Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: Animal Friends:
shih tzu up for adoption

8su4
Novice

Oct 22, 2008, 11:49 PM

Post #1 of 16 (7996 views)
Shortcut
shih tzu up for adoption Can't Post

hi guys. I have a rescued shih tzu that needs a caring and patient home as she was rescued fr a terrible terrible place. As i've already have two other dogs, i can't really care for her (as in giving her more attn to nurse her back). Providing a shelter is no issue but i dont think she'll be given the best with me sad to say..She is also quite dominating, hence does not get along well with my other two dogs :( According to the vet, she's 2 yrs old..She has soem skin prob (sporadic dermatitis) . According to the vet, a change of diet followed by medicated bath is all that is needed..i am currently feeding her salmon fish meat lightly steamed + rice for dinner and some organic dog food for breakie. She has some eye problem (left eye). If there's anyone who doesn;t mind a 'handicap' puppy, pls msg me at 017 8866130..apart fr her skin and eye prob (got eye drops fr the vet), she is a lovely puppy..she's very alert and smart (unlike my other shih tzu :P) She can recognise my car and wld wait patiently at the doorwhen i bring her for her walks..she knows when to ease herself (she'll start whimperring). I've rescued and had her fr 2 wks til date. I have just sent her to the groomers to have her coat shaved off (ease the itching ) and had a full body grooming session + medicated bath..I feel with proper attn and love and patient, she'll be a gem in no time :)

She;s tri color,pure breed + mini size (no pics as she's "botak" now..not exactly very uh, attractive.) Pls help !!!!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 23, 2008, 7:24 PM

Post #2 of 16 (7972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [8su4] shih tzu up for adoption [In reply to] Can't Post

Best of luck in finding a good home for the dog. I'd like to offer some advice on how to improve the health and benefit the skin and immune system of the dog.

Feed her vegetables. Chop up vegetables like cabbage, carrots, choy sum - any vegetable - and cook it with some chopped garlic (good against ticks) - either boiling or steaming - and feed it to the dog along with the rest of the food. I feed my 4 dogs vegetables (and plain yoghurt) every day and it is sooooooo good for them.

I have a miniature poodle adopted from the SPCA whom I fostered initially. He had a terrible skin condition - dermatitis - which was why his previous owners dumped him at the SPCA and made him unattractive to potential adopters. He itched terribly and it was so bad that his back was a horrible mess of sore skin. The first night he was with me, I was woken up by the thumping from his scratching and his squealing from the discomfort. I switched on the bed side light to find my bed and the floor covered in smeared blood because he had broken through the skin on his back. I cleaned him up and applied some lotion provided by the SPCA to stop the itching.

Over the next few days, I applied a medicated skin cream to his back and fed him vegetables along with the usual kibble and some boiled chicken and plain yoghurt. Within three days, he'd stopped scratching and the skin on his back began to heal. Before, it was red and sore and weepy. Within two weeks, the hair on his back began to grow back and today, except for some discolouration of the hair, there are no signs of the skin problem on his back. He still itches a little and licks his skin occasionally but it may be from habit (like people who bite their nails).

His carers at the SPCA were amazed by the total change in his condition after he was with me for 6 months. They had been so concerned that if he wasn't adopted (because of his bad skin) he might have to be put to sleep. Now, he's mine!

The vegetables don't have to cooked every day - I cook up a batch and keep it in the fridge. I feed it to the dogs over the course of three or four days, warming it up first in the microwave to take the chill off the vegetables. All my dogs love the vegetables with their dinner. The vegetables don't have to expensive - I use the outer leaves of the my vegetables which is less attractive but still good.

Please try adding vegetables to your dogs' diet and see the huge difference it makes to your dogs, especially the shih tzu. If you can, add plain yoghurt to their diet too as it is very good for their digestion especially when fed in tandem with the vegetables.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

8su4
Novice

Oct 24, 2008, 12:43 AM

Post #3 of 16 (7957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] shih tzu up for adoption [In reply to] Can't Post

hey gus gus , thanks for ur suggestion..indeed i wld try..i was reading some post uinder the skin condition forum and am trying the sweet potato diet on my doggie..in this short 2 weeks, we have grown rather attached to her and we're not really keeen to give her up ..i only posted it as i felt its for the dog's best interest if she can stumble upon someone who can care for her during the day also as opposed to me, in the morning and at night..she's left roaming ard my house during the day..i started pureeing sweet potato (purple + oragne for the variety) to add to her salmon for dinner..i was told by the vet not to feed her chicken as i previously used to buy chic breast for her (lightly steamed). I do feel her raw crushed garlic (1/2 teaspoon) with her salmon..she's always hungry tho..and uh, i have a horrid habbit of giving her human crackers *lol*how much shdl i feed a 6.7kg 2yr old shih tzu??i feed her breakie and dinner and some kibbles (20 pcs) during the day (left in her food bowl)..
What medicated ointment did u use?my vet said just to bath her in troy selederm (which he's added 2 other active anti fungal and something else) inside..but i read fr other forums that it doesn;t work that well..what can u suggest??is there soemthing i can apply everyday??i'm worried when she scratches her face (eye )..her eyes seem cloudy..we've applied eye drops (fr vet) but it still seems cloudy..she's energetic tho//is it ok to feed her some rice or oats?

mulan_pg
Novice

Oct 24, 2008, 2:05 AM

Post #4 of 16 (7954 views)
Shortcut

Hello there, just wanted to know ur location?

