How to deal with BYBs?!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Vey
Novice

Aug 10, 2009, 10:24 PM

Post #1 of 56 (5211 views)
Shortcut
How to deal with BYBs?!!! Can't Post

The other day, I went to a breeder's house and to my horror, I was greeted by a very disgusting stench and the howling and barking of dogs. I was getting a little worked up by that time, but when the door opened, an old lady opened the door and my heart literally dropped to the floor. How am I - a 19 year old - able to reprimand a woman as old as my grandmother?

I gave her a weak smile and walk into her house and saw a room with a Maltese and a puppy, another room had a Maltese with 4-6 puppies (one puppy even had poo stuck on it's backside), a cage with about 8 Terrier puppies, another cage with about 6 more Maltese puppies. A sick Chihuahua in a cage stacked on top of the cage of 2 Chihuahuas and a Maltese pup.... When I get to the backyard, I felt like crying, about 8 adult Chihuahuas were kepts in ONE cage, 2 large Golden Retrievers in a cage so small they can't turn around, a German Shepherd and a Golden together in another small cage and a GSD in a big cage alone. There were alot more but I couldn't take looking at the crying dogs anymore and walked to the living room. The lady was very nice and I didn't have the heart to say anything to her, neither did I believe that she would take me seriously...

I left with a heavy heart that day. I told my friend, who is also an avid dog lover and she called MKA, which in turn told her that only SSPCA could help but I've given up hope on SSPCA (KCH). I've lodged many reports and complaints to SSPCA however, the admin always told me that it was none of their business.

If it isn't your business, then, whose business is it?

I want to help the puppies, the dogs. But how? How, when the only Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals doesn't want to help?

But one word to all Kuchingites, please do not support the BYB located at Kota Samarahan. The lady's name is Ann Law Poh Choo. Please!

When the buying stops, the breeding will too.
Do not be fooled that cheap equals good.
Are you willing to live with a dog that may have future health problems because of the environment s/he was brought up in?
Do you really want to spend more money in the future because her/his mother didn't give him enough nutrition?
Can you really ignore the fact that while the puppy is happy with you, her/his mother is still suffering in a cage somewhere?!

Think about it.
Stop supporting BYBs.

From: http://petpawz.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-to-do.html

the best damn princess

pet pawz

honey gliders : sugar gliders in kuching

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 10, 2009, 11:59 PM

Post #2 of 56 (5200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vey] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel sad to hear about those dogs there. Sometimes just feel like spreading a deadly virus there so that they will all die and live happily in heaven than to suffer in that place. Anyway I don't know of ways to help. Maybe you can try contacting the Department of Veterinary Services and see if they can help or not. Another effective way is to publicise it. But who knows what they will do to the dogs there. Maybe write to the papers with evidence saying that SPCA says it is none of their business in handling these cruelty to the dogs.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 12:23 AM

Post #3 of 56 (5198 views)
Shortcut

what yen said is true..... i've had almost similar experience when calling SPCA for help... with all sorts of excuses so that they do not need to get their hands dirty....

Anyways, maybe you can go over again.... use ur phone and take some pictures of the dogs condition... then send it to the papers..... i'm sure SPCA would have to do something by then.....

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 11, 2009, 5:35 AM

Post #4 of 56 (5183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh..they wont do anything..still remember abt the DBKL thingy?till now no news edi..last time i wrote something to SPCA n guess wat..they actually shoot us back..sigh...n their attitudes juz scare ppl off when they go there...

Vey
Novice

Aug 11, 2009, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 56 (5170 views)
Shortcut
Re: How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am planning to go there tomorrow and take pictures of her place and then before I leave, I'll tell her I'll give her one week to improve the conditions of the dogs, if not, then I'll publicize the photos I took.

I really wish that I am able to start an organization like PAWs or FFF. SSPCA can just go hang themselves.

Thx all the replys and suggestions!

the best damn princess

pet pawz

(This post was edited by Vey on Aug 11, 2009, 7:43 PM)

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 7:36 PM

Post #6 of 56 (5168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahahaha... whats new???

In my opinion... SPCA is a self centered organization that revolves amongst themselves only... and not to mention that they are very narrow minded... and are not open to suggestions....

