Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
dog whining and howling

KIMICHONG
Novice

Jan 5, 2009, 10:47 PM

Post #1 of 6 (11983 views)
Shortcut
dog whining and howling Can't Post

please help me....currently my 1 year old dobe keeps whinning and howling at night.As i was living in a double storey house,my dobe whining and howling is disturbing all my neighbours in the wee hours (2am and 4 am).My dobe actually got hip problem and he was consulting the doctor for almost a month.At first we thought he was in pain everytime he try to wake up after a long hour sleeping on the floor but when i tried to attract him with his favourite toy,he can wake up quite fast and no painfull sound created (a bit lameless for rear hip)...he got no problem for a walk and even playing with his favourite balls...the problem of the hip only can be seen after a long period sitting on the floor and he stand up..He will create a great volume whining and comes with the howling at backwards.This happened for a month and the volume increase every night...somemore my dobe is very choosy on food.I'm now giving him EUKANUBA lamb and rice..but he still don want to eat.I've changed 4 types of brand food for him.He will only take the food after i mix it with 2 spoon of can food and a bit water.I try to starve him for 3 days...at first he eat the food but later he only takes 1 full bowl in 2 days.Please help me!!!!!!.....sometimes I'm thinking to abandone him at SPCA but when i tot for awhile...its actually my responsibilities to teach him...but i'm lost!...please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UnsureFrown

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2009, 1:11 AM

Post #2 of 6 (11966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KIMICHONG] dog whining and howling [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

first and foremost, NO, u must not abandon ur dog... be a responsible owner and work with ur dog to help him with his behaviour problems...

do a research on the internet on possibilities why ur dog is whining at night... does he want ur attention? is he getting enough exercise in the day? there are tonnes of information u can find on the world wide web these days... make full use of it! Cool

if it's a behaviour problem, there are animal behaviourists who can help ur dog in correcting it... if u need a contact, let me know...

at the same time, research also on hip problems in dogs n how u can help him lead a more comfortable life...

eukanuba may not be the best kibble brand around... some dogs are choosy with food, but most will eat after being starved for 2 days... feeding a dog is trial and error, and again, doing some research would help u a lot to understand about the situation at hand... Wink

lastly, do not ever give up on ur dog... u r the one who chose him, not the other way around... he only has u... always remember that...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009, 3:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (11962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] dog whining and howling [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like he is howling because his hip bothers him when he gets up after lying down for a long time. What does the vet say about his hip problem?

Maybe you could make him move a bit more, like play/walk him before you sleep, then when you wake up so he doesnt lie down for too long.

KIMICHONG
Novice

Jan 7, 2009, 6:35 PM

Post #4 of 6 (11947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] dog whining and howling [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for the support and i realy need the contact number of the animal behaviourist....i'm really lost.....actually i got bring him to walk and exercise 5 days a week for an hour (currently i'm pregnant 8 months)....but my dobe still howling and whining at night.My dog is really demanding....when he is 7 months old i've try to starve him for 3 days bec he kinda very very choosy on food....i put toys and food on the floor but he end up choosing the toys rather than the food.......sigh~~~~....i'm planing to take him to the vet for XRAY and my vet says if necessery my dobe need to eat special food for joint probelm.(been try on rottweiler b4)Now i have to buy the synoquin which cost rm285 1 bottle for him to eat bec the currently tablets i gave him i don see any improvement.My baby soon will come into this world and i need $$ for backup....but my dobe cost me a lot of $$$............actually my vet told me my dobe actually is not big problem,is just need to find out why he howling and whining.(my vet is Dr Lai Chong hand's n paws)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2009, 6:45 PM

Post #5 of 6 (11942 views)
Shortcut

it's good that u want to look for ways to help ur dog, instead of taking the easy way out, which many people are resorting to nowadays...

the animal behaviourist is Cheng See, 012-258 4315, sohtoh@streamyx.com... i've met her once and am sure she could design a training program for u and ur dog...

all the best and do keep us posted on the progress... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2009, 8:02 PM

Post #6 of 6 (11934 views)
Shortcut

yes Cheng see is very good. She should be able to give you a solution. Dr Lai Chong sometimes i feel he is lack of experience in certain fields. Anyway let's see what Cheng See says and we can work further from there.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my