Protective over her food

Justinktw
Novice

Nov 7, 2010, 3:15 AM

Post #1 of 2 (19128 views)
Shortcut
Protective over her food Can't Post

hi,

i have a female golden retriever, and she's 7 months old. She's what a normal golden shud be, very friendly and playful and a little mischievous at times.

However, when she was about 3 months old, she started to get very protective over her food. when she's eating, my poodle and shih tzu cannot even walk near her, she will growl and sometimes try to snap when they get too near.

I separate them during mealtime so nothing bad has happened but i would like to correct this behaviour as im afraid accidents wud occur in the future.

other than the food issue, she's perfectly fine. gets along well with the poodle and shih tzu and love meeting people.

thank u!

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Nov 11, 2010, 5:56 AM

Post #2 of 2 (19069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Justinktw] Protective over her food [In reply to] Can't Post

All animals react that way instinctively when they believe others would try to touch their food, that is why they growl to warn others not to touch what is theirs. Being protective about her food with other animals is absolutely normal. It would only be an issue if she was like that with people. Also, it isn't her you should be correcting...it's your other two dogs that need to be corrected for approaching her while she's eating.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Nov 11, 2010, 6:14 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my