Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Telomian

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2010, 8:43 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7211 views)
Shortcut
Telomian Can't Post

I have had Alsatians in the good old days that is what they were called until in the late 60s when the banana shape appeared then it was changed into GSD. Boxers & Dobe had floppy ears. A Min Pin should walk with a hackney gait. Dalmatians are supposed to be white with black spots or liver but not lemon or tricolour. Hound dog breeds were few except for the Dachshund. Toys such as Pekingese and Poms were the order of the day.

Championship dog shows were held at the Chin Woo Stadium twice a year if you are lucky.

When one has gone through all these yesteryears and titled the breeds shown, enough is enough.

I am now looking for a pair of Telomain. What breed are they? Mongrels/pariah only found in Orang Asli settlements that are deep in the forest where vehicle cannot reach.

I wonder if all the so called pure breed with Pedigree dogs are really so pure? Animal Planet program in Astro 'Breed All About it' will give you an insight of what was mated to what and then again to what in order to derived at the desired breed, then finally got the blessing fron The Kennel Club or The AKC.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 3, 2010, 9:29 AM

Post #2 of 12 (7207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Telomian [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard lots bout Telomian, the Malaysian breed. I am very impressed with them and am also keen to have one of them. Do let me know if you have any leads on them. A friend told me he had one when he was a young boy and the dog has very high prey instincts. He can't seem to contact his orang asli friend to get another dog not too long ago. Will ask again when I see him.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2010, 1:58 AM

Post #3 of 12 (7180 views)
Shortcut

Knotidoc,

What defines a Purebred is that you consistently get desired traits. It takes MANY generations of selective breeding to obtain this.

You breed a Poodle to a Poodle and you know that the resulting offspring will be Poodles... there's no question on size, coat types, etc.

Its not a matter of getting some "blessing" from a Kennel Club. Most of the Purebreds we have today have been established breeds LONG before the Kennel Club or AKC were established.

The dog you mentioned in your post is rare in Malaysia. I think I saw one in KKB last year.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 4, 2010, 2:05 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2010, 5:55 AM

Post #4 of 12 (7164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Telomian [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not a matter of getting some "blessing" from a Kennel Club. Most of the Purebreds we have today have been established breeds LONG before the Kennel Club or AKC were established.

Ah yes, granted your statement is correct, but w/o the blessing and recognition from KC, no matter how pure is the breed it can never be registered and obtained the status as a pedigreed dog let alone being qualified to enter the show ring and be judged. Anyway, I have retired from the show ring and have completely out of touch with championship events and to day I don't need MKA assistance to make a living Sly

BTW being a trainer I am sure u have come across names such as helipoter paul, Amanda&Baderi, Freddy, Francis and Wellington Ho.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2010, 7:05 AM

Post #5 of 12 (7161 views)
Shortcut

Knotidoc,

It's actually the PARENT Clubs that set Breed Standards. Work for DECADES, selectively breeding & culling & keeping meticulous records before they apply to legit Kennel Clubs for recognition. It takes decades - not nine weeks in some person's backyard. lol

PEDIGREE only means "family tree" - Mutts also have Pedigrees...but nobody's bothered to write them down. It's up to you if you don't want MKA's assistance anymore. I am guessing you've shown GSDs a long time ago?

I do know most of the people you've listed in your post. I knew Freddy & Maggie WAY before I became a trainer. I was one of Maggie's students years ago. Helicopter Paul? Never met him before but have heard of him - very "famous". Amanda & Baderi? No idea who they are. Francis? Yes. He's usually the emcee for the dog trials & Wellington Ho has recently split from MKA with his own group of trainers & started his own new dog training school. They're actually just across us from where we're having our classes. Do you know Yap the trainer from Ipoh? I'm sure you do. He's around your age or maybe older.

You know, we should seriously meet up one of these weekends at the training field & just get to know each other a little more & just have a chat. What do you think?

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 4, 2010, 7:08 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2010, 8:00 AM

Post #6 of 12 (7149 views)
Shortcut

Why not, hope to meet you in person one of these days.

FYI Helipoter Paul earned his nickname through his method of training. He actually swing the animal on a leash off the ground round and round airborne when it is stubborn or obstinate. Thats how he earned the reputation known as Helipoter Paul Chong.

