Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 18, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #1 of 10 (6011 views)
Shortcut
How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate Can't Post

Hey guys..i have a dog which is already 3 years old...she will run out the gate if the gate was open,but she wont go far..she juz walk around the playground beside my house..when i open the side door,she will come out.but i still scard later she got caught by some stranger...Pirateanyone know how to teach a dog not to run out from the gate?

THANKS ALOT!!FrownFrown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 20, 2008, 7:57 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

have she been running out for the past 3 years? if yes, it will hard to deal with.

i will consider negative reinforcement by punishing her whenever she attempt to step pass the gate.

and in the meantime before you fix the problem, tie or lock her up before u open the gate..

is not the concern about being abduct by stranger, is safety issue. hitting by a car or motorcyclist is far horrible that being kidnap

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 21, 2008, 1:22 AM

Post #3 of 10 (5930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

she does...1st time is puppy time..hersize too small n squezz out the gate.2nd time isi bring her go jalan-jalan then the she run away wif the leash chasing a gal...then she stop in front a house wif a dalmation.third time squezz out from the wire gauze....then my dad open gate then she gou out 'kai kai' by her self...Unsure
how to punish?tie her up is useless coz she was tied up when nobody at house...well...will try bit her 'per pet'...Blush..she scard of cane...when she saw my mom holding a cane she will faster run away...heheh...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 21, 2008, 1:41 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

for those unsupervise escape. u juz need to ensure that your house is fully secure.

as for punishment, don't use cane. because in order for u to cane her, you need to catch her. once she ran off, it will take u time to catch her anyway. u need 'on the spot' punishment. try putting a long line on her, open the gate, and when she attempt to cross, shout 'no', and yank the leash hard enough to make the point. this u will need tons of repetition.

or either way, work on 'recall'. if u had a good recall, then whenever she runs out, you can just call her back

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Vic Tea
Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008, 2:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (5900 views)
Shortcut

Teach your dog "WAIT" command in every situations, i.e. wait before give food (used your body to block the food) , wait after you open dog cage (used your body to block the door) , wait after you open your house gate (used leash fto prevent him run out straight). And, also wait when you open car door (if you travel with your dog).....plenty of repetitions/ consistancy....soon your dog will know the command "wait"....good luck. I am training my dobe the wait command now, he is 6 month old...I think it is a very useful command beside sit, down and come....

Wait can save your dog's life.......

picasaweb.google.com/ckthee/ROLEXTheWatchDog

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 22, 2008, 11:27 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

tried recall...but depends on her mood...if she happy n u got food 4 her then she will come...if u juz scolded her n call her then she don 'choi' u...haiz...very notti...today my mom groomed her then when wan to cut her hand's fur she become veryy angry ..n BITE!!!we hav nothing to do so juz send her to the pet shop..haiz...anyway,will try 'on the spot' punishment...hehehe....THANKS!Frown

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 22, 2008, 11:35 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vic Tea] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes she can wait...i let her lie down n let her sniff her treats then tell her to wait....she wait then i say eat but she still lieing down...Unsure

Vic Tea
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008, 2:55 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5871 views)
Shortcut

So far I train my Rolex "wait" follow by "ok". These two commands work well together.

Wait for treat on the floor, food, after door and gate open, either he is standing, lie down or sitting.......then OK for him to eat or come out.

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Aug 23, 2008, 4:48 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vic Tea] How to teach a dog not to run out from the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

ok!WinkTongue

Vic Tea
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008, 5:10 AM

Post #10 of 10 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Youtube is very useful.......just type "dog training tips"....and all related videos will pop up....haha. I learned a lot from youtube.

Check out this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my