Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Puppy Wouldnt Pee In Toilet

amyloves
Novice

Feb 14, 2009, 11:19 PM

Post #1 of 6 (7555 views)
Shortcut
Puppy Wouldnt Pee In Toilet Can't Post

i just got a miniature poodle - Toby few days ago.he's only 6 weeks old and he's pretty alert.

I try to train it to pee in the toilet by putting the tissues i used to wipe his pee in the corner of the toiler.everytime he looks like he's gonna pee or after his nap/food i will take him to the toilet to pee.i stay with him in the toilet for about 5 minutes and he didnt pee.so i figure his bladder is empty and i took him out.the minute he went out he will pee in the living room.i tried to put him in the toilet over and over again but he would rather hold his bladder and pee in the living room.to him the living room is the toilet =.=

i understand that Toby is still young to be train but am i doing something wrong in the process?please advice =)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #2 of 6 (7281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amyloves] Puppy Wouldnt Pee In Toilet [In reply to] Can't Post

when he pee in the living do you make a big fuss, like "OMG!!!" then carry ur pup etc? that would be attention to your pup. if u already did that, you're gonna be spending a tad bit more time reteaching the pup to use the toilet. Reason being, it already wants the attention when it pees in the living room. now u gotta be VERY patient. Number 1 rule...never let ur pup leave the toilet area till they do their business.

when they do it, use the word "toilet" or something to indicate it. then praise and immediately give treat when your pup is done. now my dog would run to the toilet tray when i say "toilet". it's good practise too. this way, when u wanna pick ur dog up to go out or just for a play in the living room, you can guide the dog to use the peepee tray first. that way u can control their play time even more.

the only thing i can see that MIGHT have gone wrong would be what i mentioned above, u making a huge fuss over the mess ur puppy made. avoid that, if mistake is already made, it's too late to do anything. prevent it from happening in the future. also take ur pup out of sight when u clean up the mess to avoid the misunderstanding of "attention".

keep us updated. :D

amyloves
Novice

Mar 22, 2009, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 6 (7247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Puppy Wouldnt Pee In Toilet [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice =)

yeah i guess i gave it abit too much attention while carrying him to the toilet.he's a pretty stubborn dog and i had to put him in the toilet for 20 minutes before he finally gave in and pee.but occasionally he would stay in the toilet and hold his bladder for 20 minutes and pee once i let him out.@.@

but after several weeks of training he's now pooping in the toilet.sumtimes he pee and poo outside the toilet door when the toilet is occupied.but i reckon it's a pretty good improvement for now =)

here's some pictures of Toby
Attachments: 090213_192224.jpg (23.9 KB)
  090304_230912.jpg (38.1 KB)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 22, 2009, 7:26 AM

Post #4 of 6 (7245 views)
Shortcut

hahah adorable and he does have that stubborn look a bit lol

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2009, 7:57 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7224 views)
Shortcut

20 minutes is good already.. My friend while trying to train her dog to pee and poo outside had to stand outside with her dog for 1 hour... Haha.. After that the dog got the message.. Laugh

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 21, 2009, 10:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6818 views)
Shortcut

erm... im not sure my method suits your dog or not...

when i adopt shiro, he's actually not toilet trained... so i have to trained a 5 years old dog... =.='' kind of hard teaching at the age like this... so i think it would be a bit easy for you as your dog is only 6 week old..

once you see his signals... those wanted to pee pee or poo poo signals... immediately make bring toby to the toilet... look at him for a while... if he still haven't pee or poo... then close the door.. let him to be alone in the bathroom for a while... because normally dogs pee or poo when you're not around.. my shiro did that.. =.=''

then peek (not to let him notice you're there o.O) to see whether toby already poo or not... once toby pee or poo.. on the spot... give toby treats or give her some compliment WHILE he's pooing...

if he don't.. then be alert he will find a place to pee... once he pee at a wrong place... must scold him while he's doing his business... a couple of times, he'll learn... o.O

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my