First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

butthead012
Novice

Nov 10, 2008, 8:33 AM

Post #1 of 55 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm new to dogs and just recently thought of getting a rottweiler. Will train it to be a guard dog for my house. The thing is I never had a dog before hope you guys can help me here, so I need advise for the following:-

1. How much did you pay for your rotti? with cert? Do you care?
2. You prefer male or female? Why? Any advantages?
3. How much exercise does a rotti need? Everyday park walk? or just small walk in my house garden is enough?
4. How much do training cost? like obedient / guard dog training?
5. How much do you spend on your rotti? for food, vet, toys, accessories, etc, Please tell me the average of your monthly cost.
6. How do you dispose their "poo" ??? To the drain? Bury them? or how? Want to know cos no experience

Thanks in advance and I really need your advise and help before I really get one.

(This post was edited by butthead012 on Nov 10, 2008, 8:38 AM)

junior81

Nov 10, 2008, 7:24 PM

Post #2 of 55 (4329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [butthead012] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

why u think of rott dog?

why not doberman, gsd?

butthead012
Novice

Nov 11, 2008, 1:21 AM

Post #3 of 55 (4323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junior81] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought of Rotti and GSD but decided to get Rotti because of shedding ... You have a rotti or any dogs? maybe you can advise me?

junior81

Nov 11, 2008, 2:48 AM

Post #4 of 55 (4317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [butthead012] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

hm ya i have a puppy rott 8 months plus and one jrt one and half year...

i am not expert and i am also at learning process whereby sometimes searching info on net and sharing opinion with all the members here....

normally is safe by purchasing a rott puppy with cert since u may knw its generation, where its from...and in terms of choosing a puppy normally ppl will choose big head, round head, big bones. more macho mar when grow up....

btw, there is some rott puppy for sales in puppy.com and is nice structure by looking at it...u can try to call the owner.....

u can search at the puppy for sales forum...

since it is the first time u wanna breed dog, why not u start from a small dogs?

butthead012
Novice

Nov 11, 2008, 3:53 AM

Post #5 of 55 (4315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junior81] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

I like big dogs especially guard dogs... I don't like small dogs, because I want dogs that can be kept outside when they are adults...

This weekend I'll be going to a breeders place and hopefully I can learn more from there... I really wanna know the price and how the dog looks like when it is adult. I also going to compare the GSD vs Rotti there, see which one is better~ hehe...

Anyway, your rotti got cert? local breed? how much do you normally spend for your rotti? food + accessories + vet??? I need to figure out the budget first. Hope you can help.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 11, 2008, 5:21 AM

Post #6 of 55 (4312 views)
Shortcut

First and foremost, there is a very large difference between a guard dog and watch dog. You have stated this is your first dog go for a female a very likely chance you may not be able to handle a male. If you are looking for breeder make sure they have only one breed of dog to offer, if they have more well.... they maybe a dog trader or millers. Have fun looking for one.

junior81

Nov 11, 2008, 6:58 PM

Post #7 of 55 (4287 views)
Shortcut

hm..ya it is with cert....

my rott since puppy already keep outside...i dun like dogs to be in my house...

mine rott is local breed but his grandfather is from yugoslavia...

i think nowadays rott here are mostly local breed...

food..around RM160+..last for 3 to 4 weeks.....

acceseries not much..toys...chain..leash....dog bowl...less than rm100 and its last...it it is not spoil.....

vet....3 times injection since puppy each times rm40+..

heardguard..rm70 for per packet...one tablets per months...i forget how many tablets it has in one packet..but only feed him after 6 months...

i dun send for grooming...i bath myself...and i dun cut his fur...short coat mar..

supplements..depends on what u want..glugosame or multivitamin...

actually not much lor..after finish all injection every month u folk out rm200+ should be enuff to maintain......

training not included lar...

rott is much more a ruff dog and you dun neglect its strengh.....if it is ur first time and u insists want to go for big guard dogs...why not golden retreiver...lab dog....or gsd....

butthead012
Novice

Nov 11, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #8 of 55 (4283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'll check a kennel this weekend hopefully it will turn out to be a good one...

butthead012
Novice

Nov 11, 2008, 7:48 PM

Post #9 of 55 (4282 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Junior on the update on the expenses for a month for food and stuff for a rotti...