Wellington is a very good friend of mine. Baderi was a CC member as the chief trainer in MKA. He has also split from TTDI and is doing extremely well in Ikano. Well those were the days.

Have you heard of the story a president got sacked over falsifying pedigree for himself? and also a CEO caught CBT. Office in TTDI got broken in safe cracked and only thing missing was the account files.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2010, 8:46 AM

Post #7 of 12 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I know everything! Have you heard about Freddie & Tay "Siew Chee" (this is what he is called in the Suara Anjing newsletter which we get ALL THE TIME!) CONFESSING that they stole 50 bags of dog food together when the food was put in their care as OB Manager & accountant at that time? Anyway, both "kaput" already.

The helicopter method you are talking about is NOT supposed to be used to teach a dog anything! It is used when you have a big, strong dog that is handler aggressive & has come after you & you are trying to save your butt, that is it, no more.

I am sure many people will not understand it, many people will think it is cruel, however, what is cruel is a dog trying to kill you because he considers a few simple commands not to his liking & he would rather do what he wants.

The bottom line is that when you are attacked & your life is in danger, you need to DEFEND yourself & if that is one of your options, you take it. It's either that or put the dog to sleep. Once again, the method is NOT to train a dog anything, it is simply a self defense technique to use when you are in danger of being killed by a dog.

A person using that method to correct a dog because it is too playful or too stubborn or because it broke it's stay command needs a gun stuck in their anal cavity to do a little colon exploration. LOL!

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jan 4, 2010, 9:07 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2010, 9:11 AM

Post #8 of 12 (7138 views)
Shortcut

MKA is supposed to be one happy family, the elected officials are supposed to look after the welfare of its members, organising healthy activities and canine related matters to promote pedigreed dogs. Instead of doing what they are supposed to do they are engaged in in house fighting. This came about becoz of one person U known who is fonsi?

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jan 7, 2010, 9:39 PM

Post #9 of 12 (7075 views)
Shortcut

Yes I know Fonseka. Never met him before but have seen him at shows twice & have heard a lot about him too.

Kuyuk_san
Novice

May 2, 2010, 11:53 PM

Post #10 of 12 (6178 views)
Shortcut

where can i go to learn to be a dog trainer ... is there any here in Malaysia?

In Reply To

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 8, 2010, 4:13 AM

Post #11 of 12 (6005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kuyuk_san] Telomian [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are mentioning schools for dog trainers then no there is none in Malaysia. Most trainers here ar self certified after they manage to train their own dogs which means nothing to me. Do email me and I can give you some proper reference if you are really serious about learning to be a trainer. My email is yen@furrenz.com.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

May 9, 2010, 9:15 AM

Post #12 of 12 (5950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kuyuk_san] Telomian [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Kuyuk_san,

Sorry for the very late reply. I didn't see your question until just now!

I believe there are no schools for dog trainers here in Malaysia. You do not need to go to school to learn how to train dogs & you certainly do NOT need to be "certified" to be one. Being "certified" just means you PAID someone to teach you a method or you printed out your own certificate from your computer. It has nothing to do with the ability to train dogs.

Dog training is exactly the same as singing, dancing, art & even mathematics. I feel that a "natural affinity" with dogs, getting in tune with them, understanding where they are coming from, being on the same page as them, is the same as having a flair of writing, a natural ability to sing or dance or paint well or even doing complicated advanced mathematics. It is an inborn ability that you cannot learn in school & no amount of paper "certification" proves that you are good in your chosen field.

An example is, going for singing lessons. I have seen students who go for classes but when they pass with a certificate, they don't sing with feeling although they can probably sing in tune & in time. But mind you, art cannot actually be taught. If you are born tone death or you don't have a natural rhythm in your body, you won't be able to sing or dance no matter how many course you go for & that's the sad truth. And so, I feel it is the same with dog training. You either have it or you don't.

There are many "non-certified" great trainers. In fact there are more non-certified trainers that I would spend a bit of money to learn their techniques. Why? Because they have proven themselves by actually training their dogs for many types of work. I would not be interested in a trainer that has only trained two dogs or who is only into "All Positive" training and/or has not proven their training through competition.

Oh & about "Behaviorists", don't even get me started! A REAL trainer is a Behaviorist & doesn't require the extension on their title. People that know a method (or several methods) but can't train a dog, call themselves "Behaviorists".

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on May 9, 2010, 9:36 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my