WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~

Striker-X
Novice

Nov 19, 2008, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 12 (10162 views)
Shortcut
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ Can't Post

HI, TO ALL K9 LOVERS ;

OK, My name is Bryant. My family n i just shift to new house. We built a dog house during renovation cos our house is a corner lot.

We got a Rottie name Evo 1 month ago from a breeder. The 1st week was HORRIBLE with lots of crying & howling in the middle of the nite. This was cos he poo'ed n pee'ed or maybe cos he was lonely. So i wake up to clean up the mess.

Then 1 week later, after discussing with my dad, we decided to get another Rottie name Kaiser to accompany Evo. The crying STOP.

However, another NIGHTMARE arise. Every morning when i wake up to feed them, i will b WELCOME with LOTS & LOTS of POO/PEE everywhere in the dog house. Believe me the scenario is BAD !

I don't mind cleaning. BUT we plan to let them out in the garden/compound in the nite in the near future to GUARD our house.

This is where my PROBLEM is. I cant seem to train them to POO/PEE at a SPECIFIC SPOT.

Newspaper? Forget about it. Tear into pieces.
Toilet training drops? Useless & wont work.

I even bought those dog repellant crap to avoid discourage them from going to certain location in the garden to bite the plants. Which also didnt work !

Playpen? Ya, this is the only thing that i bought which have "some" result.

I normally put them in the playpen once i let them out from their house in the morning n evening. Sometimes they poo/pee, sometimes they don't. I put them in after meals. WAIT & WAIT still nothing. They can hold it for hours. So i will eventually give up n let them out to play awhile. Within minits their out from the playpen, they start "shooting" everywhere in the garden.

REALLY HEADACHE~~

The playpen is place at a spot where it is easy 4 me to clean, with a combination of tiles & grass. Yes, i`m willing to sacrifice a small part of the grass. If that is what it takes to train them. But they seem to dig n spoilt the grass instead of poo/pee on it.

I would very much like to have them roam freely in the garden instead of caging them in their house most of the time. But i`m worried about the carpet grass & plants. Thats all.

Which is why i would really APPRECIATE any feedbacks/workable tips from all u K9 lovers on how to solve my PROBLEM, especially on how to train them to "go" to that specific spot to poo/pee. I`m a TRUE K9 lover.

Thanks~~~

P/S : I've Quit my job to dedicate my full attention to my Rotties for at least 1st few months of their life for training purposes & health issues.

(Rotties Rocks)
~~ROTTIE's ROCKS~~

Striker-X
Novice

Nov 20, 2008, 7:18 PM

Post #2 of 12 (10143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Striker-X] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody willing help?? Nobody got any idea??
~~ROTTIE's ROCKS~~

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Jan 1, 2009, 1:28 AM

Post #3 of 12 (10065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Striker-X] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Striker-X

I used to have the exact same problem with my two boys. The girls are all great, but the boys seem to not get the hang of going outside...

Don't worry, you are not doing anything wrong in that sense, but perhaps you could be more encouraging. Although I was never a big fan of giving treats, with my boys I had to... I started by scolding them whenever they sneaked INSIDE the house to do their business (that wasn't much a nice sight either) and whenever they did it outside, I'd give them a treat. As long as it was outside, they received a treat. Slowly, I would only give them a treat if they went to a specific corner. Now, no problems whatsoever. I let them all out in the mornings (cos they sleep with us in the room) and they all run to their allocated spots afterwhich it's a kinderspiel for me to clean up.

I don't know if that would work with you cos rotis tend to be really mischievious and are super smart dogs...

Good luck either way!!

(PS: I find it admirable that you can take time off work to train your dogs!! Good on you!!)

Striker-X
Novice

Jan 1, 2009, 8:04 PM

Post #4 of 12 (10049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Peenut] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks 4 the advise. I've been trying to train them to the specific spot. Still the same la. Sometimes work, sometimes don't. N if left alone all to themselves, confirm will terrorise the whole garden...lol....

Thanks 4 the compliment too. I just hope to provide whats best 4 them that all. Good to hear that u have success with your dogs.
~~ROTTIE's ROCKS~~

Peenut
Dog Kichi

Jan 2, 2009, 10:29 PM

Post #5 of 12 (10033 views)
Shortcut

Hey, don't let your head hang...

Initially it wasn't easy for my husband and me either...

Another thing that might help is to socialize your puppies with other dogs... We did that with our 5 (!! and they are all big) and now they have learned their ranks and learned to be (more) obedient to the alpha(s)...

