Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Distemper, Parvo, Kennel Cough,...:
Kennel Cough

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2005, 8:46 PM

Post #1 of 13 (22043 views)
Shortcut
Kennel Cough Can't Post

I'm not sure whether this is right?? any expert here plz advise....

recently my dog seems like coughing after bring her out for a Dog Carnival Day....so i suspect it must be kennel cough n my another dog also got infected....

So after searching for more info from the net.... i found out this...

If your dog does develop Kennel Cough symptoms, don’t panic! The way this illness operates is analagous to the common cold that we humans sometimes catch; simply put: it must run its course. There is no magic pill or cure, but there are many ways to treat and ease the symptoms. The goal is to support the body (immune system) while it is healing itself. Antibiotics are NOT indicated (although they are routinely prescribed and used) because this is a virus, not a bacteria. Antibiotic use is actually thought to slow the healing process. Kennel cough generally will be gone in two weeks time or less, with or without antibiotics (but probably faster without).

Adapted from http://www.auntjeni.com/kennel.htm

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 12:56 AM

Post #2 of 13 (21975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

Amanda85

so how r ur dogs now? Im not that good in kennel cough, hope some experts will lighten us up! Smile

Regards,

Yang

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 7:58 AM

Post #3 of 13 (21966 views)
Shortcut

hi amanda,

my pack is having the same problem too. Took them to the vet and the dr gave antibiotics. Most of them recovered except for my old girl. probably due to her age.Frown

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2005, 8:35 PM

Post #4 of 13 (21953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream, leecy] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

initially pacco got cough after d mka dog show....

so i decided 2 bring her 2 d vet d next day.....but luckily d next morning she is ok already.....so didn't bring her 2 d vet....save $$

but then d Boxer start 2 cough....n it sound worst....i've told my uncle about it....but he didn't really bother......so i just try to search around d net.....found out that it can actually cure on its own.....so i just feed d Boxer wit some Vit C n Honey......n he took 3 days 2 heal.....

while my fren's dog also got cough....she bring him 2 d vet....n the bill was RM250!!!!! so damn expensive.....she said that d dr. take 2 x-ray......

don't u think that they are just merely cheating d money......sometime i don't really trust d vet.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2005, 9:46 PM

Post #5 of 13 (21948 views)
Shortcut

Amanda85

Yah, I do know 1 of the famous clinic with few branches, they always charge a very high price & claim lots of things "MUST" or "NECESSARY" to be done & caused the vet bills to be very high! Mad

Regards,

Yang

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 26, 2005, 3:25 AM

Post #6 of 13 (21940 views)
Shortcut

well..i dunno ler..some vet will take tests to confirm the illness. some they just assume..Crazy

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

misosangwoo
Novice

Oct 7, 2006, 7:57 PM

Post #7 of 13 (21103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

my dog had chronic cough for so long.. i thought it was nothing until he coughed out some blood..

so brought him to the vet and the vet said it was most prob kennel cough, but he didn't do any tests to confirm...

he gave my dog antibiotics(cephalaxin) and some immune system booster and cough medicine. after finishing the course my dog did stop coughing for about 2 weeks plus but now he's starting to cough again, although not as freequent, but still has the unproductive cough and gagging at the end..

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 8, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #8 of 13 (21099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [misosangwoo] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

Got try Amanda85's cure or not? Honey and Vit C?

Maybe 川贝枇杷膏 will also do the trick?

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2006, 10:06 AM

Post #9 of 13 (21094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [misosangwoo] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

Avoid stuffy place & smokers. Amanda85 Pacco experience this after been to this place. Maybe that causes your dog condition returning.

She more experience in this kennel cough. She might able to help you.

Sorry can't help. As I never experience this problem before. Blush

XiiaoAnna
New User

Nov 11, 2007, 6:02 PM

Post #10 of 13 (20505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

hiie amanda ~~~ my 2 min. schanuzers are havin kennel cough too ~~~ bought them to d vet n d vet gave them antibiotics too... er... but... they r stil coughin ... m interested to try ur honey + vit C remedy... can explain a bit how to make tat ??? hehez ...

thanks alot ~~~

OmgPuppy!

Aug 4, 2008, 7:45 AM

Post #11 of 13 (17510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [XiiaoAnna] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

Kennel cough is also known as Parainfluenza. Normal coughing is not considered as kennel cough. My pup was having some cough today, so i brought him to the vet. And the vet gave him some Antibiotic. And he told me that kennel cough could be a decease that will take ur doggie's life. he said there was a case where a dog were put to sleep due to kennel cough. And nvr feed ur dog with honey when they're having cough. cuz honey is high in sugar and can easily cause diabetis. My 2 cents

Dead Game and Tryin' to Scratch...
Give me victory or give me death,
I will make history and gain your respect.
Take my lesson, or take my life,
Triumph is blemished in the absence of strife.
I have great pride, for I am unequaled.
Win, lose, or tie, there won't be a sequal.
Its unexplainable and seldom viable,
but I am dead game and thats undeniable...

calvin5777
Novice

Dec 15, 2008, 2:34 AM

Post #12 of 13 (13270 views)
Shortcut

hi everybody , i`m so scare after read alot news from this forum , my husky just brought from pet shop last week , starting she was get flu and now she look`s recover already after the doctor give her some medicine and vaccine . but now she stil coughing .. sometimes she will spit out some water like "air liur" .. wat shud i do to her now ? so scare tat the virus tat all ppl say .... Frown

everyone can send me a mail calvinscl@hotmail.com

P/S : she not yet get 2nd vaccination . now 3 month old ade .... sigh Frown

Giftbearer
New User

Jan 9, 2009, 8:05 PM

Post #13 of 13 (12671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [calvin5777] Kennel Cough [In reply to] Can't Post

If your dog isn't getting better with the current treatment you might want to have your vet do a Brush Border smear of the cells in the bladder to check for possible Distemper. Sometimes other tests are not conclusive and it can go undiagnosed.

My dog, Carmella had Distemper which was thought to be kennel cough at first but she was not responding to meds and getting steadily worse and her antibody tests were iffy until she had several smears done in seperate areas.

I found out about a very rare treatment involving the off-label use of Newcastle Disease Virus vaccine developed by a vet by the name of Also Sears who used to practice in California before retiring to Utah. He gives out his e-mail still in order to help direct people's local vets ohn how to use his discovery.

It is brilliant although he has not been able to find a journal to publish it. My dog had a miraculous recovery. My vet was somewhat skeptical at first but he figured since she might die if we kept doing just the supportive care we had nothing to lose by trying it. After just 2 days of having the first part my vet and his staff were really amazed and my vet and the one who did the second part of the treatment now may write a paper on Carmella as a case history. She is the first dog now in the US to be cured of both the body symptoms and neuro symptoms.

Dr. Sears' e-mail if you would like to get exact instructions for your vet to use is AntiDistemper@aol.com

Since Carmella was cured there has now been a Boston Terrier who has also had the treatment and has had a successful outcome.

Hope this helps.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my