Dogs and Children?

CorgiLUVR
New User

Jan 16, 2010, 5:31 AM

Post #1 of 10 (15492 views)
Shortcut
Dogs and Children? Can't Post

Hi!

I have two 3 year old daughters and I am thinking of getting a dog next week. Can someone please tell me if it's okay to have a dog live in a house with little children? Pros and cons? My friend told me that it is not a good idea to have a dog yet until the girls are a little older. Why is that?

Thank you.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 16, 2010, 5:38 AM

Post #2 of 10 (15484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CorgiLUVR] Dogs and Children? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say it depends on the breed of dog you are planning, if you have the time required not only to train & socialize a new dog but also to teach your daughters how to behave & respect the new addition.

Any new pup/dog will need to be crate trained so it has a place to go to sleep & somewhere it can go away from the children & the children need to be taught that the crate is the dog's den & not a place they go into or touch the dog when it's in there.

Children brought up with pets learn an awful LOT about respect, care & looking after another & even at three years old your daughters can be given small jobs that need doing, like helping to groom or feed, going with you to training classes (with another adult to look after them), etc.

However if you think you can't devote the time & energy it takes to train and socialize a dog then wait until they are older.

You must make sure you NEVER leave any pup/dog alone with children for any time, so children don't tease or get too excited in play or hurt the dog & dogs don't get fearful/anxious & bite or treat the children as 'littermates' & if the dog is trained & the children taught to respect it then those things won't happen.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 16, 2010, 5:55 AM)

CorgiLUVR
New User

Jan 16, 2010, 6:19 AM

Post #3 of 10 (15473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Dogs and Children? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Golden Addict!!!!!!! You gave a very good answer. I am getting a Welsh Corgi next week. I did a lot of research on this breed and I think it is very suitable for our family. There is one more thing I would like to ask you, what does socializing mean?

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 16, 2010, 6:25 AM

Post #4 of 10 (15466 views)
Shortcut

What does 'socialization' mean?

It does NOT mean dog parks or dog dates. It means you get the dog out to as many different places as possible & exposing it to all every day events - around strange people, other dogs, different smells & noises, etc. Dogs learn to walk on any kind of surface, get used to all kinds of sights & sounds & simply, learn to live in the world comfortably.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 16, 2010, 6:37 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2010, 6:29 AM

Post #5 of 10 (15461 views)
Shortcut

It is certainly a NO NO affair. If you intend to get a puppy the situation is just as bad as in getting an adult animal.

What I understand from your posting is, the dog will either have access to the house or it is kept as an indoor pet.

If it is a puppy, it needs house breaking or what a layman says doing its business in the garden. Both your daughters are 3 years old, I doubt if they could distinguish toys from well you know what.

A puppy had razor sharp teeth and nails aren't blunt either.

If it is an adult dog, you do not know its background. This could also be dangerous to your children.

IMHO when your children are 5 years old only then you contemplate in having a dog and by the way you should also consider the criteria in keeping a dog, in other words as a pet for the children to play and run around the garden or as a watch dog. Therefore, breed and type of dog is also important in your choice.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010, 2:16 AM

Post #6 of 10 (15427 views)
Shortcut

We were 12/10/3/2, along with my 80 yr old grandma when we got our 2 dogs. They were outside dogs (but snuck into the house every now and then), and were totally our responsibility (12 and 10 yr old) in regards to feeding and baths.

We never had any issue with the pups or the toddlers, they played together and petted the dogs without fear. Also, our dogs NEVER jumped on our grandma even though they would jump up on the 2 elder kids. Matter of fact, when we went for walks by the beach, another 2 adult mongrels would join our 'pack' and roam together.

With regards to breed, our pups were a white spitz+mongrel cross. Totally intelligent and with a lot of common sense. When Scamp died at 17, it was rather weird for the two youngest ones as they have had him for as long as they could remember.

None of us have ever been afraid of dogs, but neither were were brainlessly fearless. Our parents taught us to treat them with a healthy respect, and we were always careful when approaching any new dog. Even my 2 yr old brother never teased our dogs in a cruel manner (ear/tail/fur pulling), and held/walked/carried them in the correct manner.

Of course, that is MY experience, and results may not be the same depending on you and your family

(This post was edited by Sashan on Jan 18, 2010, 2:23 AM)

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 9, 2010, 2:23 AM

Post #7 of 10 (14784 views)
Shortcut

personally dun agree to put kids with dogs..cos children might be careless n the dog will got lost or knocked down by car..eg.forgot to close the door,couldnt handle it outside,simply give them food(like choc) etc.Im not saying tat kids r not responsible but they r jus not old enough..n puppy requires lots of care..children like to play with them becos of their cuteness..later grown edi the dog pee n poo the child say dirty n dun wan d..n when they play with the dogs they can be really roughCrazy..suggest u to get one when the kids r around 10..

trainadog
New User

May 30, 2011, 11:08 PM

Post #8 of 10 (12299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] Dogs and Children? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes kids may want to play with the dog and it could be quite dangerous if you never watch. For example dog does not like other to touch their tail but may be kid think it is fun - the dog may become aggressive! So have to watch out more...check www.dogtrainingmalaysia.com for recommendation of dog training guide before your adopt /buy a dog. Study is very important. Good luck!

AliceStewart
Novice

Jul 18, 2012, 10:34 PM

Post #9 of 10 (10303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trainadog] Dogs and Children? [In reply to] Can't Post

Adults must be capable of teaching their children how to approach dogs, how to recognise when the dog wants to be left alone, and how not to play with the dog.

Having a toddler and a puppy grow up together is certainly oh-so-fluffy - but the dog will become mature much earlier than the toddler. In such a situation, the dog will see the toddler first as littermate, and then as someone he, the dog, needs to test his strength against.

perriejinnie
Novice

Oct 3, 2016, 10:47 PM

Post #10 of 10 (7475 views)
Shortcut

It depends upon the type of breed you want to get for yourself. Pomeranian dogs are considered very friendly and they easily get together with children. If you need any assistance then feel free to visit www.PetsGroomingTips.com where you get free information regarding dogs' care.
Pet Grooming Tips: www.petsgroomingtips.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my