Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Skinny poodle!

sakeru
New User

Sep 2, 2010, 5:32 AM

Post #1 of 5 (6383 views)
Shortcut
Skinny poodle! Can't Post

I adopted 2 year old miniture poodle at 6 months ago from co-worker.

This poodle bigger than my other poodle but more heavier around 4.9 kg vs 7.18kg.

I touch my poodle like all like skin and tulang only.Feel like geli. He is a very happy dog and he go to toilet normal..He eats a lot, plus treats.

Are mini poodles always skinny.Is it normal and there is nothing I can do?

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Sep 2, 2010, 8:48 PM

Post #2 of 5 (6371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sakeru] Skinny poodle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Poodles are petite usually but don't go by actual weight, go by body condition scoring. You should be able to feel ribs with slight pressure but not see them or have to use a lot of pressure to feel them. When looking at him standing, from the side view he should have a nice tummy tuck & an hourglass shape when looking at him from above. This would be a body condition scoring (BCS) of 3 which is ideal. If you can see bones without touching him, it's not good. If you feel his hips & spine, not good.

Talk to your Vet about possible conditions that may be causing his poor weight, get some blood work done to make sure he doesn't have any kind of internal infection or a thyroid issue.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Sep 2, 2010, 8:52 PM)

sakeru
New User

Sep 3, 2010, 1:44 AM

Post #3 of 5 (6363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Skinny poodle! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bring Sake to the vet last week but doctor say he is healthy and no sickness..and I dont think he got infection.

I think will bring him again to the vet next week and ask do blood test. How much it cost? Thanks for the suggestion.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Sep 3, 2010, 7:04 AM

Post #4 of 5 (6352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sakeru] Skinny poodle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends what it's for. The best person to ask is your Vet.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

kitkat123
New User

Nov 22, 2010, 12:18 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Skinny poodle! [In reply to] Can't Post

standard poodle is larger than toy poodle, and tea cup poodle is the smallest one

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my