Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: General: Chit Chat:
Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs?

Sashan
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2010, 6:20 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3783 views)
Shortcut
Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? Can't Post

In response to ACC's post, I would like to open some issues for debate

ANIMAL WELFARE: ARE POLICE OR LOCAL ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES DOING THEIR JOB?

Lost or Stolen Dogs (Or cats)

ACC Wrote

A Home being trespass, a dog being stolen, and local enforcement agency being condemned!

1) How do you expect to make a citizen arrest without any legal or proper documentation?

2) How many cases do you know that dog/puppy being stolen from home?

3) How are you going to claim or to sue a person knowing he/she keeping a stolen dog/puppy intentionally or unintentionally?

4) How are you going to get back your dog/puppy if found overseas?

5) Would be a long list to go on……

1) Firstly, how do you make a citizens arrest?
Response: We don't. Thats not generally done or accepted in Malaysia. We should instead provide a microchip number registered to our name, and photographic evidence of you and your dog.

HOWEVER!
If you do know/accuse someone of having your dog, which is microchipped to your name, and/or have photographic evidence of you and your dog, do police actually take action by even checking the dog's microchip number? Haven't heard of any cases of that, unless its some Show dog worth thousands (Haven't heard any cases either).

Response: Pls read Lost and Found Forums, forums.lowyat.net/PetsWonderland, Petfinder.my...
No doubt a lot of people have lost their dog when it runs out of their house. Others have also lost their dog right from their compound in the early mornings, or returned home to find their gates compromised.
It seems in Subang/KL, these cases are quite frequent, and there are professional dognappers running around. Even you agree to this suggestion in your post www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=337503;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

3) How are you going to claim or to sue a person knowing he/she keeping a stolen dog/puppy intentionally or unintentionally?
Response: How indeed? Even if you have a microchip embedded in the dog, with photographic evidence, will making a report to the police do much? If its a valuable dog, maybe, but one thats worth 1k max, that looks like every other dog of its breed? (Eg Min Pin, Schnauzer, Poodle, Shih Tzu....)

Response: Firstly I doubt your dog would be sent overseas, doing a BYB in Malaysia is easy and profitable enough, or just reselling it in some petshop. If for some reason it DID go to Thailand or something, and you DID track it down, and you DO have proof, I think the dog means enough to you that you dont even need to ask that question..

ANYWAY, some further issues/questions
1) What ARE our local enforcement agencies doing about animal welfare, or lost/stolen dogs?
I say NOTHING MUCH! Remember the DBKL case where dogs and cats were being cruelly put to death? The mayor appeared on TV very happily, promised an inquiry because we must investigate these accusations properly (not quoted verbatim, I can't remember his exact words in BM) but the only result that has been made public from that entire fiasco is that theres now a solid fencing around DBKL's compound.

2) What are Local Enforcement Agencies doing about overly aggressive dogs which are a risk to people?
Remember some years back when 2 rottweilers mauled an old lady to death? There was a big hoo-haa about it, they wanted to include Dobbies, Rotties and other big dogs into the banned dog list, and I believe some areas actually have banned those 'fierce dogs' so you can't get a license for them? People had actually made complaints about the 2 dogs before the incident, but no action was taken until it was too late. The dogs were put to sleep (naturally!) and the owners were fined and I believe sent to jail (can't confirm that). What happened after? Has the council taken any steps with regards to these type of dogs? GoldenAddicts mom is still waiting.

3) Animal Cruelty and Neglect.
Who do we report cases of cruelty to? Can and has action been taken? Some people say SPCA, some say police, but police don't care, others say Jabatan Perkhidmatan Haiwan. You hear of cats, dogs, rabbits being neglected and abused.
Who should we report to, and back up our claim, and actually get action taken?

In summary, I still think our Local Enforcement Agencies have a long way to go in these regards. Are they doing their job? No. Are they trying? Individually, maybe, as an agency? No.

What do you guys think?

P.S: This is not meant to be confrontational, but instead, an open debate to state your opinions.

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 17, 2010, 8:25 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you saying that even a home being break-in with or without finger prints left behind, valuables stolen...MUST MAKE A POLICE REPORT...dogs/puppies stolen...MAKE A POLICE is a waste of time?

Even you aware those dognappers are making their rounds everywhere, and you expect the cops to go after them? HOW? They don't even have a file or report to go through (no case), thats why IPKs, Bkt. Aman would say the same thing....Waste of time to form a Task Force....is "tidak ada apa attitude" from both ends. How are we to progress from here? NATO.....(you should know this term). Don't just assume our very own Police Force doesn't know what they are doing...(btw do you have bad experience dealing with them before?)

If one is not qualify and do not have the resources and infrastructure to track missing dogs/puppies, i am sure they have plenty to talk and debate in a so call forum areas. But if put into good and constructive use, i believe many would benefit from these directly or indirectly. Don't forget this Portal is access by many local and foreign.