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 11, 2009, 7:41 PM

Post #7 of 56 (5166 views)
Shortcut

er..maybe u can try to tell the woman directly lor..in polite way la..see wat she say...take some photo oso ar..

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 11, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #8 of 56 (5163 views)
Shortcut

neh..the one la..say they simply kill n simply buried one...then got small protest there one..

Vey
Novice

Aug 11, 2009, 7:52 PM

Post #9 of 56 (5156 views)
Shortcut

When I was young, all I wanted was to work for SSPCA. But now seeing how it's being managed by that evil fat f*** I would rather burn the whole place down.

I have MULTIPLE unsatisfactory visits to that godforsaken place.

First time I went there, I became a lifetime member, because only members are allowed to volunteer. She told me that I have to come for courses and she'll call me. Waited for MONTHS, then I went back and asked her about it. You know what she told me? She launched herself into sad stories and told me she's understaffed bla bla bla. So I told her, it's ok, I have dogs and I've had cats before so I know how to take care of the animals and I would really like to help. She told me to come the following week. Next week, I went, at 9am sharp. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT FAT LADY TOLD ME?! She told me this, "Aiyaa.. Why did you come? I already have so many orang gaji. You don't need to come laa."

WTF?!!!!!

So fine, I never went back there again, until last yr, my sch started to collaborate with Breeze mag, and since I'm a MC student, I suggested to my lecturer that we should add a section for animals. He thought it was a great idea so I went ahead and said we should start off with SSPCA.

There's an even longer story here, but end of the day it just boils down to this: The fat f*** rejected publicity.

WHY?

There's no 'talking nicely' with the fat lady. Only when she knew that I was writing for a magazine did she quickly dropped her lousy attitude and talked nicely to me and politely rejected my offer.

the best damn princess

pet pawz

Vey
Novice

Aug 11, 2009, 7:59 PM

Post #10 of 56 (5154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Owh, I thought you meant SSPCA people.

Yea, that's what I'm planning. Planning to go and take pictures first and then when I'm about to go, I'll talk to her... See how it goes.

WISH ME LUCK!! ><

Going tomorrow..!!

the best damn princess

pet pawz

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 8:37 PM

Post #11 of 56 (5143 views)
Shortcut

what makes me mad is these people using the name of a very very very well known NGO just to show people... its like a status for them....

As I've pointed out before... SPCA stands for Society of the PREVENTION of CRUELTY to ANIMALS.... not Society of PICKING up Calls and giving stupid ANSWERS.....

from what you are saying, the condition of the puppy mill is that bad.. therefore the owner is actually doing a cruelty act towards animals....

so whats the excuse? is it because that puppy mill owner is also one of the members of SSPCA?? or is the owner a sponsor to SSPCA????

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Aug 11, 2009, 8:56 PM

Post #12 of 56 (5142 views)
Shortcut

it's not the owner or so... it's the mindset of the whole organisation... look at the spcas in western countries... or look at the one closer to us... australia... they will go right to the end just to save a squirrel from being harmed or get itself in trouble... i'd really encourage you all to watch the animal channel in astro... there are many rescue stories, and their modus operandi is really very very different compared to our country... but that's nothing new right? everytime when they received a complain, they will go to the house/land where the abused or stranded animal is... they will normally go in 2 persons, one is of spca and another one an enforcer... then they will first look at the animal, and if it's as true as what the complain was, they will give the owner 2 options... one is that the owner gives up the animal to them, or they will take him under custody with the charges of animal abuse... in most cases of course, the owners will give up the animals... SPCA FIGHTS TO GET THE ANIMALS TO BE UNDER THEIR CARE... sounds new right? our spca here is TRY NOT TO GIVE US MORE ANIMALS TO TAKE CARE... once the animals are under their care, they will give them all the necessary medical check ups and and nurture them back to health before giving them to potential adopters... in some cases though, the families or the owners of the animals get them back when they appeal... but spca will continue to follow up on the conditions of these animals... in minor cases of neglect, spca will warn the owner to change his/her method of care, and provide a better environment for the animal in terms of space, hygiene and also proper nutrition... a far cry from our beloved malaysia spca right? but i believe the blame can't be placed on our spca alone... spcas from other countries do get full support from their respective governments financially... i doubt that our spca has those kind of resources... but as enforcers, it is their duty to serve and to protect the animals of our country... sadly to say, that didn't happen at all... and when the newspapers reported malaysia is one of the hottest hub for wildlife exporting or transit hub, i do not why i didn't feel surprised at all...