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2008, 3:33 AM

Post #5 of 16 (7950 views)
Shortcut

If you're feeding your dog with the sweet potatoes, salmon and other food then reduce the amount of dog food to half the manufacturer's recommended amount.

Human crackers are a definite NO-NO! Resist the temptation to give her "just a piece" because it's got salt and sugar and refined flour which is really not good for dogs (not good for us either but then......... Tongue).

You also mentioned that she had dominance problems - well, giving into her soulful demands for human food is not going to help with establishing your status as top dog over her. No wonder she thinks she can boss the other dogs in the household when she knows you're a pushover!!

On a more serious note, what exactly is the skin problem that the shih tzu's suffering from? Dermatitis doesn't usually require anti-fungal/ anti-bacterial shampoo unless there're other factors from the broken skin. For the poodle (I renamed him Merlin to signify his new life as my dog), I use Tar-rific shampoo. I'm not sure if it's sold here in Malaysia (I get mine from Singapore) but any coal tar-based shampoo will do.

With regard to the dog's eyes, does she have premature cataracts? What is the vet's diagnosis? If you're not convinced of the vet's diagnosis, it never hurts to get a second opinion - after all, human beings get second opinions from another doctor for themselves. Ask your friends for a recommendation of another vet to get a second opinion from. Or take the dog to UPM's vet clinic if you're not sure.

As for the rice and oats, don't overload the dog's system with too many new foods too soon - some of her skin problems may stem from food allergies and a digestive system that isn't good. I remember that you mentioned that you rescued the dog from terrible conditions. Those terrible conditions could impact her digestive system, her immune system and general health and her various health issues could stem from them all having gone haywire.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

8su4
Novice

Oct 24, 2008, 5:53 AM

Post #6 of 16 (7944 views)
Shortcut

I've just started her last nite and tonite on sweet potato..didn't know dogs wld eat veges..heheh..my other two doggie don't..we tried sneaking carrots fr the ABC soup my mummy boiled into their rice but they'll whack everyhting but leave out the carrot bits (even potatos and onions)..but my shih tzu loves vegs..thanks for the tip..tonite we feed her kai lan (steamed til very soft), sweet potato (blended), salmon (roughly 80gr of wet flesh), some tofu and brown rice podrice..we basically gave her what we ate..*lol*well but hers are bland..no sauce..
oh, and some japanese seaweed (cldn't resist to let her try some :P)

The vet said her skin prob stems fr either bad diet (stupiak previous owner must have gave her crap..i randomly bought her fr this indian lady who tied this poor girl up under the freakin hot sun near her clothes store in Jalan masjid india)..Vet said it cld also be due to some gland disorder..i can 'control' it but it'll never cure..*aiks* he mentioned sumthing abt it being "sporadic dermatitis".. apart fr changing the diet and bathing her once a week with that concoction of medicated syampoo, nothing can be done wor..
I had t he brilliant idea of rubbing fish oil on her but decided against it cos i didn't want to add further complications to her..Tar hey??i know ppl do use that but uh, both the vet or the groomers made no mention on that..i've already brought her to see 3 vets..2 in SS14 (i live there) and one in ss18...apart fr one of them who gave me some vitamin and gel llike thing to 'grow' the fur, they said the same thing "diet + medicated shampoo"..
As for her eyes..well,my negligence..i didn't notice it when i first rescued her..but have brought her to see the vet last week, who said its just some dirt/eye shit ..gave me sumthing to wipe it and some eye drop..but i notice whilst its gettign better, it does seem a lil cloudy.. :(
UPM eh? Uh, do they consult everyday..do u have their number? I'll call opearator if u don't but how do i ask? as in whats the name of the place..thanks Gus Gus

Btw, mulan, i'm in subang

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2008, 9:17 AM

Post #7 of 16 (7937 views)
Shortcut

Soya is not recommended for dogs - something to do with the amino acid combination that makes up the protein. Some cheaper dog foods used to use soya beans as a means of increasing the protein content (and to save money by not using meat as the source of the protein) but it has since been found to be bad for dogs. The seaweed would be good for her as long as there is no salt. Excessively high protein food could also be a problem for your dog so monitor the protein sources carefully.

You could try adding extra virgin oil into her food. 1 tablespoon added to her food every day. If not the olive oil then oil of evening primrose or vitamin E are good alternatives.

