Canine Lymphoma

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Apr 2, 2010, 8:25 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3980 views)
Shortcut
Canine Lymphoma Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

I am posting this thread as I wasn't able to find one on this topic.

My beautiful darling GR has to lumps in her neck. My vet asked me to bring her in, but I'm at work at the moment. I can only send her by tonight.

From her behaviour, her general attitude, she is quite her usual self, but that doesn't mean that she may not have this horrible disease.

I was wondering whether anybody here has had to deal with this before. What measures can be taken to prolong her life? How long will her life be prolonged for? My research tells me 9-12 months upon SUCCESSFUL completion of chemo protocol. Are there alternatives? Has anybody else tried anything else?

Sashan
Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2010, 7:37 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Peenut] Canine Lymphoma [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont panic yet ...
How old is she? Young dogs dont generally develop cancer. Is she fat? Could be fat lumps or just benign growths.

Most important is to bring her to the vet for a proper checkup, if you decide to have the lumps removed, make sure they are biopsied.

Proceed from there. Hopefully they are nothing serious.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Apr 4, 2010, 5:18 AM

Post #3 of 13 (3951 views)
Shortcut

First, this may not be lymphoma. So before you get freaked out, keep your Vet appointment. If it is lymphoma, survival depends on the aggressiveness of the tumor, the overall health of your dog & a few other factors.

Some dogs lived as long as 5 years after being treated with chemotherapy. There are also some who have only lived a few weeks because for one reason or another, the chemo couldn't be completed. There are many chemo protocols. Again the protocol used depends on the tumor, the animal & the Vet. However again this may not be lymphoma. This is why the tumors need to be properly biopsied & a diagnosis & treatment plan be initiated.

More information about Canine Lymphoma.

Please do add further details after the Vet sees her.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Apr 4, 2010, 5:23 AM)

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2010, 11:54 AM

Post #4 of 13 (3942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Canine Lymphoma [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys,

thanks for your support. my husband was worried sick about her and took leave to bring her to the vet in the afternoon.

they drew some blood and did a full body check up. she is young, very young. barely turned 1 1/2 years of age. my baby is extremely active, even until now. she still enjoys her food, her playtime with the others and she is still avidly teaching the new kitten some manners. this gives me hope that she is all right. the vet said it could be lymphoma, there always is a chance, but it also more probably could be a simple infection or even hyperthyroidism. for a goldie, she is rather skinny. no matter what food we feed her with, her lifestyle is too active and the only thing can eat to put on weight is wet food and i refuse to give her that as i believe in doggy biscuits. our vet gave us some meds and even after just 1 day, the results are incredible. the swelling in her throat has gone down significantly, but of course, touch wood
Wink

but then, today, i had to bring her in to draw some more blood as the lab needed more. when she got into the car and was sitting in the backseat with her head in between my sister and me in the front, i noticed she had something like a growth or swelling on her lip that was purple-ish in color. my vet said it could be a discoloration, but then she said, "let's not jump to any conclusions and just wait for the blood test."

that scared me. so, now i'm back to scared again.

but i know, no matter what, she is one strong girl. she will get through anything and hey, i am positive and i don't want to believe that she's got anything more than hyperthyroidism.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 5:32 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3931 views)
Shortcut

If you are only giving plain kibbles to your dog, make sure you use a good brand (Alpo, Pedigree are lower end dogfood brands). I personally like giving some meat and rice to my dog 1-2 times a week for variety and also to ensure she gets some fresh food.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 7:01 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Canine Lymphoma [In reply to] Can't Post

How could you say that (Alpo, Pedigree are lower end dogfood brands). You mean to tell me that dogs fed on these two brands will die earlier or they look more like donkey than dog?

You have plenty more to learn.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 3:47 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Canine Lymphoma [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to go look up www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

And no, your dog is not GUARANTEED to die early if you feed him cheap food, but cheap is cheap.
Lousy food = unhealthy dog, not nice coat, less fur, and unpleasant poo to say the least

Generally when people switch from a lower grade food to something better, they notice an improvement in their dogs coat(being the most visible indicator of long term health)

Of course you can always say that your dog on Pedigree/Alpo/etc survived for a good 22 years, some smokers can live to a good old age too, but we all know smoking is still bad for our health.

