Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING?

gabrielgohtw
New User

Jan 20, 2012, 12:29 AM

Post #1 of 8 (9863 views)
Shortcut
IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING? Can't Post

i sent my yorkie to a vet that is supposed to be reputable where the vet was supposed to scale and polish the teeth.

When I returned, i was informed that they had already extracted out four teeth.

I checked the teeth that were extracted and they do not seem to be rotting.

Is this normal?

can someone console me?

Ange
Dog Kichi

Jan 21, 2012, 1:36 AM

Post #2 of 8 (9853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gabrielgohtw] IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you check with the vet who did the extraction?

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

gabrielgohtw
New User

Jan 21, 2012, 3:05 AM

Post #3 of 8 (9852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ange] IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks ange for replying.

I did. i asked him and he said that it is supposed to aid the cleanliness of my furkid's teeth. Do you believe that?

Whether or not he was supposed to inform me before the extraction is a separate matter - what about whether it should've been done in the first place?

Ange
Dog Kichi

Jan 21, 2012, 5:02 AM

Post #4 of 8 (9847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gabrielgohtw] IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that your furkid's teeth are out, there's nothing you can do to reverse that. Frankly I adopted my 1st dog last X-mas, so maybe I'm not the best person to say anything. Anyway I would be interested to know what happens to my pet. Whenever I take him to see the vet (3x already now), I'll ask the vet what he thinks & will do to my pet. If you are not happy with your present vet, maybe it's high time you look for another one. It's your right anyway.

To answer your question - no, the vet should have checked with you first. Tell you the problem and give a solution. Then it is up to you if you want to proceed b'cos you are paying the bill.

Ange
Dog Kichi

Jan 21, 2012, 5:07 AM

Post #5 of 8 (9846 views)
Shortcut

Curiously, how does extracting teeth suppose to aid your pet's cleanlines? Any of your yorkie's teeth out of place?

gabrielgohtw
New User

Jan 21, 2012, 5:42 AM

Post #6 of 8 (9844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ange] IS IT NORMAL FOR VETS TO EXTRACT TEETH DURING POLISHING AND SCALING? [In reply to] Can't Post

ange, that is why i am posting this up. it makes little sense to me and I suspect that the vet was lazy.

I am already going to what is supposed to be one of the best vet clinics in Klang Valley. It;s a pity the vet has helpers who I have yet to check up on their qualifications.

Anyway, Id still like to hear what others have to say, before I proceed further.

Ange
Dog Kichi

Jan 21, 2012, 6:55 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9842 views)
Shortcut

Gabrielgohtw, can you name the vet / clinic or name the location?

supermutts
K9 Senior

Feb 21, 2012, 7:38 PM

Post #8 of 8 (9525 views)
Shortcut

hi there,
for some years i hv been meticulously looking after my mutts' teeth,
from my experience, the vet might extract tooth that are loose, tooth that
cause periodontal disease, bleeding from the side, swollen gums, tooth causing problem, like crowding, etc.

there has to be a valid reason from the vet to do so.
you should ask the vet to show you the extracted tooth.
I think it is not easy to extract a good n healthy tooth, so why the vet took
the trouble to do it?

most vet will just scale n clean teeth without checking whether any tooth has problem or not, cos it takes time and trouble to do so.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my