Rotten...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 14, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #1 of 18 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Rotten... Can't Post

SmileHi

Well,my dog has this annoying habit.It becomes even worse if I have just bathed her and then she does it. For example, yesterday. Unsure

Well...her habit isn't rolling on mud..It's worse.

She likes rolling on dead and rotten smelling things. I know its part of their instincts.Wolves and other wild dogs do it more often to hide their smell.

What kind I do to stop this behavior? I have been trying for the past 3 yrs.

Thanks Smile Hope to hear everyone's thoughts

Btw,is my dog the only weird one who does this?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jun 14, 2003, 9:54 PM

Post #2 of 18 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Have not tried... as I don't have a 'dead and rotten smelling things" environment..Tongue
Anyway, why not u get rid of the stuff first?
Rex stands still when I finish bathing him..he's just waiting patiently for me to dry him..
What say others?
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 14, 2003, 10:40 PM

Post #3 of 18 (2315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

When Biscuit was a boy he'd wiggle like a worm whenever i try to dry him after bathing....now that he's a man he stands still for me to dry him....but one thing hasn't changed, after drying him with a towel he'll still run around like a mad dog and starts rolling on the floor or cushions or anything Crazy

He too likes to roll on other rotten things or insects....well mostly insects or a lizard that he has just bitten into half Mad

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 15, 2003, 5:21 AM

Post #4 of 18 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea...but what i meant is that she doesn't do it immediately after a shower(well,not usually anyway,thank god!) when we go for a walk..n there is a padang near my hse. Nobody uses it. So I let my dog go to run around. That's when she finds rotten frogs...birds and god knows what!
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 16, 2003, 12:14 AM

Post #5 of 18 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Hi !

Oh well, my Mocha loves to wait till the end of her bath and play with her favourite towel ! she will take it...pretends to bite it and go after my finger while I'm drying her up ! no dead things around for her to play with so, can't help u much on that lor....

cheers,
minglmy

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 16, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, Trivor also like mad dog after I dried her with towel. She will run circle, jump to sofa, run inside out from the house... not sure she is happy or what?... i just let her run until she is tired and I'll brush her after that...

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 16, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2295 views)
Shortcut

hahah gina...ur Biscuit very good at hunting leh...keke Laugh Insects, lizards, dead fish..somehow he just manages to find them eh?? Wink

Both my Spitzs are good fly catchers. They can eye the fly flying around and then *jump* and then you can see them spit the fly out of their mouth. The fly is always still alive...but in the 'high' or 'mabuk' state liao...hehe then they'd lie down and play with the fly using their paws. Then when they get bored, they'd leave that half dazed fly on the floor Crazy

I read somewhere that animals tend to pick up rotten animals because their sense of smell is very good. And like wolves, their sense of smell is capable of picking up the scent of other animals (although we can't smell them with our human nose). Maybe they don't see it as gross but think you will praise them and reward them for their 'catch' instead?? Tongue

I usually don't let Sparkle down until I've finished what I want to do. After his bath, I'll carry him to the chair to blow dry and then I'll carry him downstairs and place him on a towel spread on the washing machine (hehe the washing machine is my grooming table also Tongue) and then brush him, clean his years, brush his teeth, clip his nails, trim his fur between the paws, dust baby powder...and I only let him down after I've finished everything. Sometimes he falls asleep while I brush him so it makes everything easy. When I place him on the floor...he just goes to the carpet and sleep. So no rubbing here and there...maybe cause he's still very young and likes smelling like baby powder!! kekeke

(This post was edited by cshellz on Jun 16, 2003, 5:57 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 16, 2003, 10:43 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol

Silky does that too! She's soooo adorable when she does that. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Phoebe
Novice

Jun 17, 2003, 12:08 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Hmm....y baby powder? To make them smell good? Is it ok if i apply it on my Max? (max is a Beagle) Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 5:50 AM

Post #10 of 18 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Yah u hv to really keep an eye on your dog when u take her out for her walk, but in your case u let her run freely then u can't really catch her fast enough to stop her....when i take mine for a walk my eyes hv to be sharper coz if i don't look where he's sniffing next thing i know he's rolling on something eeky or hv something eeky in his mouth and i'd hv to pry his mouth open and hand will touch the eeky thing and you're out on a walk and dont really hv anything to wipe or wash your hand and it's all pretty gross really CrazyPirate

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 5:53 AM

Post #11 of 18 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

haha yep i let him run around like a mad dog too...in fact sometimes i actually make it a game and chases him some more coz 1) he'll be dry in no time and 2) he gets his exercise at the same time Laugh

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 6:07 AM

Post #12 of 18 (2267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

Toad....he killed a toad in our garden the other nite....the nite before he caught it and i caught him on time, of course he was running around the garden with the toad in his mouth trying to get away frm me....toads are poison and i was really scared for awhile coz he did foam a bit in his mouth....so i quickly washed his mouth with lots of water and let him drink lots of water too....he drank quite a big by himself coz i think he felt uncomfy with the slime and all....i threw the toad outside and the stupid toad must hv came back the following nite coz the next morning i found a dead toad on the floor with lots of ants partying around it Mad....luckily he was ok and nothing weird happened to him after Crazy

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 17, 2003, 7:30 AM

Post #13 of 18 (2262 views)
Shortcut

lol!

that's a terrier for ya!

well, you have a natural hunter in your own backyard. Great for getting rid of pests. j/k

Does he hunt lizards too?

Silky loves frogs too...ugh...not many in our garden now though.Wink
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 17, 2003, 7:56 AM

Post #14 of 18 (2261 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah...I know what ur talking abt gina ! I even got a photo of biscuit taken during the gathering of him going after the rubbish ! WinkTongueTongueWink well, since that i haven't posted the photo up yet...wanna give me a bribe ??? hehehehe LaughLaugh

cheers,
minglmy

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #15 of 18 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Phoebe] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Phoebe,

I read about using baby talcum powder from one of the websites I browsed while I was searching the net for tips on grooming a Jap Spitz. One particular breeder gave this tip...to put talcum powder at the belly and can use it to run through the fur also. The belly part has the least fur...and he sleeps on the belly too...so I guess that makes it easier for them to get rashes etc esp if they decide to lie on some damp spot. In fact my vet actually recommends that doggy wears a T-shirt to protect their belly!

hehe..anyway, after putting it I think my puppy likes it cause he was extra manja and wants to cuddle!! hahaha and I loved the way he smelled after that too plus it hasn't irritated him or anything, so I guess it's safe Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Yah lizards are one of his fav....he knows the word 'lizard' too...if u say lizard out loud he'll start looking up the ceiling for it! Basically anything small that moves is his prey Unsure

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 8:53 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Rotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah like that also can aarrr makan rasuah! Tongue Me very pening with him lar....when it comes to food there's no stopping him....very sorry to the girl whom he stole the packet of Julie's cookies frm her bag! I had to chase after him for it....and also sorry to another girl whom he grabbed the paper napkin frm her basket and tore them apart CrazyBlush....seems every gathering he'll steal something frm someone's bag Blush

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 18, 2003, 9:40 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2237 views)
Shortcut

aiiiiks, i missed so many of those special shots ar ? darn....will try to get more evidence next time LaughLaughLaugh

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my