Some dogs have naturally cloudy looking eyes but it is best to get a clear cut diagnosis once and for all. What are the eye drops that the vet gave you? Is there a name on the label?

UPM is located in Serdang, near Kajang. You can find the telephone number via directory enquiries or do a google search. It's the vet school for Malaysia so they are very up to date and have some of the best equipment. Take the eye drops with you when you go as well as the names of all the medications/ shampoos and lotions that you are currently using on your dog. That way they can be sure of what treatment the dog is undergoing. Make a list of foods you are feeding your dog so that you can discuss your dog's diet with the vet.

8su4
Novice

Oct 24, 2008, 7:16 PM

Post #8 of 16 (7918 views)
Shortcut

oh noo..oopss..will stop feeding her soy and seeweed (its toasted with seesame seeds and uh. sea salt)..*lol* gosh..its interesting how in the past dogs were fed with just scraps of food, yet had no issues..thanks for explaning and for all your tips..i will try the olive oil supplementation and will bring her down to UPM when my daddy gets bck fr Germany..I don't drive you see..well, not since i firstleft malaysia..will keep u posted when my doggie starts to recover :)

Btw, are there any fruits that are a no-no to her??

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 24, 2008, 9:43 PM

Post #9 of 16 (7914 views)
Shortcut

onions are no no.. and also fruit seeds. grapes and raisins are also a no no. try check the nutrition section should have a post on what is not good for dogs.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 25, 2008, 1:50 AM

Post #10 of 16 (7900 views)
Shortcut

Grapes, raisins and sultanas are a no-no. Not sure why but it was on a list that I saw at the vet's. Also, no to chocolate - chocolates, grapes, raisins and sultanas are poisonous to the dog's system and death has been known to occur. I also heard something about onions so avoid that too.

Feeding table scraps weren't so detrimental to our dogs' health thirty or forty years ago because dogs weren't so in-bred then but these days with selfish profiteering people who see dogs as a commodity, poor breeding practices and a limited gene pool, too many pure bred dogs in Malaysia have genetic health problems.

Apples are very good for dogs. Just remember to remove the pips.

8su4
Novice

Oct 25, 2008, 7:43 AM

Post #11 of 16 (7884 views)
Shortcut

acysen : thanks for the onion tip and the advice to read the nutrition forum..lots of homework to do now..heheheh..

Gus gus : yah, i used to feed my mongrels a bit of chocolate..*lol* every summer when i get back fr Sydney, i bring many packs of timtams..and *lol* wld feed one stick to each doggie..did that for quite sometime til i brought my dogs for their annual jabs and my vet said they're overweight..i jokingly said "yah, summer come, i feed them chcos"..Man, i got the LECTURE of my life..ever since that, i abstain fr feeding them ice-cream and chocoaltes..yes, i'm a 'bad owner'..heheheh..just that they always give me the big eye pleading look and i always think "aiya a bit only"..

Will go buy apples fr pasar malam this sunday.. :) She definately lurves her vege diet...*lol* tonite we added purple cabbage to her pumkin and sweet potato (diff color = more anti oxidant)..actually its whatever vege we eat..and as i'm a fish eater only, she gets a bit of my fish everyday..talk abt practicing favourtism..my other 2 mongrels dont; receive such a treatment..hhmph!!

thanks again for all your kind advices and help (acysen and gus gus)I really do appreciate it..and i feel whilst its easy to buy a new and healthy puppy, the satisfaction of nursing one back to health is even better :) Its like planting a seed and watching the plant grow.. :)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 25, 2008, 9:39 AM

Post #12 of 16 (7882 views)
Shortcut

It's great that your dogs give you so much pleasure. Mine are wonderful and I can't imagine a life without dogs.

Sugar is another no-no along with salt! They're bad for humans but really bad for dogs.

8su4
Novice

Oct 26, 2008, 4:57 AM

Post #13 of 16 (7840 views)
Shortcut

me too..i've always had dogs ever since i was born..btw, do u think its ok to rub vit e on my shih tzu's skin??its very flaky and inflamed..

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Oct 26, 2008, 2:15 PM

Post #14 of 16 (7828 views)
Shortcut

I've never used vit E on my dog's skin direct.

Try feeding it to her first. And use an antiseptic cream (ask the vet for some) on her skin.

8su4
Novice

Oct 27, 2008, 6:58 AM

Post #15 of 16 (7799 views)
Shortcut

Oh, i've already feeding her omega 3&6 oil above the salmon she eats..so i think i'll just try the vit e on her inflamed skin..okie will visit the vet on tues when they re open..

chnleong
New User

Aug 28, 2009, 3:49 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6808 views)
Shortcut

Hi , thanks for all the informaation , coz i just adopt a dog from Paw lst week and he had the skin problem as well.
But he getting better now and i'm going to buy some vege fot him now.
Thanks again to every one her to share your knowlege and infor .....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my