Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP

edlye
Novice

Apr 20, 2002, 8:23 AM

Post #1 of 18 (2585 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP Can't Post

i bought a puppy (2months old terrier) from the pet shop at jln sultan a week ago. round the second day, it suddenly had an attack or something like that. it's back leg was like out of control, it couldn't walk for a while but she tried to n would fall n roll. i don't know how to explain it properly coz i'm new with dogs. it would just turn itself around n kick its leg n it's like the leg is controlling her. then her front legs started the samething...it lasted around 2-3 minutes. today(5days from first attack), it started again for quite a number of times. i'm very worried. can someone tell me if it's normal or what kind of a disease is it n is it serious? i'm planning to bring her to a vet tomorrow. hope it's nothing serious...

Andrew

Apr 21, 2002, 4:11 AM

Post #2 of 18 (2574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edlye] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi edlye,

So have you bring your dog to vet. And what did he / she say about your dog?

What took you so long to bring your dog to the vet until it had the 2nd/3rd attack after 5 days from the 1st attack.....

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

edlye
Novice

Apr 21, 2002, 7:11 AM

Post #3 of 18 (2568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

hello, i brought the puppy to the vet already. still not very sure what disease it's having. could be epilepsy or something similar. under medication for one week then see how it goes.

well, i actually didn't know what was it when the 1st attack came along...coz new to dogs mah. i thought maybe it was having cramps or something like that. so on the 2nd attack, i knew it was something i had to get serious about. it's only 2 months old n i'm so worried. hope she'll get well soon ;) it's so scary n heart breaking to see her having such attacks...n i can't do much :(

will get back to this forum soon ;)

c ya...

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2002, 7:21 AM

Post #4 of 18 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Hi Edlye.....sorry to hear what happened to your new puppy.....I hope the medication given by your vet works....if your puppy's condition does not improve after and if your vet still cannot diagnose the problem, pls try and get a second opinion frm another vet

edlye
Novice

Apr 21, 2002, 7:28 AM

Post #5 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot, i will surely look for other vets to get second opinion if it is really serious. it's a very cute puppy...one week n she's so attached to us. she'll come near u n will sleep with u n so on...hmm, r all dogs like that?

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2002, 7:34 AM

Post #6 of 18 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Naahh I don't think so.....depends on the dog itself and also the owners I suppose....careful though if it gets too accustom to sleeping with u, one of these days if u don't allow her to she will whine alllllllll night Unsure

By the way, what kind of puppy is yours, u didn't mention?

edlye
Novice

Apr 21, 2002, 7:47 AM

Post #7 of 18 (2562 views)
Shortcut

yeah, it barks when we leave it at home alone to go out.

i did mention the breed in my first post. it's a terrier...mixed i think. what's the difference between mixed n pure? i bought the dog coz it looked the best at the pet shop. bought it for my girlfriend for her birthday.

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2002, 10:01 AM

Post #8 of 18 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Yes i meant to ask what kind of terrier did u get.....what's the diff? Go to puppy.com main page and look for the breed listing.....all those listed are pure breeds....mixed breed is a cross between two breeds and they hv fetching names for mixed breeds like a mixed cocker spaniel and a poodle is called cocker-poo and a schnoodle is a mixed between schnauzer and poodle.....charming eh Laugh

edlye
Novice

Apr 21, 2002, 5:49 PM

Post #9 of 18 (2552 views)
Shortcut

oh i c....even tho it's a mix, i wouldn't know what mix it is. but i remembered that before i bought it, the tag says that it's a pure terrier n also didn't say which type. then when i brought it to the vet n asked, she said that it's a mixed terrier. anyway we can identify?

hmmm, our conversation getting out of topic huh? LOL...

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 21, 2002, 6:33 PM

Post #10 of 18 (2550 views)
Shortcut

There are some 30 types of Terrier, and yours must be one of those types.
From what I have gathered, your terrier is suffering from a terrifying disease. It is a form of epilespsy. It cannot be cured, it could only be worse. Alternative? put it to sleep, because both you and puppy will have to endure heart ache and in the end, your vet is the person laughing to the bank.
Of course I can identify, but first I have to see.

edlye
Novice

Apr 22, 2002, 6:42 AM

Post #11 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

well, bringing her back to the pet shop to get a 50% refund tomorrow. going to miss her badly. she didn't even eat today. while talking to my girlfriend about it in front of my puppy, it seems that she knew what we were talking about n gave us one kind of a look...we were feeling so guilty! my gf is crying so hard now...anyway, can't do much rite? might as well give it back to the pet shop n see what they can do. so long...

thanks derrick, i knew the answer to my question would be what u said...i just knew it....sad but true.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Apr 22, 2002, 8:26 AM

Post #12 of 18 (2536 views)
Shortcut

There are puppies that suffer fits regularly but with medication, the frequency of fits can be reduced but not curative. After the fits, the dog will then behave normally. In your case, since the dog is not even eating, the fits may be caused by other sickness such as distemper. Always buy puppies directly from the breeder. I myself have purchased three dogs from pet shop years ago, two of them failed to survive more than 2 weeks after we brought them home. That 66.6% fatality in my case.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

May
Old Hand

May 3, 2002, 4:57 PM

Post #13 of 18 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Did u manage to get your refund????

edlye
Novice

May 3, 2002, 5:53 PM

Post #14 of 18 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

well, in a way yes but nope...hehe. coz i bought the puppy at RM700 then when i brought her back to change for another dog, she said she still had to bring it to see the vet n this n that. so i chose a labrador mix which is the liveliest in the shop...the rest are all sleeping which i think is no good from what i read from this forum. cost rm380...had to pay an extra rm200 for it :( nvm lor....coz i really think that the first puppy was going to die somehow:(

girlfren was missing that puppy...called to ask n the owner said she is alright again....went to the shop to visit that puppy n the owner said she died...dunno real or bluff lah. poor thing:(

well, now the new puppy is alright...very playfull n will make me laugh :)

brought her far vaccination already...

May
Old Hand

May 3, 2002, 6:54 PM

Post #15 of 18 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Congratulation!!!! U got a healty puppy at last.

Are u sure the 2nd puppy is a labrador mix cos the other day I went there (I think I know which shop u rrefering to), an oldman bought a mongrel for RM300. By the way, u bought the first pup for RM700 and the 2nd pup cost RM380. Why u have to pay another RM200????

edlye
Novice

May 4, 2002, 4:09 AM

Post #16 of 18 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] What's wrong with my puppy? PLS HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

yup, it's a labrador mix doberman. n yes i bought the second pup for an extra rm200...

Andrew

May 4, 2002, 4:44 AM

Post #17 of 18 (2497 views)
Shortcut

This mean your mix cost you RM 900. Why don't you ask for the refund that I think it is a better option. You can get a pure breed dog at the price of RM 900.

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

ginl
ALPHA

May 4, 2002, 5:02 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Hey Ed,

Sorry about the first puppy's death....take good care of this one eh Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my