Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
7 Month Old Mutt Biting and Nipping

xxept0
New User

Mar 2, 2010, 3:27 AM

Post #1 of 2 (20445 views)
Shortcut
7 Month Old Mutt Biting and Nipping Can't Post

My 7 month old Summer is a major sweetie, but when she's excited, she tends to bite and nip us. Especially my mum and dad. They're really getting annoyed by this, and I'm afraid of what might happen if the problem persists

Sometimes, she'd even jump up and bite. Just this morning she jumped and bit my mum on the armpit! My mum got so angry she grab her by the neck for quite a while until she laid down submissively.

I've tried telling her no, yelling at her, prying her away, even hitting her. I've even tried to mimic a doggy situation, where if they bite too hard, the other doggy doesn't want to play. So I tell her no and stop playing with her for awhile. but what frustrates me is that more often than not, she nips when we ARE ignoring her!

It's so frustrating, because I really sayang her and she's such a sweetheart.

Some additional info if it helps, I adopted her about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 2, 2010, 9:31 AM

Post #2 of 2 (20429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xxept0] 7 Month Old Mutt Biting and Nipping [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I did to a constantly nipping dog.

I held him in place by his scruff - he didn't like that.
Gave a command...whatever you like...I used "NO!"
Pulled his lips over his top teeth...then chomped down & bit his own lips - definitely didn't like that.
He whined like a little girl.

He never nipped again after that.

Dogs nipping & biting me is NOT an option. A 7 month old dog should no longer be nipping, in my book. And if any dog ever tries to bite me, I will bring the wrath of GOD down upon its head.

You really need to be FIRM with your dog. You need to correct her strongly enough to make an impression. Also, if she isn't obedience trained yet, it's best to enroll her in classes asap. There are a "handful" of dog schools in Malaysia you can choose from. You will be taught how to teach your dog by professionals & your dog will benefit from it only IF you apply that knowledge.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 2, 2010, 9:54 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my