I think Rm100-200 is reasonable, I'm gonna get my rottie the average food... I still don't know how much they cost so I'll check them out this weekend too.

As for getting a male or female, I think I'll get a female as from your advise and PSYs.... I'll keep u guys updated after the visit to kennels this weekend

boobee2005
Novice

Nov 12, 2008, 8:23 PM

Post #10 of 55 (4241 views)
Shortcut

Dear Butthead012,

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T BUY A ROTTWEILER YET. Ok, calming down...LOL please don't get a rottie if this is your 1st dog, as a rottie is a VERY strong dog in size, strength, character and determination.

Please find out all you can on the breed before you make the mistake of buying one and finding out that you cannot handle it and end up locking it up all day & night or worse, turning it into a ferocious dog that even your family cannot handle.

I'm not discouraging you from getting one but for a 1st timer, it is a difficult dog to handle as it is very strong-willed and very powerful but very lovable with the right owner & environment. It is not for you if you have small chidren and if you have little time to train your dog.

I LOVE rotties and I want the best for this breed and their owners as there has been a lot of bad press on this breed. This breed was on the verge of being banned in this country due to irresponsible and ignorant people.

This is my impassioned plea to you and all would-be rottie owners :- Please, if you are serious of wanting to own one, I would suggest you research on www.rottweiler.net for invaluable advice.

Thank you

butthead012
Novice

Nov 12, 2008, 8:36 PM

Post #11 of 55 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boobee2005] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey thanks for your advise, I know this rottie is harder to handle and its big. I've done research on the net and trying to get advise before really get one. That's why this thread is here for...

This weekend I'll be going to a breeder to have a look at the pups and adults to see whether they are suitable.

boobee2005
Novice

Nov 12, 2008, 8:53 PM

Post #12 of 55 (4232 views)
Shortcut

Good for you! At least you're one of very few people bothered enough to do research but you're never really 'done' with research as it is ever on-going with new info/insights into the breed. Do go into the recommended site - it's eye-opening AND addictive.

ROTTIES FOR EVER...

REGARDS from a rottieholic...!Wink

butthead012
Novice

Nov 12, 2008, 11:01 PM

Post #13 of 55 (4224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boobee2005] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done all the searches for Rottie online, quite useful and I think I need to know more about the real dog itself. Reading from the internet is just not as good as seeing the real Rottie Sly

Anyway thanks for your advise to check through internet... I really need someone who can answer my questions on the first post. hehe Frown

boobee2005
Novice

Nov 13, 2008, 2:15 AM

Post #14 of 55 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Sorry can't help myself... you got to read this before you make your final decision.. I promise you this will be my last caution...! You see, I worry coz you've never had a dog in your life before and you're getting a ROTTWEILER!!Shocked

Why the Rottweiler is NOT for everyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is wonderful news coming from the AKC office in North Carolina. Rottweiler registration numbers have dropped through the floor. This is fantastic, as this is not a breed for everyone, and hopefully in the near future, ownership will dwindle down to those who really know and appreciate the Rottweiler and understand the responsibilities of owning one.

Let's look at the breed standard (ARC/AKC) . Underlining or bold in the middle of the statements is my own emphasis.

As you read through this, count how many times you see the word "powerful."

In general description, the AKC standard states:

Quote:
The ideal Rottweiler is a medium large, robust and powerful dog .... His compact and substantial build denotes great strength, agility and endurance

Let's start here. What words do you see above? Robust, powerful, great strength, agility and endurance. Does this sound like a breed of dog who is happy being a couch potato? A dog built for strength and agility most likely has the temperament and energy to go with those traits and needs to expend them. They are not meant to sit around and do nothing all week, and then go out and be "weekend warriors."

Quote:
His bone and muscle mass must be sufficient to balance his frame, giving a compact and very powerful appearance.

