Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Housebreaking or paper training?

ansontee
New User

Jan 13, 2010, 8:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (71054 views)
Shortcut
Housebreaking or paper training? Can't Post

I had a 2.5 months mini schnauzer last few days...my working time is from 8.30am-6.30pm...I normally keep my MS inside my room as my sister very scare of any kind of dog...

I would like to know that which method can i use to toilet train my little MS...housebreaking or paper train? I am able to bring her out early in the morning and any time i bec home from work....any response will be appreciated....

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2010, 11:26 PM

Post #2 of 4 (71046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ansontee] Housebreaking or paper training? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is NO method available. Please be realistic and sensible. A puppy of 10 weeks old, cannot and will not hold its pee&poo for 10 hours.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2010, 11:33 PM

Post #3 of 4 (71044 views)
Shortcut

Housebreak for sure! The problem with training your dog to do its business INSIDE the house is unsanitary & because your puppy is still very young, it needs to do its business at least every one - two hours. Young puppies have small bladders & they don't know how to hold their urine & poop for long periods of time.

I am guessing your sister lives with you? I think she really needs to overcome her fear over your dog so that she can help take care of it when you're at work. Is she at home all the time? If she can't do it, are there any other family members that can? Do you have a balcony? If you do, buy some carpet grass & place it in the balcony where sunlight is. Before you go out, leave your pup in the balcony but make sure the place is 'puppy-proofed' (look it up) & safe.

If you don't have a balcony then I guess you have no other choice but to teach the pup to do its business on pee pads. Always make sure that your puppy is kept in the playpen when you leave it alone unsupervised in your room. NEVER let it roam around freely because the pup WILL chew stuff & may even hurt itself.

Be sure to always bring it out every morning/evening, before & immediately after you come home from work & then as the weeks or months go by, you can slowly wean the dog off from the pee pads like I did with my pups. Once it's old enough, it SHOULD be able to hold for long hours until you bring it out. But let me tell you this, small dogs are DIFFICULT to housebreak compared to bigger dogs & this has been proven many many many times. Just be consistent & patient with it. Also be reminded that, Obedience training starts today.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 13, 2010, 11:48 PM)

JackRussel
Novice

Jul 24, 2012, 6:46 PM

Post #4 of 4 (66176 views)
Shortcut

I use the old newspaper that already has my dog's pee and put it together with some fresh newspapers at the place where she's suppose to pee and leaves it there for her to sniff and she'll generally pee there after.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my