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 5, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #6 of 12 (9991 views)
Shortcut

maybe they are not getting your message unfortunately. some times they will, sometimes they won't. what u might wanna do, is catch their toilet times. if it's almost time, keep them in a specific area that u want them to do business. this is hard, i know, but it's your best bet to getting them to understand. keep them there till they do their business. no business, no exit. once they do their business, praise them with treats play time or whatever they deem worthy.

be very patient with them. having one dog is a handful, but having to train 2 simultenously could be tedious, but it can work to your advantage. usually if one does it right, the other will follow. but if one does it wrong, the other might follow too

phurryice
Novice

Mar 15, 2009, 3:01 AM

Post #7 of 12 (9240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a rottie mix gsd puppy called Nikki and she does the same thing with striker x's puppies do. sometimes she pee and poop at the right place, sometimes she doesn't. i have also tried all the spray thingy, newspaper it all doesn't work or gets torn to smithereens.

thing is, i am a student and i cannot afford to watch her around the clock, and neither can i have the luxury of keeping Nikki in the house.

i really care for Nikki but she is getting out of hand. the moment i leave her alone she pees right in front of the main door or worst she sneaks in just to pee inside. outside, she will soil the entire compound!

i really could use some advise based on my current situation as well :(

thanks

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 15, 2009, 5:43 AM

Post #8 of 12 (9233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phurryice] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

well there are many reasons for this. here is from my experience. Don't use the spray. i've seen quite a lot of people having the spray backfire than help. some dogs just dislikes it. there are many reasons they might dislike it, maybe it contains urine smell and might be perceived as another dog's territory, or maybe they just feel the pad is used and it's dirty.

newspaper doesn't work for all dogs, some will just take it as a play thing and have fun with it. try without the paper, or try with urine pads those specially made to absorb urine.

one more reason for your pup to mess all over is because u have a huge place for her to run in, so she perceives it as her whole play and toilet place. she hasn't 100% learnt where exactly is ok for toilet. this can easily be seen, if she doesn't pee at her sleeping place. if she doesn't then she knows that is her sleeping quaters and a nono place for soiling which is good. try minimizing her roaming area for a while and see if that improves.

another reason for her to mess the place up is...because she gets ur attention, ie. u cleaning her poop and urine up. may it be scolding or grumbling, u still gave her attention, and if not mistaken, she sees u cleaning up her mess doesn't she? that's more than enough fuss a puppy can ask for. try putting her somewhere that she is unable to see u when u clean up her mess. see if there will be any improvement.

one more reason, which is the same reason my maltese poops RIGHT in front of the tray, not inside, but JUST infront....is throwing a tantrum. Usually happens after I scold or punished him, or when he misses his daily walk. he'll purposely just poop right in front of the tray to show his dissatisfaction. it's very very obvious. he never does it any other time. he's 100% in the tray always.

phurryice
Novice

Mar 17, 2009, 12:13 AM

Post #9 of 12 (9206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

yes she knows exactly where to sleep, which is on the blanket I provide her, on the deck chair. in fact when I clean her mess she seems delighted at the sight! she isn't afraid of water so she'll be on my feet bugging me. i guess i can keep her away while I clean :P

i've been keeping her on the leash chained to the pillar, but with ample length of the chain to roam around a small area and surprisingly she's pooped lesser as compared to being free to run around.

is this alright? should I keep her leashed until im certain she will not poop anywhere else besides where she has been for the entire time being leashed?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 17, 2009, 12:19 AM

Post #10 of 12 (9201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phurryice] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!! ADVISE NEEDED~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

well most people would go against chaining ur dog, especially the whole day. the sun, heat etc kinda makes the dog suffer. i'd suggest a play pen so fine to a small area. seems less "cruel". what i usually do with a chain or a muffler is for punishment. but if it works in your case, u can use that method, but avoid using it as long term solution. what ur dog is learning now is that, the small confined area of the length of the chain, is it's home. so being the same length as the sleeping area, your pup needs to plan properly where to correctly do the business. it works in a certain way as a chain would. if u can find a play pen that would be great too. more comfortable for your dog.

phurryice
Novice

Mar 17, 2009, 12:29 AM

Post #11 of 12 (9199 views)
Shortcut

i really dont want to leash her but so far only this has worked. she isn't exposed to the rain or heat. i have considered a playpen but her nature of tearing down things ( she's getting quite big, and FAST) does not convince me that it will be able to hold her in.

but, a friend has offered me to buy her unused playpen so i will give it a try. or else it's back to the chain :(

thank you for your kind concern :) reallyy appreciate it!

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 17, 2009, 12:32 AM

Post #12 of 12 (9196 views)
Shortcut

np! and good luck. keeps us updated. if it's any consolation, i've seen worst...urs is considered normal...seriously :D

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my