A medium large dog who is very powerful. This is NOT a dog to be left alone with children unattended. This is NOT a dog to be walked by the weak or infirm without substantial training. This is NOT a dog to be owned by the person who doesn't have the MENTAL strength and stamina to deal with their dog's phyiscal prowess.

Quote:
Expression is noble, alert, and self-assured.

Self-assured. Many many people are not self-confident or self-secure. They are wishy-washy in decision making (if they can make one on their own at all), and in being so, are unclear in their motives and intent to those around them. Such a person should NOT own a self-assured dog. A self-assured dog is going to take severe advantage over the unconfident person. This may well lead to dominance issues and potential bites in the home. If you are not able to be strong of mind and conviction, the Rottweiler is NOT for you.

Quote:
Neck--Powerful, well muscled

"Help my dog pulls." How many times have we read this??? The dog was originally bred to pull carts. What was that word? PULL carts. In order to do so, he must therefore have the correspondingly correct build of neck, shoulder and forequarters. A strong, well-muscled neck is built for pulling. Of course your Rottweiler is going to pull on leash, unless you put in some extensive training. If you don't like a dog who pulls on leash, a Rottweiler is NOT for you.

Quote:
Forequarters -- Legs are strongly developed ... Pasterns are strong, springy

Quote:
Hindquarters Upper thigh is fairly long, very broad and well muscled. .... Lower thigh is long, broad and powerful, with extensive muscling leading into a strong hock joint.

"My puppy is jumping on everybody." Well of course! That is what they are built to do: jump. And going back to the original line of the standard: His compact and substantial build denotes great strength, agility and endurance. A dog built for agility is a dog who is built to move, in many directions (seemingly at once!). It takes a lot of time and training to have a well-behaved Rottweiler. If you want an inherrantly more calm, less active dog (who will require less time out of your schedule), please consider another breed.

Quote:
Gait -- The Rottweiler is a trotter. His movement should be balanced, harmonious, sure, powerful and unhindered, with strong forereach and a powerful rear drive. The motion is effortless, efficient, and ground-covering.

Rottweilers are powerful, efficient movers. As such, they need a lot of exercise each day. EVERY day. Rain, snow, fight with your spouse, bad day at the office.....YOU have a commitmant to your dog. If you want a strong, active, intelligent dog, be SURE you understand what such ownership entails.

Quote:
Temperament -- He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.

A dog who is intelligent, and has a strong willingness to work is NOT a dog who is or should be made into, a couch potato. It is a dog who needs constant training, a job, attention, and strong, clear guidance.

"My dog is destroying my house." "My puppy chases the kids/cats/whatever." We see this ALL of the time....daily. Well guess what? It's an intelligent breed, bred to work. If you do not mentally and physically exercise your dog EVERY day, destructive behaviors are going to be seen, and should be expected. A dog who is bred to be a willing worker is a dog with prey drive. Prey drive is the desire to chase/catch (and kill) prey. So yes, puppies and untrained dogs are going to chase moving objects. It takes a commitment to TRAINING to work through this.

Exercising a dog does not mean dragging it along to your kids' soccer games / football games / rugby matches. It means taking the dog out, one on one, and giving the dog some focused time to exercise. During this time, training should also be occuring in the form of obedience work. DAILY. Not when it's convenient, when the temperature is above 30 and sunny, when it's not raining, when you finally have "a free moment." DAILY. A scheduled part of your activity. And not while you're chasing kids around the park. FOCUSED on the dog.

There is more to a Rottweiler than "how it looks," and when considering ownership of such a noble dog, one needs to be HONEST about one's time availability, mental tenacity, interest and ability to maintain training and exercise schedules, and most importantly: what the breed is SUPPOSED to be.

If you do not want an active, strong dog, who is built to pull, likes to jump and run, needs DAILY exercise, REGULAR training and who WILL question your authority at times, PLEASE do NOT get a Rottweiler.

If you do not have time to attend a training class, if you do not have time to read through books on canine behavior and learning, if there is not a decent training facility near to you, PLEASE do NOT get a Rottweiler.

