Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
cataract

teeyeenar
New User

Jul 30, 2008, 3:15 AM

Post #1 of 11 (23983 views)
Shortcut
cataract Can't Post

hi.. i just found out that my 8 1/2 years old siberian husky has cataract.. i wonder is it advisable for me to go ahead with surgery... the doctor said there isn't a guarantee that the surgery would be a success.. please help me..Frown

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 31, 2008, 11:41 PM

Post #2 of 11 (23953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [teeyeenar] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes if i'm not wrong there's no guarantee. But chances of success are quite high. Get a good doctor will be better and it is very costly. I too have a 9 months old dog which has cataract. He has got it since he is 3 months old. Poor pup. Now waiting for his surgery to be done.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

lisachew

Nov 8, 2008, 10:06 PM

Post #3 of 11 (21069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

My 2 dogs are having cataract problem as well. May I know where in Klang valley do you have reliable vet for such operation?
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2008, 3:59 PM

Post #4 of 11 (21015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

I think only UPM has the facilities to do so for now. How old is your dog? If it is too old I would not recommend for you to go for surgery. Do check with your vet on this option.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

lacavara
Novice

Feb 3, 2009, 8:25 PM

Post #5 of 11 (19301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [teeyeenar] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

UPM is the only place you can have your dog's cataract removed in this country. However, before the operation is done, the condition of your dog's health has to be reasonably good, especially on the part of the heart.

If the cataract is just discovered recently, then an operation is likely to improve the vision of your dog. However, if the cataract has been there for years, the dog may or may not see even after the operation.

Dr Nazariah Cheng of UPM had performed the operation to remove the cataract on both eyes of my cavalier king charles spaniel a long time ago. the operation cost was quite substantial at that time, i.e abt RM2,000 per eye. My dog was UPM's first patient to have his cataract removed, . Hence, if you are prepared to pay for it then you may want to quickly contact UPM Vet Clinic the soonest possible to get it done.

All the best

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel at Lacavara
http://www.lacavara.com

Jasonyapkk
Novice

Feb 25, 2009, 9:15 PM

Post #6 of 11 (18976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lacavara] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lacavara
Do you have any contact for this Dr.Nazariah? My GR 7yrs just recently has cataract on his left eyes, He already lost his right eye sight due to injury. he's practically blind now Frown How do i get contact of her??

really appreciate is u can help me.

rgds

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2009, 10:37 PM

Post #7 of 11 (18965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jasonyapkk] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

dr nadzariah cheng is with UPM, the vet school... searh for UPM's number n u'll be able to get in touch with her... all the best with ur dog...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Jasonyapkk
Novice

Feb 25, 2009, 10:57 PM

Post #8 of 11 (18963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this

DR. NADZARIAH CHENG A.
UNIVERSITY VETERINARY HOSPITAL
FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE,
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA, SERDANG 43400 SELANGOR
Tel No: 03-89468263
Fax No: 03-89468333

Tried d no. numerous times but no answer. Anyone can give her Hp.no? or any other no. than this?

(This post was edited by Jasonyapkk on Feb 25, 2009, 11:26 PM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 26, 2009, 12:01 AM

Post #9 of 11 (18957 views)
Shortcut

i found this in another forum... i think they are the general lines, give it a try...

UPM Veterinary Hospital (UVH) has two numbers and they are:
03-89468317 and
03-86563528

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

lacavara
Novice

Mar 5, 2009, 8:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (18766 views)
Shortcut

Dr Cheng may be giving lectures while you were calling her office. Perhaps you may just want to go to the vet clinic at UPM , let them have a look before they refer Dr Cheng to you. I doubt they would give you Dr Cheng's HP number freely.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel at Lacavara
http://www.lacavara.com

Sheryl
Novice

Apr 21, 2011, 6:12 AM

Post #11 of 11 (14936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lacavara] cataract [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all forumers,

I wld like to share with you all about my discovery.

There is this website called www.allergicpet.com that sells all kinds of medical products made with natural ingredients. They are based in US and as far as I know, they dont have distributors. They just want to handle their products by themselves.

There is this product called 'eye see clearly' that claims to be able to cure many eye issues, including cataract. I have not tried this on my dog - a shih tzu, but i may go for this option once i have lobang to get this product.

The shipment costs is high, almost the same price as the medicine, so i am waiting for hte moment when any of my friends have trips to US.

The testimonials seem to be very good. So it may be a good option than operation.

I am living in JB. I understand that cataract operation by one famous vet here costs RM 3+ per eye. So i guess the costs of this natural remedies still worth it.

Smile

Hope this helps.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my