Jump

Laikratong
Novice

Jun 18, 2003, 12:16 AM

Post #1 of 15 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Jump Can't Post

Hi evryone,
Really looking on advise to control my dog.
You see, my dog always jumps up at me. This is espeacially true when I am back from work. She will just put her front paws on my pants and get me all dirtied up.

Any of you can tell me, how to stop her from getting so excited??

Thanks in advance!!

Wink
RL

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 18, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Laikratong] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh,
My Trivor also likes to jump on me. Imagine her size... she is going to push me down verysoon Frown
I will squad down to greet her when she jumps on me and tell her "NO jumping". Sometimes she gets too excited and jumps on everything...
In fact, I need help too~

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

bomberZ

Jun 18, 2003, 2:09 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

I suggest giving you doggy the "knee treatment" to cure the jumping issue.

Take this instruction and repeat treatment as needed
  1. Open your house gate enter your house.
  2. Call your doggy to "Come" eg. Boo COME!
  3. As doggy approach u raise and try to jump on u RAISE 1 of your knee up, preferbly the knee that your doggy would hit on and u r still about to balance standing on 1 leg.
  4. As your doggy hit your knee, shout out "OFF" command.
  5. Repeat step 3-4 as needed until doggy stop jumping on u.
  6. Give doggy the "Sit" command, if doggy jump again, repeat step 3-4.
  7. Once doggy is sitted, pat doggy and praise doggy as if he/she is the BEST DOG IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!
  8. Now after patting, proceed to play with doggy for a moment.
  9. U had already past the "I MISS U THE WHOLE DAY" moment, u are cleared to carry on with your own biz.

*for best result, dont praise/pat doggy until doggy is sitted and stop jumping.

IT WORK FOR ME!

wah.. sound like advertisment already.. hahahaha

good luck trying this out... it take me about 2 months to stop the jumping on me issue. Nowaday he jump on strange and i will ask them to give him the "knee treatment" hopefully he will stop jumping and start sitting properly when he is "greeting" somebody.

(This post was edited by bomberZ on Jun 18, 2003, 2:25 AM)

Laikratong
Novice

Jun 18, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bomberZ] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Bomberz,
I will use yer advised. Hopefully it works.
RL

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bomberZ] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

wowww, thanks pal! I'm going to give Trivor "knee treatment" today right after work!!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 30, 2003, 10:38 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2597 views)
Shortcut

Hello there...

sometimes lifting one leg is not good enough. Cos I tried that and my lab grab my leg and scratch it all the way down.

What I did after that was ... I just ignore her when I come back. Meaning ... get down from the car and straight into the house without calling or bothering her. I read this from a book and it really works.

Try it.

Regards,
Swee Eng

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2003, 11:06 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi swee eng,

It might work but how if those live in condo? hehe, no way to hide, the doggie waiting u bside the door then got no way to run, sure kena 1Tongue. Actually i dun mind doggie jump to me, as long as their legs no with their poo-poo, hehe.

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 1, 2003, 12:32 AM

Post #8 of 15 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Derrick,

If you're talking bout staying in the condo with a dog, just walk in straight. Don't call the dog or do anything to attract the dog. Then the dog won't jump on you...

REgards,
Swee Eng

(This post was edited by sweeeng on Jul 1, 2003, 12:40 AM)

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jul 1, 2003, 1:45 AM

Post #9 of 15 (2579 views)
Shortcut

when my dog came to my house, he too jump up to me everytime he sees me. so, after he has learned sit, when he wants to jump, i shouted NO follow by sit. if he sits, treat him and praise. if he keeps on jumping, ignore him and turn away. this will be better if u use clicker in this method. if u don't have the treats when u r just reached home, praise will do. so, later my cocker realised that the "proper way" to great me is sit and wait rather than jump. (although sometimes he still jump but it becomes rare. u just have to repeat the trick from time to time to keep the skill of the dog sharp)

just make sure u give him sometime and be patience ok?

(This post was edited by makrawl on Jul 1, 2003, 1:52 AM)

Kowpa

Jul 17, 2003, 10:37 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi I prefer your way by ignoring the dog if he jumps and praise him when 4 feet on the ground or sit rather than BomberZ using the knee method. Calling the dog to u and knee him when he jumps is cruel cos the dog is happily coming to u when called instead of praising him for coming to u u knee him for being happy. Is this fair to the dog?

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jul 18, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #11 of 15 (2547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

aiya, my friend, the "kneeing" meant by bomberz was not those "kneeing" apply by those Thai boxers. just raise your legs and push against his chest so that he will not get the chance to get near you while he is trying to. so, he realise that this is not the proper way to get near u. actually this is more "conventional" compare to the method that i've mentioned.

but friend, anyway thanks for the support u gave to my point. :)

Kowpa

Jul 19, 2003, 9:07 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

If as u mention that kneeing is not just like the thai boxing knee why not use the thaichi style using the hand to push him away lololo

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jul 20, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #13 of 15 (2525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Jump [In reply to] Can't Post

knee is better as when u use your hands, u will need to bend your back and this give a signal that u r greeting him back. everytime u give "order", u should stand straight. by the way, my cockers are too fast, taichi will not work on themLaugh.

actually when i'm home, i don't even need to call them to me as they r very good in "hunting" me. so, they run over to me and i just order them to sit, when they do, praise and play(sometimes, if i'm not in a rush). jump and ignore my order?! ignore them back. :)

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2516 views)
Shortcut

there is another method to stop your dog from jumping at u i.e evertime he jumps pull him down, use your tumb and press him on the toe
>Thomas<

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #15 of 15 (2364 views)
Shortcut

you're being to kind to her. Why dont you dodge away from your dog when he want 2 jump on you. You are pretty good and lucky bcs your dog can greet you when you come back from work. My puppy doesnt do that.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my