Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Puppy Scam Alert - Buyers Beware!

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2010, 11:58 PM

Post #1 of 4 (17526 views)
Shortcut
Puppy Scam Alert - Buyers Beware! Can't Post

This kind of scam has been going on for quite some time. Classified ads in newspapers & online promise a free puppy as long as the victim agrees to pay for shipping.

So what kind of tactics do these scammers use to get their victims' money?

It's very simple. A person will advertise something - in this case, a dog/puppy - which doesn't exist. They'll come across as honest, provide you with truthful sounding information & often come across as intelligent, well-meaning people & will occasionally have sob stories about not being able to find the dogs homes where they live, for example. They'll use information you tell them to lure you closer in then they'll offer to ship the animal to you since you're in a different state (or even country in some cases). Here's where the scams split up - sometimes they take full payment & say they'll ship the puppy to your airport, sometimes they take only the shipping cost & say they'll ship the puppy even though you've never seen this dog!

If anyone ever tries to do this, all you need to do is NOT provide any payment or information & insist on seeing the puppy first & taking it home yourself. Then if they invite you to come see the puppy & they're a scammer, all it comes to is a wasted journey & lost time, instead of money.

You wouldn't do it for a car - why would you do it for a dog?

Click here to read about the infamous English Bulldog Scam

I remember receiving an e-mail from the 'Bulldog Scammer' about 2-3 years ago. After reading the e-mail, my instinct instantly told me that it was a big fat scam. Sadly, many "animal lovers" all over the world have fallen for this online scam & have lost a lot of money in the process. So guys, just remember to be extra careful. Do your research, educate yourselves & make wise decisions.

More sites with info & stories about Puppy Scams

SCAM Statistics: Yorkie Maltese Bulldog Chihuahua dogs & puppies for Sale.
Nigerian Puppy Scams Still Going Strong
B.C. man fleeced for $1,800 in Cameroon Puppy Scam
Adpost.com Pet Scammers
'Bulldog Scammer' advertising in a Malaysian Classifieds Website
Taking a Bite Out of Puppy Scams
Beware of Cameroon Pet Scammer
How to spot a scam site - Raising Awareness
Pet Scam Stories
Bulldog Scam E-mails

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 25, 2010, 12:46 AM)

braincandy
New User

Mar 24, 2010, 10:45 PM

Post #2 of 4 (17399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Puppy Scam Alert - Buyers Beware! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also recently came across this scam. Asking for 250RM to be sent via Western Union to a man in Cameroon (Africa).

They sent me an email naming themselves as World Wide Pet Transport. When searched in Google the website warns of this scam.

www.worldwidepettransport.com/puppy_scam.htm

In Reply To

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Mar 27, 2010, 12:13 AM

Post #3 of 4 (17336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [braincandy] Puppy Scam Alert - Buyers Beware! [In reply to] Can't Post

me too.. i received that mail too.. o.O

they some more provide the cage, the bed, some accessories, etc... some more the price very attractive.. and with MKA cert, vaccine, etc.. most important the dog is really very cute and beautiful...

but hor.. my cousin, at the age of 9 already knew it was a scam.. but still lots of people fall in love with the attraction and get scammed..

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 27, 2010, 1:09 AM

Post #4 of 4 (17328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] Puppy Scam Alert - Buyers Beware! [In reply to] Can't Post

And those "cutesy" puppy pictures those scammers use are actually stolen from other breeders' websites & that IS a crime.

Check out this video on YouTube. It's very interesting. You'll be able to see how these scams are actually done.
ABC NEWS Nigerian Scam Documentary(419)

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on May 28, 2010, 9:09 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my