Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Help For Cotton

Cotton
Novice

Mar 11, 2009, 12:32 AM

Post #1 of 19 (2212 views)
Shortcut
Help For Cotton Can't Post

Hi...I recently adopted my first dog, a 3 year old Poodle + Maltese (or at least thats what his groomer guess he is) from Paws. There has absolutely no history on him. However, I've learned by watching his behaviour, that it is fairly certain, he must have been in a very abusive environment.

He is afraid of virtually everything, ie. people, sound, sudden movements, etc. This aspect has not improved, in fact has actually retrogress (if thats possible), he is becoming a hermit, not wanting to leave the front door and has even refused to mixed with other dogs now.

He goes for a walk and poo twice a day because he will eat his poo if done at home. And yet he has not gotten used to being outside but has become more afraid to leave the house.

He has no interest in toys, especially afraid of balls, runs away when it is rolled to him. About the only thing he does, is chew on edible bones, even the thready types, holds no interest to him.

He has been eliminating all over the house except the place where he is supposed to. I guess that is to be expected when he wants attention, but becoming a hermit is not at all normal.

I did not expect that by adopting a dog from the kernel would have such psychological burden (not to mentioned high medical needs), however, i am determined to overcome it. I can and have met all his physical needs but am at odd-end on how to tackle his psychologically deficiencies.

Advise given by many, have all failed to hail good outcomes, in fact worsen the situation, eg. punishing him when he eliminates at the wrong place, now he won't relieve himself when I am at home unless I am asleep. So, he won't go for 8 - 10 hours until I bring him out!

Anyone has any workable suggestions?

(This post was edited by Cotton on Mar 11, 2009, 12:37 AM)

Vey
Novice

Mar 11, 2009, 3:49 AM

Post #2 of 19 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cotton] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

In cases like this I think its best if you do not punish the dog physically. That would only cause it more trauma.. The best thing you can do is perhaps show it more affection and be patient with Cotton.

All the best yea.

xx

the best damn princess

pet pawz

honey gliders : sugar gliders in kuching

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2009, 11:00 PM

Post #3 of 19 (2190 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

first of all, u did a great thing by adopting a dog instead of buying one...

how long has Cotton been with u? with a previously abused dog, u need time and patience n to shower the dog with plenty of love... punishment won't do the dog any good at all but will worsen his fear... positive reinforcement will help the situation...

perhaps u could try to talk to Cheng See, a dog behavourist... she works with the dogs in paws too... she can be reached at 012-258 4315 or sohtoh@streamyx.com...

all the best and do keep us posted on Cotton's progress... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Cotton
Novice

Mar 13, 2009, 4:45 PM

Post #4 of 19 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vey] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Vey.....thanks.....now i realised that the methods by some well-meaning parties has made the situation more grave Unsure ....I am so worried that he will be afraid of me forever now.....I do hope that the damage can still be repaired....

I wonder if there is a place where these abused/rescued dogs can meet? You know, like those AAs (Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings or support group?

Cotton
Novice

Mar 13, 2009, 4:59 PM

Post #5 of 19 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ai_ney.....thank you for your advise and support. I realised my mistake but I am so afraid...could it be too late for Cotton and me? I adopted Cotton in December 2008, so it is about 3 months now...but he seems to be worsening.

Ok....thank you, I will call Ms Cheng See for the right advise.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2009, 10:49 PM

Post #6 of 19 (2151 views)
Shortcut

don't worry abt wat u've done previously... important thing is that now u realise punishment is a no-no... show cotton that he is safe n loved with u... he just needs some time to gain back some confidence, maybe in people in general...

yes, do contact cheng see, she could design a training programme for cotton n u... all the best!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Vey
Novice

Mar 14, 2009, 12:51 AM

Post #7 of 19 (2146 views)
Shortcut

I'm sorry but I can't help you there. Why don't you try asking your vet?

the best damn princess

pet pawz

honey gliders : sugar gliders in kuching

Janz
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2009, 11:46 PM

Post #8 of 19 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Juz wanna know how is cotton doing? did u call up ms cheng see?

Show cotton more attention n luv... talk with ur lower voice n make him/her understand u...

i always talk to my both dogs and they seem to be listenin and get wat i meant...
Frown Regards from Smarty (In Luving Memory) & Maxter Frown

Cotton
Novice

Apr 13, 2009, 11:55 PM

Post #9 of 19 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Janz] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Janz

Ya, i called her but unfortunately, i cant afford the charges Unsure I guess I will just have to accept him as he is.

He is about the same, if not worse (to my opinion).....plus he is very pampered these days haha...my fault i guess but then again, i am not allowed to use forced on him due to his state of mind. I do talk to him but i dont think he understands me....although, I find that teaching him next tricks takes him just a couple of days to grasp it...but may take weeks for him to master it ie. remember it ..thus i think he has problem with memory ie. peeing everywhere when allow to roam the house....

I try every chance I have to get him to socialized, but he does not give any indication of overcoming his fear. He shivers when he goes to a new place, new people and is afraid of one of my friend in particular. He also hates aggressive dogs :(....I take him to Gasing Hill every week for a month now....he seems to enjoy it but still freeze when he sees ppl approaching. And when he watch doggie movie on tv, he will bark really loud otherwise you will almost not hear a sound from him....thats why my neighbours loves him haha....plus he is super cute....they think he is a gal...

I just hope and pray, he will recovery from his phobia(s).....I dont know what else I can do that I haven't already done. For all these, I dont know what I will do without him....he has become so much a part of my life in such a short time.....

