Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right?

tessadog
New User

Feb 12, 2010, 11:49 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3003 views)
Shortcut
There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? Can't Post

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 13, 2010, 12:01 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tessadog] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope. I do not agree with that statement. There ARE 'bad' dogs. It is called unsound/unstable temperament due to genetics. Same thing in humans.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 13, 2010, 12:02 AM)

tessadog
New User

Feb 13, 2010, 12:07 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

WHAT CAUSED THE DOGS TO BECOME BAD....THE OWNERS, RIGHT..........?

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 13, 2010, 12:11 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tessadog] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone put it very well, I can't remember who told me this, but:

"Nature (breeding) is the sheet music, nurture (training & socialization) is the conductor."

You can influence the dog, but you can't change it's fundamental nature.

I hoped I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 13, 2010, 12:13 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010, 12:38 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally disagreed. 99% of so called bad dogs are caused by bad, inexperienced, incompetent, irresponsible, and erratic plus what have you in mind the OWNERS

If the owner is the 'conductor' and the dog is the sheet music or should I say the orchestra. The sound of music is only as good as the weakest link. In this case if the conductor cannot interprept the composser's feeling and expression how could he bring out the brillance of the orchestra.

I always maintain that all dogs are capable of biting but I also believe that no dog will bite the hands feeding it.

This I find is quite an interesting topic and should be discussed further.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 13, 2010, 5:30 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

If a dog's genetics make it temperamentally unstable though, there's nothing that any amount of training, socialization or loving care can do.

You also cannot "train out" the high herding drive of a work-bred Border Collie or the prey drive instinct of a hound dog. You need a balance of both good breeding & proper training/socialization to make a stable, well trained dog.

Yes all dogs have the ability to bite but I wouldn't say that a dog wouldn't bite the hand that will feed it. There are dogs out there that are just too unstable.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 13, 2010, 5:36 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010, 8:26 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Unstable temperament in a dog is the result of idiots crossing this breed with that and thought they have achieved and succeeded in creating a super duper animal. Who is responsible? Human beings.

Genetics is an area I am not familiar, I will not make a fool of myself and profess that I know plenty. But I do know that genetic science is such that when things are supposed to be right is could be wrong or vice versa

Highly strung and unstable temperament in dogs are very dangerous. This I fully agreed. With a medium size animal the damage may not be serious and sever. But if a GSD or any of the heavy weights having a go at you, it could fatal. I always respect a dog more than a human being.

Although animals don't talk much but if you are smart enough, you could see from the expression of their eyes and face if they are friendly or hostile and their body language will also tell you if they mean business.

By the way, this could be well out of topic in what we are discussing. If ever you have a dog with acute separation anxiety; bark non stop, destroy anything that's in its path, send it to the vet and have it sedated after 24 to 48 hours your problem is solved.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010, 2:32 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, concerning acute separation anxiety, if you are only leaving him for 24-48 hrs I guess it would work, but once the sedative wears off you're probably back to square 1.

Any particular breed prone to this?

About the bad dogs ... I agree some dogs due to bad breeding or just bad temper may be considered a 'bad' dog.

I personally used to own one who was really really possessive, and would snap/growl at us when we tried to move her out from under her chair/take her bone/toy away. Being gentle or smacking her didnt really work. In the end we just made sure she never had access to any trash or leftovers. Sometimes she would even go to the kitchen counter and guard it when her food is cooling there ... :/ But she would move away from that when we spoke firmly to her and didnt shove her away, just reached over her.

She was my one and only crackpot dog! Cant say she became like that because of the way we trained her, since we trained all our dogs the same. All of them are pretty easy going except her.

She had 10 pups (escape artist!), we kept track of 5. 2 males (all black, double coat, VERY beautiful, looked like Muffin) were very aggressive and 1 destroyed things when pissed, 1 female (black pup, named Bugs, looked like muffin as a small pup, but is now brown instead of silver) had a slight tendency to possessiveness, but calmed down as she got older. Have no probs handling her food/hauling her around, 1 male (black n white) big friendly dumbass, and 1 female (brown, short coat, looked like dad), also has tendencies to guard/bite and kill anything that walks into her garden including biawak, snakes and cats.

Based on my observation of Muffin n her pups, I'd say genetics do play a role in temperament. Breeding the wrong dog can result in pups which are difficult to control. BUT also given time and love and workarounds, you can live with them, as long as you dont have small kids running around. Muffin got calmer as she got older, until she got poisoned at 8 yrs old :(

The last 3 pups I mentioned are still going strong in the loving homes of me, my aunt, and sis's husband. :)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010, 9:11 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] There are NO BAD DOGS.....its 100% the owners fault, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I feared most the pampered ones and also those that are in the middle age. If I could overcome their separation anxiety within 12 to 24 hours, the problem is solved. There is no hard and fast rules as to which breed or a particular breed. I love to jaga young puppies anything from 3 months to 10 months old, bcoz so long they have play, run and treats they settled down very fast and they won't bother a bit who their owners were and why they were here.

Precisely this is what I meant. If a nervous/shy biter is mated to an agressive biter the chances of its off springs being a bad dog is very great. The fault comes from human beings from making this to happen.

In general, I have an excellent knowledge and vocabulary on most of the pedigreed dogs from chihuahua to irish wolf hounds except MUTTS bcoz no one really know what they are and from what parantage. The only way to get to know them is to watch their body language and facial expression and use your wisdom in handling them.

There are some 250 accounts in my boarding list since 1995 and I have only rejected 2 dogs -a Dally mixed with god knows what and a Shar Pi- Both I considered as dangerously high risks and with unsound mind/temperament. The cross dally is really dangerous, bcoz it humped whenever it could. When pushed away it will bite and if allowed to continue it will also bite as it got excited. Only solution is to have a plastic bucket in hand and when it does the humping put the bucket over its head.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my