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 9:09 PM

Post #13 of 56 (5137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

actually i dont agree with the saying of our government do not support animal NGO's etc.... for the past 50 years, what has SPCA done to get support from our government? NONE... NOTHING....

From my readings throughout cyberspace, not ONE animal NGO is supported by their respective government at all... and SPCA in other countries are the ones that go all out to change laws, educate the government, etc etc.... and from my point of view, SPCA Malaysia has done nothing at all to promote animal welfare... what have we seen improving from the past 50 yrs??? some small minor changes in the law??? 50 yrs is a very very long time..... and comparing that to the stuffs that SPCA has done..... i think we all know the answer..

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Aug 11, 2009, 10:21 PM

Post #14 of 56 (5133 views)
Shortcut

ya... agree on what you said... our country is a little funny... even political parties do not know how to fight for their people's rights... what can we expect from our NGO'S... the more we discuss about this, the more frustrated we get...

myzanordin
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 10:58 PM

Post #15 of 56 (5128 views)
Shortcut

i know, i know...sikit sikit put to sleep. and yes, charge public for surrendering animal ..then put down the next day (btw, what's the deadline ah??)...but ironically, they did not put down the p.ketam dogs? what different are they from other abandoned dogs and cats..maybe too much publicity kot...cant afford to have bad publicity....

I wonder ! I wonder !....

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 10:59 PM

Post #16 of 56 (5128 views)
Shortcut

u know what... there was a point of time that i wanted to collect all evidence of SPCA Malaysia not doing what they are supposed to do with all their bullshit excuses... then put them in international forums as well as sending it to mass media and not to forget SPCA International.....

However, after thinking about it... its not really worth my time to stoop as low as SPCA Malaysia....

The old hands and sifu's at my factory has a saying.... When they screw us, its actually for our own good and to teach us new things... if they stop to screw us, means they already gave up on us and its time to think back of our actions and buck up... and its what i'm thinking about now... not worth giving opinions and ideas to SPCA Malaysia when they not only do not appreciate our inputs.... but also criticize us back for giving such "STUPID" ideas...

and the 2 stupidest and unworkable idea which was given to SPCA is now being used at Pulau Ketam... so whos having the last laugh???
Sly

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2009, 11:05 PM

Post #17 of 56 (5125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

u know what myza.... we wouldn't even know if they put to sleep or not....

another thing is i do not understand why only p.ketam dogs are placed at a sanctuary.... i thought the policy of SPCA is to euthanize if not enough room.... so y not just put them all to sleep... this is definitely double standard for me...

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Aug 12, 2009, 4:44 AM

Post #18 of 56 (5107 views)
Shortcut

it's out of our control on what they implement to each "batch" of dogs... the pulau ketam is different cause it's all published in the papers... unlike normal cases where by normally it's swept under their own carpets... and i wonder when was the last time they actually cleared it off? Crazy

nphew

Aug 12, 2009, 6:29 PM

Post #19 of 56 (5091 views)
Shortcut

When I adopted a dog from SPCA, I left a small donation for my dog and also asked them to keep the spaying deposit, and pledge to make a small donation every year on the dog's birthday. I was ignorant about how SPCA worked in Malaysia, always thinking that they are on par with their counterpart in other countries. Ironically, it is SPCA's overzealous volunteers on the Pulau Ketam issues that open up my eyes to not support them anymore. They fail to see the point of actually helping the dogs, but more like " my organisation is better than yours" crap.

Vey
Novice

Aug 12, 2009, 6:36 PM

Post #20 of 56 (5089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Same here. Before my encounters with the head of SSPCA Kch, I thought that it was a wonderful organization. I think I've spent more than RM500 there, on donations and adoption fees.

Does anyone know how to start an organization similar to SSPCA? With authorization to fine owners for abusing/neglecting their dogs and also to confiscate their abused/neglected dogs?

the best damn princess

pet pawz

myzanordin
ALPHA

Aug 12, 2009, 11:16 PM

Post #21 of 56 (5073 views)
Shortcut

My fren, even SPCA cant confiscate abused or neglected animals. Only Veterinary Dept. can do that ....

