Rottweiler

acey
New User

Jul 30, 2010, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (10445 views)
Shortcut
Rottweiler Can't Post

Hi all,

Planning to get one and still scouting for a reliable breeder in Sibu (kinda hard to search for stuffs here). Was offered a 3 year old male rottie but very aggressive so decided to turn down the offer. I need one as both a pet and for home security (break-in prone area). Have a couple of questions before I get a rottie.

- What's the average monthly maintenance for a pup and adult rottie?
- Besides feeding (duh), what is crucial for a pup everyday? I work 12 hours, 6 days a week (get home at 9pm, sometimes later) so not sure if this kind of lifestyle is suitable to keep one.
- If somehow an adult Rott mauls and kills an intruder, will anything happen to it and the owner by M'sian law?
- Finally, how much does a homebreed pup costs on average?

Last Sunday, my next door neighbour told us there were 4 masked men in front of my house. Cut the story short, neighbour came out with shotgun, robbers-would-be ran. He used to have 3 Rotts, after they died he didn't keep any until now. His house was nearly broken in twice in a week and he just brought 2 monstrous Boxers. But the Boxer pup costs a bit too much for me so decided to get a Rott.

Any help will be appreciated.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jul 30, 2010, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 4 (10437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acey] Rottweiler [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't answer to the maintenance costs but I do have comments to the 'home protection' aspect of it.

You can pretty much guarantee that unless you put some significant training, INTENSE training with a professional, your dog will never maul anyone. Run up & bite, yeah...maybe, usually out of fear, but to bite & hold & restrain an intruder...not really a likelihood. It takes a lot of work to get a dog to believe that they're confident & able enough to defend their domain in the way a police k9 or executive protection dog would do.

I do understand the want/need to protect your home. Usually just having a large dog, any large dog, on the premises is enough to deter the vast majority of people. But honestly, I would suggest installing an alarm system & surveillance cameras instead of getting a dog if you are that concerned about your home.

As for what the dog needs, 12 hrs a day unsupervised is a VERY long time for a puppy. The dog will not be able to go that long without urinating/defecating until he's at least 8 -10 months old. The dog will require extensive socialization...meeting new people, new places, etc. "Guard dog" breeds are prone to being fear aggressive without proper training/socialization.

A fear biting dog is very dangerous & not a liability many people want to take on. So exposure to all kinds of people is a must. As for the laws, it depends on the state I guess, even in break ins the owner may still have to take the liability for the incident & in some cases, the dog may have to be put down.

My suggestion would be to think critically about what you want the dog to be. If you just want a large dog to scare off people, then choose a dog that you know you can socialize enough. One that does well with people, etc. And then teach him to bark on command. That display is typically all that is required to send the bad guys running. If you want an actual protection dog, find a trainer 1st & let them help you find the right dog.

Truthfully Rotts, Boxers, Dobes, etc have been bred in such a way recently that they don't make the best protection dogs. But if you decide to go that route, know that the dog will be expensive to come by & a life long training investment. You can't just send them to class & be done with it.

Also you have to remember, if the bad guy decides to come onto the property even with the dog barking, etc, it means he either knows how to handle the dog or he's got a knife & will just continually stab the dog until it's dead. And yes, it has happened before to 2 German Shepherds!

Rottie pups, not champion line bred or working line bred or any of that usually run between RM800-1200 a piece. Make sure you meet the parents before purchasing any dog.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jul 30, 2010, 10:08 PM)

acey
New User

Jul 30, 2010, 10:42 PM

Post #3 of 4 (10429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Rottweiler [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx GA for the information. My house do have alarm system installed but I guess they're just very bold nowadays.. except when it comes to the shotgun part.

Still in consideration because I know being away long is not helpful in training the pup, especially the toilet ethics and temperament. And my aging parents aren't really that loving when it comes to pets but the old man will play around with pups. Will taking the dog out for a 20-min walk twice a day in a park is sufficient for socializing it?

Did some research this morning till now and reading up on the breed and basics, esp about fear aggresive. And yeah I do worry about the one I get ending up uncontrollable due to my work schedule. As for a trainer, it'll be hard to find one here -_- ...

Pretty much staying in a "NO" territory now... but thanks again for sharing very useful info, mate. Cheers.

(This post was edited by acey on Jul 30, 2010, 10:46 PM)

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jul 31, 2010, 9:18 AM

Post #4 of 4 (10410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acey] Rottweiler [In reply to] Can't Post

Socializing isn't just going for a walk, it's meeting & greeting adults, kids, cats, other dogs, different environments & going for car rides. Happy dogs are confident dogs & confidence comes from being introduced to all the above & also to noise. The more places you go with your dog, the more things he/she experiences, the better temperament the dog will have.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my