If a person is bitten by a dog, and what was being describe by you no action was taken, I would say they ran short of option to resolve the matter in favorable to them....the person can opt for civil suit, engage a lawyer and let them handle it but don't demand something that would profit your pocket. The laywers would even want the person to make a police report before he/she starts to investigate the findings.

By the way, who says to make a police report when knowing the dog/puppy went missing due to owners' responsibility?

(This post was edited by ACC on Feb 17, 2010, 9:10 PM)

Pakfuren
Dog Kichi

Feb 17, 2010, 9:09 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sashan... Salute to you........very very well said.

Pakfuren
Dog Kichi

Feb 17, 2010, 9:17 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACC] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

ACC. c'mon. agree to Sashan's statement. No need to defend yourself . I wonder why you keep saying Police will help to trace lost dog after a report is made ?????
.......have you made a dog lost police report.???????? what have they done so far ?

Accept the fact.........need no to get annoyed with Sashan and me lor........ we are here to discuss ....K ? K ? K ? smile.........

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 17, 2010, 9:22 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pakfuren] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

One year have 365 days, you better hope and pray your dog/puppy don't ever go missing. Why are you still not checking-in at a thread specially dedicated for you? Ain't you here for talk...BIG TALK! Btw how is the metal piece in your body doing? Make sure is not rusty...Cheers!

WE ARE STILL WAITING

Home: Lost & Found: Lost, Missing or Stolen Dogs: Pakfuren Ways Of Handling

(This post was edited by ACC on Feb 17, 2010, 9:31 PM)

Pakfuren
Dog Kichi

Feb 17, 2010, 10:07 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACC] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

kekeke. very kind of you to open a thread for me ..... and thousand thanks for making fun on my slip disc.............

yes. I like to talk and talk and talk to people like you. kekeke

My dog will not get lost or missing because I have a special gate and special attention 24 hours round the clock....they are free from leash and cage. and they will not go out of the gate when it is opened .....training lor...kekeke....

metal piece in my body ? no. never ....I did not have metal in my body ...you have misunderstood about the conversation that I had with someone saying about my slip disc ? there you are .......my dear....dont you know : presumption kills.........I did not go for slip dic operation but I am doing fine and well with a little exercise (Longevitology ) lucky me wor....so nice of you with your sarcastic wishes..........thank you.

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 17, 2010, 10:14 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pakfuren] Animal Welfare: Are Police or Local Enforcement Agencies doing their jobs? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOLOLOLOLO still have another 315 days just in a year....Keep praying Sly
You ran after your running dog...thats how you ended....Cheers!

OOOOi

(This post was edited by ACC on Feb 17, 2010, 10:18 PM)

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 18, 2010, 3:52 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3743 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In response to ACC's post, I would like to open some issues for debate

ANIMAL WELFARE: ARE POLICE OR LOCAL ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES DOING THEIR JOB?

Lost or Stolen Dogs (Or cats)

ACC Wrote

A Home being trespass, a dog being stolen, and local enforcement agency being condemned!

1) How do you expect to make a citizen arrest without any legal or proper documentation?

5) Would be a long list to go on……

1) Firstly, how do you make a citizens arrest?
Response: We don't. Thats not generally done or accepted in Malaysia. We should instead provide a microchip number registered to our name, and photographic evidence of you and your dog.

HOWEVER!
If you do know/accuse someone of having your dog, which is microchipped to your name, and/or have photographic evidence of you and your dog, do police actually take action by even checking the dog's microchip number? Haven't heard of any cases of that, unless its some Show dog worth thousands (Haven't heard any cases either).

Response: Pls read Lost and Found Forums, forums.lowyat.net/PetsWonderland, Petfinder.my...
No doubt a lot of people have lost their dog when it runs out of their house. Others have also lost their dog right from their compound in the early mornings, or returned home to find their gates compromised.
It seems in Subang/KL, these cases are quite frequent, and there are professional dognappers running around. Even you agree to this suggestion in your post www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=337503;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Response: How indeed? Even if you have a microchip embedded in the dog, with photographic evidence, will making a report to the police do much? If its a valuable dog, maybe, but one thats worth 1k max, that looks like every other dog of its breed? (Eg Min Pin, Schnauzer, Poodle, Shih Tzu....)

Response: Firstly I doubt your dog would be sent overseas, doing a BYB in Malaysia is easy and profitable enough, or just reselling it in some petshop. If for some reason it DID go to Thailand or something, and you DID track it down, and you DO have proof, I think the dog means enough to you that you dont even need to ask that question..

ANYWAY, some further issues/questions
1) What ARE our local enforcement agencies doing about animal welfare, or lost/stolen dogs?
I say NOTHING MUCH! Remember the DBKL case where dogs and cats were being cruelly put to death? The mayor appeared on TV very happily, promised an inquiry because we must investigate these accusations properly (not quoted verbatim, I can't remember his exact words in BM) but the only result that has been made public from that entire fiasco is that theres now a solid fencing around DBKL's compound.