There are hundreds of other breeds out there who offer you what you like: docked tail, black/tan coloring, short coat, non-upright ears, big head. If you want a dog who "loves everybody," the Rottweiler is not for you. If you can't handle a dog who challenges you, or who doesn't get along with every new dog, or every new person, PLEASE do not get a Rottweiler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by BostonRott; 04-14-2006 at 10:34 PM.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 13, 2008, 4:24 AM

Post #15 of 55 (4205 views)
Shortcut

A very informative posting and what I am about to post is not encouraging butthead012 to get so please butthead012 think about this very careful as there are numerous valid points here.

What has been posted is like speculators in the share market only talk about how much they have made and not how much they have lost so in short you are just pointing out the bad points of Rotties what about the plus points? I do not like Rotties but I strongly believe alot is in the breeding so buying from a reputable breeder is very important.

butthead012
Novice

Nov 13, 2008, 6:15 AM

Post #16 of 55 (4198 views)
Shortcut

@boobee2005

Thanks dude for the information, I think I know what a Rottie is and how strong it is. Sufficient exercise will be needed of course, not only for Rottie other dogs need exercise too so it doesn't really bother me. If I'm gonna get a dog I'll bring it to exercise anyway so I'm ready.

Training will be given for sure, as mentioned I'm first time dog owner do not know anything about training so I'll bring it to training. The breeder I'm visiting this weekend offers dogs training as well, that's why I'm going to take a look this Saturday.

Boobee2005, do not worry too much... I'm not saying that I'll get it now I'm getting advise and information about rotties so I have an idea whether to get or not.
Anyway thanks for your cautions and I'll update again after the visit to the breeder this Saturday~

All I wanted to know at first is what I posted in post 1. Information like you posted is everywhere on the net, I just need to get answers like budget/cost, lifestyle and temparement or real life experiences for rotties not how powerful they are I can witness this Saturday how powerful and how they react and so on. I think the breeder will answer all my questions.... Lastly thanks for your info Wink

butthead012
Novice

Nov 13, 2008, 6:20 AM

Post #17 of 55 (4195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I agree that buying from a reputable breeder is very very important... I've asked for imports breeder and Malaysia Champ dog breeders and they cost a bomb so I don't think I could afford it. but I'll take a look and get to know how different they are from the normal breeds.

The one I'm visiting this Sat is a experience breeder introduce by a friend, so hope everything will go smooth. He is also a trainer himself for big dogs like Doberman, GSD and Rotties....

Wink

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 14, 2008, 4:32 AM

Post #18 of 55 (4155 views)
Shortcut

Ok, if you like I shall try and give some infor. Please e-mail me at liteweimer@ yahoo .com stating your budget and where abouts you live.

junior81

Nov 14, 2008, 5:25 AM

Post #19 of 55 (4149 views)
Shortcut

i strongly agree what boobee mention / info on rott...thats is why in opinion that you may go for other large breed that is more ' tame ' in nature....

search in you tube video they tested rott bite presure is much more beyond gsd/ america pitbull....

btw, may i ask why rott attract you so much among the large breed?

you will know how powerfull rott dog is if u deal with real wan...they can even break the chain, thick chain that purchase from kedai logam.....

not a play play breed...but very loyal and protective to family members....

Anderson

Nov 15, 2008, 1:52 AM

Post #20 of 55 (4116 views)
Shortcut

I am a dog owner for more than 25 years and I still not dare to say I am an expert lo. because for such experience I also being attack by my own dog. Nothing is impossible, and the scar still stick on my arm and leg for many year.Mad

If you have little kids or old folk in your house, please consider again for owning a rott.

If you insist, then please attend the obedient course if possible

boobee2005
Novice

Nov 15, 2008, 2:18 AM

Post #21 of 55 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Question: Do you like dogs? Very pertinent question coz you have to like 'em to be able to have the patience to learn about dog behaviours from scratch? and not wallop them for every little mistake (people think) and disobedience (again people think it's 'disobedience') when in actual fact, dogs do not understand what it is you want them to do.

