Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
what is the symptons of having worm in stomach?

susanlow89
Novice

Jan 20, 2010, 1:27 AM

Post #1 of 11 (9601 views)
Shortcut
what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? Can't Post

hi all,

i am new here, i actually juz bought a shih tzu but recently he seldom poo, he ate alot each days but he does not really poo.. is that an indication tht he has worms in his stomach.. his stomach is quite big any suggestion??

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 AM

Post #2 of 11 (9578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [susanlow89] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

98% of all puppies are born with worms that they contracted before they were born from their mother & if you got your pup from a responsible breeder, he/she would have already wormed it & the other puppies at the age of 2-3 weeks old. They need at least 2 more wormings every two weeks to totally kill all the worms & eggs inside them.

Look at his poop, if he has worms you should be able to see them moving around.

If he does have worms or if you're concerned he might, you need to take him to the vet. They can do a blood test & tell you, it only takes a few minutes. If he has worms, you need to get him treated very, very soon. The longer he has them the more expensive treatment will be because they'll have to treat them more aggressively. Plus, you're putting your pup at risk if he is infected.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 21, 2010, 12:51 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010, 1:18 AM

Post #3 of 11 (9573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

Me think she is referring to hook,round,tape, and whip, possibly thread worms. One dose of 'Drontel' at 1 tablet/10kg of body weight should do the trick.

Blood test I thought is for heart worms.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

(This post was edited by Knotidoc on Jan 21, 2010, 1:21 AM)

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 21, 2010, 1:41 AM

Post #4 of 11 (9565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oops, my mistake! Yes, blood test is usually done to check for heartworms but then again, I am not sure how old this puppy is & whether it has already started it's heartworm treatment if it's already 6 months old or above.

I gave my puppies the liquid-type worming medication when they were two weeks old & then they were given pills when they were older. I can't remember what brand it was but I don't think it was Dontral. I also doubt this Shih Tzu weighs 10 kilos yet.

The best person for this poster to ask in the end is the Vet. I personally wouldn't advice what kind of medication to give since I am no Vet & cannot diagnose the pup over the internet.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010, 1:57 AM

Post #5 of 11 (9561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is only a guide line for those with a fair amount of knowledge on canine related matters.

In any case no one is able to give positive diagnosis on any ailment without seeing the animal.

The 'snap tests' on heart worm is only 65-70% accurate. If you want a 100% fool proof it should be the 'AG' test conducted by a lab.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

susanlow89
Novice

Jan 21, 2010, 2:32 AM

Post #6 of 11 (9558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx for the knowledges tht u guys had posted up.. actually my shih tzu is 1 year and 2 months..is there any way to control my shih tzu from eating other stuffs? he likes to bite all kinds of things..i need help..

susanlow89
Novice

Jan 21, 2010, 2:37 AM

Post #7 of 11 (9558 views)
Shortcut

thanx for the knowledges that had been shared..anyway is there anyway can i get rid of my little Shih Tzu who was 1 year 2 months from bitting n eating other things?

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 21, 2010, 3:41 AM

Post #8 of 11 (9553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [susanlow89] what is the symptons of having worm in stomach? [In reply to] Can't Post

You should really bring your dog to the Vet by tomorrow for a check up. Did the breeder give you the dog's vaccination card to prove that it has already had 3 vaccines & worming?

When you're not supervising him, you put him in his crate so that he does not chew things in your house. Buy him some chew toys, exercise him more often & TRAIN him. Dogs chew things when they're bored & under-stimulated both mentally & physically.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 21, 2010, 3:44 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010, 3:47 AM

Post #9 of 11 (9550 views)
Shortcut

If your pet is 14 months old best you visit your area vet and ask him to check for worms both intestine as well as heartworms. Make sure that you don't end up with a couldn't care less vet or a vet that will 'cut your throat'.

As for other bad habits punishment is only effective when caught red handed. Otherwise forget it and wait for other time. When you have caught it red handed, pick it up with both hands under the arm pits and shake the day light out of him or her, or you could use a thick rubber band one that the postman used to tie up the letter, aim and fire. This method is for medium range correction.

Your pet is still a growing up puppy and if you let it have its own way it will grow up to be an adolescent brat and you'll have a handful.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010, 3:58 AM

Post #10 of 11 (9547 views)
Shortcut

In your training program, have you ever pick up a toy dog or a JRT size dog with both hands under the arm pit and shook some day light into it?Sly

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 21, 2010, 11:59 AM

Post #11 of 11 (9525 views)
Shortcut

I have never done that to a dog nor have I advised other people to do that to theirs because I don't see how that can be effective in correcting a dog. When correcting a dog, it's got to be done 1 second before the dog forgets what it has done wrong & the correction has to cause some kind of quick, sharp pain.

You know, there's such thing as 'Shaken Puppy Syndrome' (very much like 'Shaken Baby Syndrome'). There are dogs out there who are brain damaged & paralyzed because people shook them too violently. Many people do that out of anger & frustration & they do not know how hard is too hard. If it's not done hard enough, no effect. If done too hard, damage will be caused. When you shake a dog or a human baby, the brain inside the skull is knocking back & forth repeatedly & that is how the permanent damage is caused.

I have shaken my 5 week old puppies by the scruff when they were 'biting' me all over & I only did it ONE time & they stopped instantly. I did that to replicate how a mother dog would correct her puppies & I made sure I did it correctly so that it was EFFECTIVE (and it was) & will not cause any damage whatsoever to the fragile puppies. Other times, I would just pick them up by their scruff while saying a firm "NO!".

The important thing about correcting a dog is that it has to be effective & if you want to correct a dog by shaking it like that, then you gotta make sure it works after doing it ONE time. If you have to keep on doing it then obviously it is not working & in the end it's just abusive.

This Shih Tzu is obviously bored out of its mind & untrained. Well-exercised & trained dogs are happier, calmer & much more well-behaved in the home.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 21, 2010, 12:55 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my