Laws in malaysia is too lenient on animal welfare...even the recent 10K and more jail terms on animal abused, is not approved by Parliament yet...

so sabarlah yer..maybe after wawasan 2020, Malaysia Cemerlang, gemilang terbilang and 1malaysia...

myzanordin
ALPHA

Aug 12, 2009, 11:20 PM

Post #22 of 56 (5072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] How to deal with BYBs?!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

oooppss..that one is a sensitive issue..Tongue. more e-mails will be flying around on that nanti...

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 12, 2009, 11:20 PM

Post #23 of 56 (5072 views)
Shortcut

that is very true.... and this is the reason why i'm getting sick and tired of all their excuses....

nphew: I do not think that SPCA Malaysia thinks that they are at par with other countries... From what i see they think that they are trying their best to be at par with other SPCA's throughout the world. But in reality, SPCA Malaysia is no where near the standard of SPCA in other countries... 50yrs of nothingness is what they have been doing.... giving excuses of Malaysia being a Muslim dominated country is just too immature. if you read thru the history of other SPCA's or watch more discovery channel, every SPCA throughout the world has rough starts... its up to the members on how to overcome these obstacles... giving excuses shows how shallow their thinking is...

vey: It would be very difficult to start an organization that is similar to SPCA.... maybe someone should contact SPCA International tell them of our problems and issues with SPCA Malaysia and ask for their help/opinion.... but first and foremost, we would need to gather all the evidence/information that would be able to back up our claim.... and submit this intel to SPCA International...

From what i've gathered, in U.S. SPCA in whatever state is like the head/chief NGO in charged of animal welfare.... and then there are all these other NGO's which is under SPCA which deals with specific issues/locations. This shows that in U.S. SPCA is very important as well as the backbone of animal welfare. However, here in Malaysia, SPCA Malaysia is like a one man show.... everything also want to do themselves.... why not just focus on education, lobbying of animal rights, prevention of cruelty towards animals and leave the adoption work to other NGOs....

Vey
Novice

Aug 13, 2009, 12:33 AM

Post #24 of 56 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Ok, today I went to the BYB with my friends, took photos and such. Then we went to SSPCA and showed the lady the pictures. She said that she will contact the council as it is really a very sad scene, and asked us to develop the pictures for her. BUT... She said that they will not be able to move too quickly because they must submit for approval.. Bla bla bla.. I'm sure they have some kind of protocol. But comparing THIS with Animal Rescue I used to watch on Animal Planet is two different stories.

One responds ASAP. The other one needs paperwork, meetings and all the crap.

But they are the only organization that we are able to turn to. What other organizations can help? We can only keep our fingers crossed and hope that the SSPCA will do everything in their power.

Other than that, we are planning on spreading the word, get local magazines to raise awareness and put posters up with the pictures taken. Problem is, what if a relative/close friend of the lady that runs the BYB sees these public announcements? The BYB may move and all hope of rescuing the dogs will go down the drain. However, I also think that if we raise awareness and gain supporters, word may get around and BYBs will cease operating. That's all we can do for now.

myzanordin
You are wrong. SPCA can confiscate animals. Check this out:

www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/aspca-in-action/

It's just one out of many examples I can show you.

the best damn princess

pet pawz

khengteik
ALPHA

Aug 13, 2009, 12:52 AM

Post #25 of 56 (5050 views)
Shortcut

definitely need to do meeting and stuff... cos need to check if that particular BYB is SSPCA member or not.... then see if that BYB got give donations to them before or not.... or if this BYB is connected at with any SSPCA members/volunteers/committee members etc....

This is the excuses that i'm talking about.... what is so hard? just get the person to fill in a abuse report... then can straight away go to the BYB already.... y need to wait??

btw, technically, myza is correct... the website that you are looking at is from U.S.... in Malaysia, because of the fact that SPCA Malaysia is doing nuts to promote and lobby animal rights, the only changes that is going to be done after 50 yrs is to increase the fine.... that also already 2 yrs ago story that has yet to be tabled at the parliment...

maybe u should send the pictures to malay mail... or the sun... or the star.... hmmm... mayb thats what SSPCA is wanting you to do... free publicity again...... could really make them look good... hahahaha

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my