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 14, 2009, 12:46 AM

Post #10 of 19 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

How old is cotton? It will take some time before u gain his trust... we dun knw what he had went thru and ended at the pound... He might had been abused or cruelly treated by his previous trusted owner or even by publics (u knw how msian treated stray dogs).. They r juz like humans... If we've been betrayed or cheated by sumone we trusted, will we easily put our trust on others anymore?

As for he's afraid of moving stuffs even his play toys, tht also happened to my Maxter even he's now 3 yrs old already... Maxter is afraid of our drinking bottle (mineral bottle fills wiz water).. My nephew scared him by shaking the bottle n he wil run away n scold the bottle... So what i did was i carry him wiz me n i hold the bottle wiz me... i told him there's nothing to be afraid of n its juz bottle... then he wil snift snift the bottle... after few times of explaining to him, now he's no more afraid of the bottle... hehehe... But there's onli 1 thing tht he wil never overcome it... THUNDER!!!

Im glad to hear tht he's a part of ur life now... at 1st, i was worried u might give up on him and send him away... I dun mean to be rude but there are ppls like tht... tht is y we c a lot of strays out there...

NEVER NEVER give up hope on them... They depend on us to protect them not abondoned them...

Keep us updates on cotton ya... Would love to c his pics too...

U take care ya...

Cotton
Novice

Apr 17, 2009, 12:36 AM

Post #11 of 19 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janz

They say he is already 3 years old. No birthdate, not history at all :( Ya, so sad when you look at him. He stick to me like glue. I try to socialize him as much as I can, and I warn those ppl to go slow with him because of his condition. But a lot of them sympathize and feel sorry for him.

Yes, I know it will take 6 months to 1 year for him to really trust me and I have put all my holiday plans, etc on hold for the time being. Some friends think I am crazy....haha but they have not experienced "it" yet. So, do you think I will give him up?

About the toys...yes, I take the ball to him, let him smell, but he just smell and turn away, not interested at all. So, I bought a ball which can put treats in it, he roll the ball with his nose and watch if the treats come out, then only go and eat it, and if it rolled under a furniture he will not be bothered to pull it out. He just sit and lay down the whole day....I so kesian him. I put the radio on and bone treats, ball for him during the day, but sometimes i see he does not touch a single thing. That is why i take him for extra long walks in the evenings and even go hiking on weekend for the exercise. Aih....but he always get so excited when i come home :)

Yesterday, I found out that he is almost famous....according to my fellow condo occupant, that many ppl mistaken his poodle for Cotton....hahaha....

I have lots of photos and videos of him but how do I post them here?

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 17, 2009, 12:54 AM

Post #12 of 19 (1948 views)
Shortcut

U r a GREAT daddy... Frown To me, no matter they r 10 yrs old or older, they r stil like babies.. My older wan ia already 10 yrs old but i stil treat n talk to him like baby... Wat u done r right!!! As cotton juz start to get attached wiz u, its better tht u put all ur holiday plans on hold... im sure u dun wan to send him to for bording n keep in the cage for the whole day there right? Mayb u can send me cotton pic to me by email janice_sfng@h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m

Cotton
Novice

May 15, 2009, 5:28 PM

Post #13 of 19 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janz

You can catch Cotton's pics on his website http://www.flickr.com/photos/33844798@N03/

Sashan
Enthusiast

May 22, 2009, 5:23 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1846 views)
Shortcut

He's looking good now in the May pics, you can see he looks more confident and happier compared to the previous photos. Glad you have made such a difference in him :)

Cotton
Novice

May 22, 2009, 9:42 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sashan,

Ya...he is ok at home...but he still gets the jitters when it is time to go out for his daily walks :( ...i hope and pray that one day is will gain some confidence back.

Cotton
Novice

May 25, 2009, 8:14 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1802 views)
Shortcut

Hi Guys....

Cotton has been very naughty these days, refusing to eat his dry food....and drives me sick with worry that he will get gastric/tummy ache, especially when he don't drink water too for the whole day. Could it be due to the number of tasty treats i buy for him to occupy his days, canned food once a week & occasionally shares my papayas? What do I do about his stubborness?

Sashan
Enthusiast

May 26, 2009, 2:43 AM

Post #17 of 19 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Change his food maybe? Or mix dry+canned? My dogs prefer rice+meat over dry food to be honest. One of them refuses to eat plain dry food :/

Sashan
Enthusiast

May 26, 2009, 2:47 AM

Post #18 of 19 (1789 views)
Shortcut

But if you give rice he may not want to eat anything else after that except canned food! :p

Cotton
Novice

May 27, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Help For Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sashan,

Ya...dry food is literally tasteless but they are packed with required nutrients. Yes, i do mix caned and dry food sometimes....all these varieties are for his eating pleasure....but i must insist on him taking the dry food to ensure his daily nutrients. In the mornings, I will place his dry food, along with his chewing treats, 2 piece of milk biscuit and a ball fill with treats for his amusement (he refused to play with toys, so this is his only amusement). Sometimes, when i get back he actually did not touch his dry food....so i will leave it for the night...and if he eats, I will reward him with a treat. So, now he sometimes eats once or 1 1/2 portion a day. Oh well, he needs to lose some weight anyways (look at his latest photo on his flickr website) haha...but i do monitor his behaviour, so as long as he is still active, plus he takes nutri-stat, so, i guess it is fine if he misses a meal.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my