Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old.

muitheng
New User

Aug 29, 2008, 11:01 PM

Post #1 of 5 (8689 views)
Shortcut
Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old. Can't Post

Hi,
I have a dog. His name is Dopey. Adorable lil boy who is going to turn 10 years old soon. (not too sure about the age as he was rescued from the streets.)
Two years ago he started coughing and wheezing so i took him to the vet and he told me that he has chronic asthma and gave me some medicine, told me to feed him twice a day but i only gave him one tablet a day because it was steroids. He seems alright after that.
I changed vet recently and i took him for a check up today, did a blood test and he was diagnosed with heartworm. According to the vet, the choice is up to me if i want to go on with the treatment. I came home and checked a few websites regarding this problem. I'm worried as the treatment is a painful process and might be fatal.
We did another blood test and it shows that his liver is not in a very good condition from all the steroids he was taking and he gained a lot of weight.
I did not realize that heartworm was fatal and i regret i did not start him on the preventives when i just got him.( i was only 13) I did not know that time and i'll have to live with it as long as i live but i would like to know if i should continue with the treatment or not?
Unsure

(This post was edited by muitheng on Aug 29, 2008, 11:02 PM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2008, 5:33 AM

Post #2 of 5 (8620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [muitheng] Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it's definitely up to you to proceed with it or not. To date i have sent 3 dogs for heartworm treatment and all of them turn out fine. 1 is 9 yr old, 1 is 4 yr old and another is 5 yrs plus. I am not sure about pain as I do not see the dogs i treated suffering much except they have to be rested for 2 months. Do check with your vet regarding the treatment. And also may i know which vet do you go to?

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

muitheng
New User

Sep 1, 2008, 1:40 PM

Post #3 of 5 (8598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old. [In reply to] Can't Post

I use to take my dog to this vet near my house in SS2 (Opposite RHB bank) They just told me he had chronic asthma. They did not even check. I trusted him and did not seek second opinion until recently. The recent one i went to is a vet in seksyen 14.
The vet told me if i neat to treat him i will have to fix his liver first. She also told me he has to eat a lot of medicine before going thru the treatment. Is Ivermectin suitable for my dog's condition?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2008, 4:16 PM

Post #4 of 5 (8585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [muitheng] Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one opposite RHB bank is highly not recommended. Section 14 should be Dr Thong. She is not too bad. Or if you have doubts you can try Dr Yeoh at Taman Megah. He is very good. As for the liver treatment and ivermectin i would not be able to advise on that as I am not too sure on your dog's condition. Ivermectin is found in Heartgard, the heartworm prevention tablets that is given monthly. Do check with the vet if you have any other doubts.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

muitheng
New User

Sep 6, 2008, 7:37 AM

Post #5 of 5 (8469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Heartworm. My dog is now 10 years old. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not know at that time. I just went to the nearest vet as i just moved to PJ 2 years ago. I really regret bringing my boi there. Yes, the section14 is Dr. Thong

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my