It's a big, no, HUGE learning curve for a beginner to be able to handle a rottie. What everyone has posted is 'why not consider another dog' is because of our own experiences. Rotties are no joke bringing up. I think all of us here are concerned as rotties can be aggressive/temperamental if not raised properly. No obedience training in the world can teach one how to tackle their behavioural traits. They are not for the novice. If one is too soft with them, they will dominate you (more than any dog I know), if one is always wacking them, they will turn aggressive. What I had directed you to read up on are also all real-life experiences with rotties, not just articles on theory.

I've also had dogs all my entire life, with mongrels, boxer, dobbies and the rottie (bless their heart) still takes the cake on really testing our knowledge, intelligence, patience, strength, etc. Everyday is a learning experience with them. FYI PSY, there are plenty to love the rotties just that there is not enough time to list them down!!Smile

junior81

Nov 15, 2008, 5:38 AM

Post #22 of 55 (4098 views)
Shortcut

how much they charge you?

check out the rott puppy at puppy for sales website..how much they are selling?

chilimson

Nov 15, 2008, 7:44 PM

Post #23 of 55 (4083 views)
Shortcut

I have kept Rottweilers for close to 20 years now, and I can tell you that they are one of the most loyal and faithful breed. They are a victim of their own success, which is irresponsible breeding and ownership. In the peak of their fame, every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to own one, but do not want to invest the time and money in training or getting one that had excellent bloodline. By and large, most of the breeders just wanted to buy excellent show dogs, and then bring them to their country with a short cut to fame in their own local ring. They do not spend time investigating and studying the bloodlines, and then just breed and sell and sell. A lot of buyers also wanted to buy cheap dogs with parentage that have a lot of certificates and so on. I am not here to share the ethical aspects of breeders, but I think they are just killing the breed that "was" once a great breed. The reason why I said "was" is because their greed is not much different from the those who had created the financial crisis that the whole world now is paying.

I had imported many Rottweilers from many countries, but I finally learnt my lessons and only trust Germany. I think the ADRK probably is the best Rottweiler club in the world that have decades of records of their Rottweilers, and will allow you to search their respective bloodlines. There are lots of countries that claimed to have German bloodline as their starting point, but they do not have a solid club to regulate the perpetual purity of what is stated in their certificate. I ever imported a puppy whose sire is a world champion, and found her to have some mild HD. It was much later that someone in their country wrote to me that the sire had developed very serious spinal problem and was kept alive to continue breeding because of his title. He also told me that all the certificates that I get could be obtain, just by $$$.

I do agree that you should not have a Rottweiler as your first dog, because of what is out there. I am happy that there is someone out there telling everyone about the "bad" qualities, in order to save the Rottweiler from another infamous incident. I live in Singapore, and the Rottweiler is again being victimized because there are irresponsible breeding and ownership. The Singapore government is planning to impose all kind of punishment for the all the Rottweiler owner. Me included will have to be punished. I was incensed at first, but I think this may be the last hope to save the Rottweilers! I think this will forced those who really love the breed to go all the way to own one. They also will not fall into the hands of those who just wanted to try and not willing to invest. The greatest deed the Singapore government can do is make the Rottweiler so expensive to keep, that all the irresponsible breeders stop using this breed to print money for them. Please try to own some other breed first, and I am more than glad to share with you everything you will like to know about Rottweiler.

(This post was edited by chilimson on Nov 15, 2008, 7:49 PM)

junior81

Nov 15, 2008, 8:04 PM

Post #24 of 55 (4075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chilimson] Need your opinions on Rottweiler, need your advise, lol ~~~ [In reply to] Can't Post

yes totally agree with what chilimson mention, as a first dog owner, rott is not a goood choice whereby if you have not been raising any dog before....

you will have pop up many question with ' why is he like this'.........

theory and article always give good picture..

never deny that rott is a very loyal and protective of its family members.....thumbs up.....

just like when there is a stranger talking to me thru gate, he will always sit beside or infront of me watching the strangers.......

Elaine8
Dog Kichi

Nov 15, 2008, 10:15 PM

Post #25 of 55 (4072 views)
Shortcut

I agree with my rott is just 3mths+ and she behave like that.

Futhermore she knows my car sound....when i reach home open the gate she will sit and not move.

All you need is lots of patients...lots of training....and most of all love.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my