2) What are Local Enforcement Agencies doing about overly aggressive dogs which are a risk to people?
Remember some years back when 2 rottweilers mauled an old lady to death? There was a big hoo-haa about it, they wanted to include Dobbies, Rotties and other big dogs into the banned dog list, and I believe some areas actually have banned those 'fierce dogs' so you can't get a license for them? People had actually made complaints about the 2 dogs before the incident, but no action was taken until it was too late. The dogs were put to sleep (naturally!) and the owners were fined and I believe sent to jail (can't confirm that). What happened after? Has the council taken any steps with regards to these type of dogs? GoldenAddicts mom is still waiting.

3) Animal Cruelty and Neglect.
Who do we report cases of cruelty to? Can and has action been taken? Some people say SPCA, some say police, but police don't care, others say Jabatan Perkhidmatan Haiwan. You hear of cats, dogs, rabbits being neglected and abused.
Who should we report to, and back up our claim, and actually get action taken?

In summary, I still think our Local Enforcement Agencies have a long way to go in these regards. Are they doing their job? No. Are they trying? Individually, maybe, as an agency? No.

What do you guys think?

P.S: This is not meant to be confrontational, but instead, an open debate to state your opinions.

oh btw..many many many many ppl in Malaysia do not know abt having microchip in dogs/cats.some even told me that it cost over 1000 bucks..Frown

n many many many ppl do not put microchip in dogs even tho they knew abt it..most of them think like this:dogs only,dont hv to be so 'high tech',somemore 100 bucks,they would rather hv a big feast!

police/local authorities?,definitely not doing their job,their mind:dogs only,who cares,would rather hv a road block n get some duit kopi.

other than that,SPCA r really..hmm...the way the catch the dog...juz terrible.i saw once,they actually pull the tail until the dog get into the van.Is that the correct way to handle a dog(even tho it is a stray)?go to chinese.cari.com.my,some even posted abt the local authorities shoot the dog with a gun on the spot.

THATS MALAYSIA.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2010, 4:45 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Good question Sashan...

Well guess what? Our neighbours, the one who owned the aggressive dog, actually have been reported to the police THREE times over the course of 3 years. Two was made by us & the other one was made by another dog owner who lives in our neighborhood. He was walking his Beagle one afternoon & the aggressive dog got loose & tried to attack the Beagle but missed & bit the kid between his thigh. He had to get stitched. This happened 1 1/2 years ago. Police did nothing.

So, 3 1/2 years later, after three reports & still nothing done by the police, I think this pretty much proves how UNHELPFUL these guys can be. Btw, the dog catchers even took pictures of the dog running loose outside it's property & even made another report for us (so that actually makes it FOUR) but STILL no action was taken by the police.

So to answer your question, NO they aren't especially when it comes to these kind of cases.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 18, 2010, 5:08 AM)

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 18, 2010, 5:43 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3723 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Are you saying that even a home being break-in with or without finger prints left behind, valuables stolen...MUST MAKE A POLICE REPORT...dogs/puppies stolen...MAKE A POLICE is a waste of time?

Even you aware those dognappers are making their rounds everywhere, and you expect the cops to go after them? HOW? They don't even have a file or report to go through (no case), thats why IPKs, Bkt. Aman would say the same thing....Waste of time to form a Task Force....is "tidak ada apa attitude" from both ends. How are we to progress from here? NATO.....(you should know this term). Don't just assume our very own Police Force doesn't know what they are doing...(btw do you have bad experience dealing with them before?)

If one is not qualify and do not have the resources and infrastructure to track missing dogs/puppies, i am sure they have plenty to talk and debate in a so call forum areas. But if put into good and constructive use, i believe many would benefit from these directly or indirectly. Don't forget this Portal is access by many local and foreign.

If a person is bitten by a dog, and what was being describe by you no action was taken, I would say they ran short of option to resolve the matter in favorable to them....the person can opt for civil suit, engage a lawyer and let them handle it but don't demand something that would profit your pocket. The laywers would even want the person to make a police report before he/she starts to investigate the findings.

By the way, who says to make a police report when knowing the dog/puppy went missing due to owners' responsibility?

NOTE: If this posting not up to your expectation, I would then suggest you’ll to seek MCA Public Services and Complaint Burea ( Datuk Michale Chong) or even Sassy MP (Teresa Kok)……should be able to locate them easily…Cheers!

Sashan
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2010, 6:41 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3713 views)
Shortcut

(This post was edited by Sashan on Feb 18, 2010, 7:16 AM)

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 18, 2010, 7:06 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3704 views)
Shortcut

Why not? They have the resources, connection, infra and the media behind them....isn't that what you want? Get to the bottom of it by pass the local enforcement agencies since you highlighted that they are in no use.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my