Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
(Need advise) Thinking of adopting a 4 years old dog, how to make the dog recognize me as new owner?

decentdevil
New User

Jul 6, 2010, 9:51 AM

Post #1 of 2 (8466 views)
Shortcut
(Need advise) Thinking of adopting a 4 years old dog, how to make the dog recognize me as new owner? Can't Post

I am considering to adopt a 4 years old English bull terrier (EBT). His owner need to move into an apartment and the policy does not permit him to keep the dog there.

I met the EBT for 15-20 minutes few days ago when the owner present. The dog temperament seems ok and he actually comes near me walking around my legs and touch me.

The EBT has been placed in pet shelter for the past one month with only 1 day per week to get out for a walk. I felt pity to him and that¡¦s also another reason I hope I could give him a better place to stay with.

I wanted to ask fellow members, since the EBT has been attached to his owner, if I were to adopt him, is there anything I could do (apart showing lots of caring and loving) so that he would recognize me as his new owner?

I did browse through several forums on EBT rescue but so far I could not find any article on how to transition the EBT to a new owner.

Hopefully members here could shed some light to make myself prepare physically and mentally in adopting the EBT.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jul 9, 2010, 6:11 AM

Post #2 of 2 (8420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [decentdevil] (Need advise) Thinking of adopting a 4 years old dog, how to make the dog recognize me as new owner? [In reply to] Can't Post

The very best thing you can do for your new companion is to take him to a Basic Obedience class. It is an excellent way to bond with the dog & he will learn to recognize you as the "go-to" person.

It is always traumatic for a dog to change their living situation, even when it is happening for the better (not that the dog's owner's situation was like that). Dogs are creatures of habit & change freaks them out a little.

Be prepared for some regression in house training & even some anxiety chewing. There are some marvelous books out about adopting adult dogs & how to go about acclimating.

Being stern in setting the "rules" right off the bat could cause the dog to distrust you. There should be nothing physical or severe before the bonding process takes place. Patience is a better way to approach this.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my