Be firm and strict (not yell). Do not do this excessively (tap at the butt). Once again, a tap for ATTENTION NOT PUNISHMENT.

As for crate training, this can be a good method if done effectively. Firstly the dog should understand why he or she is sent to the crate. If the dog do not understand this, it is relatively pointless. I also found out you live in a condo? I'd heard MS are relatively loud and thus I think it is important to keep your dogs in control at all times.

Generally, your puppy is still young, and is probably just a phase of dominance, trying to be the pack leader. At 3 months, this is the best time to start training. You should start with simple obedience/tricks by now. If not, try starting with the simple (yet essential) ones first. Namely, Heel, sit, stand, stay. Start training them everyday for about 10 minutes before dinner or after a short jog. Those are the times where they are either focused on food or have their excess energy worn out.

Most importantly, do not spoil your dogs. I have a toy poodle and I understand how they might seem as angels when scolded. Sad but true, most toy breeds are very spoilt. In fact I suggest training them with kibbles or perhaps carrots (Carrots helps clean teeth) . Yummy treats can be used as well but not excessively and try to keep it at an absolute minimum.

These are my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

Thanks.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 5, 2010, 7:48 AM

Post #9 of 13 (8307 views)
Shortcut

Hello elyssa,

Just thought I'd add my two cents. The crate is NEVER to be used as punishment. You're making him think that the crate is something bad. What if you have to go somewhere & you have to leave the dog in his crate? He'll automatically think he did something wrong & you'll be teaching him nothing. The crate is supposed to be his safe place, his den. You never hit him, you never put him in his crate as punishment & you never go into the crate after him to drag him out.

Instead, once your puppy has all his immunizations, enroll him in Obedience training. He's not too young. You'll be trained & learn a lot so you can educate your puppy on how to behave. Your puppy isn't born knowing human manners & he's not born trained. It's up to you to educate your dog properly. You only get one chance to do it right.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 5, 2010, 7:49 AM)

elyssa
Novice

Mar 5, 2010, 5:07 PM

Post #10 of 13 (8284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scapolitejoshua] Physical punishment. Yes or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Thanks so much for your advice. You are right. I should not use the tap on the butt thing for punishment. I am learning. Hence now I only use it only when it is necessary to get his attention esp when he gets to excited and can't bother to hear what I say.

About his barks..so far not too bad. He barks when I am preparing his food or when he feels like he is being ignored by us. Other than that, it is more of whining than barking.

Yeah. We have started training him a little. For now he knows how to Sit and Leave It. I have enrolled him for Obedience Training Class for end of this month. So hopefully there I can learn how to teach him better and with the right way :)

elyssa
Novice

Mar 5, 2010, 5:23 PM

Post #11 of 13 (8283 views)
Shortcut

Thanks GoldenAddict. All thoughts and advice are welcome. Although I must say, different people may not give the same advice. I guess generally all are the same but it is also depending on the dog you have? Is this true?

The crate punishment was suggested by DJ's vet and it seems to be working for him. Maybe it works cos the crate that I use for punishment is different from him play den..his "safe" place where he goes too when he wants to rest or just to feel comfortable. I have gradually lessen the number of times I send him to the crate because he seems to listen to me better after doing the crate punishment. He chews and bites on me much lesser than before. Will stop once I say NO but at times still stubborn like a little kid la..hehe. So far I am training myself too not to hit him cos I do not condone to such act, though at times I must admit it did cross my mind..opssss.

I have already enrolled him to an Obedience Training Class. It would be two weeks after he gets his last immunization. I am really looking forward to that :)

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 5, 2010, 8:30 PM

Post #12 of 13 (8271 views)
Shortcut

Hi elyssa,

You're welcomed. Now, I'm not exactly sure what your question is but I am guessing you're asking whether different punishments/corrections suit different dogs?

"Punishment" infers an emotional influence.
"Correction" is a term that is preferred to be used. Corrections should not be done out of anger or retribution, as is inferred by punishing.

But yes, different corrections suit different dogs. It depends on the dogs, training & what is going on.
For example, electric fences. Many dogs would not dare to cross the line regardless of what is going on. Other high drive dogs would not go through normally but when in prey drive, with take the shock & sometimes not even register it.

My female dogs can be corrected with a stern "NO". Physical corrections are rarely needed & are usually quite mild. My high drive male Golden Retriever require more.

I hope this answered your Q.

elyssa
Novice

Mar 5, 2010, 11:01 PM

Post #13 of 13 (8254 views)
Shortcut

Thanks. Will keep in mind on your advice.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my