Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia

yenfah
Novice

Jun 18, 2008, 11:57 PM

Post #1 of 12 (12470 views)
Shortcut
6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia Can't Post

Hello all, we've been noticing our 6-months old GR with some walking issues and hence took him to the vet, he did an x-ray on our puppy and confirms that the right leg has HD problem! And advised to do surgery that costs up to a few thousand ringgit!! we were very sad seeing him limping in pain, but was also worried whether the surgery will work 100% and bring him back to a normal life walking and running without pain. Main concern is also whether it is suitable for a young pup at 6 months? It is called Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO) if I remember well. The vet said his joint may come off the hip socket if surgery is delayed!! I really hope some experts here in the forum can give me some advice. Thanks a million!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 19, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #2 of 12 (12437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yenfah] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid your vet is right about the options. I think should not delay over 9 months old if i not wrong. And only 2-3 vets in Malaysia can do it. Which vet did u go to?

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

yenfah
Novice

Jun 19, 2008, 11:40 PM

Post #3 of 12 (12432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks. I sent him to a vet clinic and surgery in Tmn Megah. I'm now feeding him with Synoquin daily and has been reducing his food intake to monitor his weight for a week, just like what I have seen others been doing. Do you think that might help to lessen the pain while we are considering the surgery? We are quite lost now...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 20, 2008, 7:06 AM

Post #4 of 12 (12424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yenfah] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

He's the best you can find for this surgery. Make sure only Dr Yeoh handles this. So call up beforehand when you go. He is one of the very few vets who can do this surgery. Synoquin if I am not wrong will help lessen the pain now. Can go do read up online lo.

Bravo1
New User

Jul 12, 2008, 10:36 PM

Post #5 of 12 (12253 views)
Shortcut

My 6 month old GR was recently diagnose with hip displasia too. Dr.Yeoh recommended the same TPO surgery. So yenfah, your pup went for the surgery yet?

yenfah
Novice

Jul 13, 2008, 2:40 AM

Post #6 of 12 (12250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bravo1] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bravo, we are feeding him with Synoquin daily...he looks ok, and is once again jumping and running normally now. We lease him on slow walking daily to built up his back leg muscle to hold the joints better, so as to avoid joints dislocation. Did Dr. Yeoh explain how severe is your puppy's hip dysplasia? And whether there are any alternative apart from the surgery?

In Reply To

Bravo1
New User

Jul 14, 2008, 11:24 PM

Post #7 of 12 (12214 views)
Shortcut

Really appreciate the prompt reply, Yenfah. So your pup didnt go for the TPO surgery? Just taking synoquin? Dr Yeoh said the surgery is the best option for my lil baby now. I'm worried to death!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 15, 2008, 12:02 AM

Post #8 of 12 (12213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bravo1] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the condition of each dog is different therefore solutions given by doctor is also different. I can say that yenfah is lucky as hers is quite minor. Possibly because of the food intake and also the way she care for her dog and also the activities that she does with her dog. Everyone brings up their dog differently so can't say that another person's solution can fit your. Talk to Dr Yeoh and see what he says on giving synoquin for the moment. A fren of mine is so ignorant and laso want to save cost so goes to lousy vets and listen to wrong advise now the dog is limping badly..

yenfah
Novice

Jul 16, 2008, 3:05 AM

Post #9 of 12 (12177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bravo, i truly understand how it feels to see your lovely puppy in pain...and limping...no dog lovers could stand that kind of emotional torture, I would say. However, I agree with acsyen that Dr. Yeoh is indeed a very well experienced vet who is one of the few that can perform the surgery. Really, you may wish to talk to him and discuss further alternatives and options available. Good luck to you and your puppy! Oh and yes, quickly try out on Synoquin and see whether it improves your puppy condition. Also, we are controlling our puppy's weight now and had changed his food to Eaglepack (large breed puppy formula), this is apparently rich in glucosamine, which will improve the joint condition and relieve the pain. I found some useful website reading for you:
www.adogownersdogsite.com/Canine_Hip_Dysplasia_Also_mistakenly_known_as_Hip_Arthritis_in_dogs_Questions_and_Answers.php

duaguu
New User

Jul 16, 2008, 9:40 PM

Post #10 of 12 (12158 views)
Shortcut

Did your pup go for th surgery? My vet said that my rott pup has HD and TPO is the treatment option. Can Dr Yeoh do the surgery? Did he tell you how many has he done so far and what is his success rate? My dog is in Penang and I'll bring hin only if the vet is experienced.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 16, 2008, 11:17 PM

Post #11 of 12 (12152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [duaguu] 6-months old Golden Retriever with Hip Displasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Dr Yeoh has done for my fren's rescued rotty.. He's one of the best that I can recommend.. He's very experienced. He will soon be able to do cataract surgery too with his new machines. And my rescued GR will be the first one. i won't let any other doctor do. Have seen the way he treats animals really experienced. Other doctors look like laymen beside him..

babybenji
Dog Kichi

Aug 28, 2008, 1:25 AM

Post #12 of 12 (11389 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

since your puppy is less than a year, don't stress him/her in term of exercise. Just do a normal walking would be sufficient. Synoquin for growth will help. When he/she reach more than a year, give synoquin for maintenance and bring him/her for swimming. Swimming is one of the good exercise. Surgery should be the last option.

http://babybenji.blogspot.com/

Benji's Blog
http://babybenji.blogspot.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my