In the end though, your dog = your choice. You are the one responsible for his well being as he can't choose for himself. Its up to you to do your research and check your budget for the best you can give him.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 6:11 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3898 views)
Shortcut

This mutt was fed on Alpo from day one she was able to take solids. As of April's fool day she was 2 years old.

What you claimed that 'cheap' & 'Lousy food = unhealthy dog do not hold a single drop of water!!

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 7:32 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Pls do read the entire post.

Like I said, your dog, your choice. I have stated my opinion backed by my reasons why, and you have a right to yours. If you are feeling argumentative and wish to pick a fight, I'm sorry. Not interested. Go play with someone else

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2010, 10:28 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3884 views)
Shortcut

You are no match to what I know. If only you have 0.5% of my knowledge in canine related matters you would not be making a sweeping statement that is bias, self-centred, which of course is detrimental to other members of the forum

You are not in the same league as I am for any argument.

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Apr 10, 2010, 2:43 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Ummmm...

Guys, I would just like to say that my baby had tonsillitis... The "balls" in her neck were caused by an infectious swelling which now has subdued thanks to my vet/friend who brought the meds over in the middle of the night :)) Frown

As for food opinion and what not, I have to admit that my oldest (now three) didn't grow well on Smart Heart. She was my first one so I didn't know how to read the labels or differentiate one brand from another. Unfortunately, she is quite stunted which may be caused genetically, but all the vets I have been to have said it is most likely because of the food. When she was about 6 months old, when I took her to spay, we changed her food to first Eukanuba (for 1 week). She has an outbreak of eczema on her elbows that until this very day, she still has. Have tried putting on Vitamin E oil and cream and pretty much anything out there that helps, but no avail. The reason why this happened was because of the high protein levels and off-the-shelve supermarket food.

Knotidoc, I am sure you would know that since your knowledge is vast. I actually didn't until the day I had to treat that same baby of mine for indigestion as well.

Then we changed her to Sciene Diet and within a month, she shot up and her chest grew really broad. Because she did loose a bit of fur and I was worried, I changed to ProFormance. She has since been on it, never lost weight, never gained weight. 2 1/2 years after her spaying operation and she has not blown up like a balloon.

So, since her, none of my fur-kids have ever touched Pedigree, Alpo or Smart Heart again. I have had the bad experience. That is just us though. It is, at the end of the day, each to its own. Nobody gets judged for anything. Just personal preference. Like, nobody is going to judge a girl for choosing a pink thong over a blue one or a guy choosing a blue pair of boxers over a black pair of boxers.

No two of anybody's fingers are alike and the same goes for humans and even dogs.

There is no need to parade and prance knowledge around here. We are ALL giving our 2 cents worth. Don't like it, check out another thread that suits your taste more. There is no reason to get angry over an opinion, right? FrownFrown

No offense dudes! Frown

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Apr 10, 2010, 3:54 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3754 views)
Shortcut

Good thing it was just tonsillitis. I recently had tonsillitis myself & it hurt so much, I couldn't swallow. I hope she gets better soon.

And about the dog food issue, it's okay for people to have an opinion & they have every right to voice that. I personally have no strong opinion on animal food (my cat eats store brands - Fancy Feast, Snappy Tom & Whiskas & she's living happily on them with no ill effects) but I think people have a right to say their opinion BUT some people do take it too far by making rants or answers dedicated totally to harming the product & breaking down the details of every single ingredient.

Here's an example of some guy slandering certain brands of dog food & even condemning owners who feed their dogs those so-called "bad foods":
http://www.puppy.com.my/...?post=338352;#338352

It's okay to say, "In my opinion, I wouldn't feed my dog 'Bow Wow Wow' because it has a lot of fillers & there is better food out there" - it's wrong to say - "BOW WOW WOW BY HAPPY DOG HAS BEEN PROVEN TO CAUSE DIABETES, GUT PROBLEMS & EARLY DEATH".

There's a big difference between the two. Lots of people seem to be on a personal mission to educate others when it's not needed - give your two cents but you don't need to slander a product in order to do that.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Apr 10, 2010, 4:20 AM)

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Apr 10, 2010, 3:59 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Canine Lymphoma [In reply to] Can't Post

I second that!!

Hahaha... Funny that you mention your cat... My fatty at home also eats off-the-shelf Purina and he has no issues at all... In fact, he eats dog food, cat food, he did try hamster food too, but decided he'd stick to being a carnivore... hahahaha...

Truffles is doing much better now. Her activity level has significantly gone up a lot.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway :))

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my