My adopted Shih-Tzu

eddie_had
Novice

Jul 2, 2008, 9:47 PM

Post #1 of 12 (12991 views)
Shortcut
My adopted Shih-Tzu Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm first time having a dog.

I'm adopted him from my colleague's friend, he just 1 and 3 month old. He just at my home for 3 days.

He would like to bark at night whenever we told him to sleep ( in living room with light off ). The previous onwer told me that sometimes the dog do slept with her.

I'm trying to get him used to the new enviroment since just adopted. I do cane him with hanger ( afraid) whenever his naughty and bark when wanna sleep.

Sorry for the long story, but I appreciate if anyone can tell me how long does he take to get use and listen to my command. Unsure

harky
Novice

Jul 3, 2008, 9:13 AM

Post #2 of 12 (12974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eddie_had] My adopted Shih-Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hi
seen u just adopt him just for 3 day... try to pity him as he is being giving away (throw away) by previous owner after 1yr 3 mth of care...

it can take week, mth to let him use to u.. give him more love care time he will know..

i think he is afraid tht y he bark

u need patient le

Scotch

Jul 3, 2008, 3:51 PM

Post #3 of 12 (12970 views)
Shortcut

This was what my dog used to do when I first got him. Everytime during the middle of the night (he sleeps outside) he'll start barking non-stop and I'll have to go down and stop him if not the neighbours will complain.

The moment I opened the door, he'll stop. And when I close the door, he'll bark again.

Maybe your dog is missing someone, maybe he's not used to sleeping alone. And since you're dog isn't a puppy, the sudden change from sleeping with people to without people might come as a shock.

Just give it some time. He'll get used to the new environment and know that he has to sleep alone. Don't rush anything.

My dog doesn't bark in the middle of the night anymore. Smile

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2008, 4:06 PM

Post #4 of 12 (12967 views)
Shortcut

Shih Tzu sometimes can be quite noisy.. Anyway get a Kong toy for your dog to keep it busy or make a DIY Kong toy with empty bottles. You can google what a Kong toy is. Another way is to take your dog for a 20minutes walk before you go to bed to tire it out..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Scotch

Jul 3, 2008, 4:53 PM

Post #5 of 12 (12965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] My adopted Shih-Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to know that some dogs will get tired out with a 20 minute walk. On some occasions, I'll take Scotch for a walk for about half an hour and when we come back, he'll start running around the house and start barking. Crazy

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2008, 5:03 PM

Post #6 of 12 (12964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] My adopted Shih-Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Shih tzu ma.. most dun have that much stamina. in your case teach him to fetch n play that with him. If you are interested in training classes for him let me know ya. I have a trainer that i can recommend. She's a behavorist for dogs and I feel she'll be the right person to train Scotch. This Sunday Myza's dog which is also scared of everything is coming to join us for the training. Let me know if you are interested.

Scotch

Jul 3, 2008, 5:08 PM

Post #7 of 12 (12963 views)
Shortcut

You mean training for scared dogs? How much is it?

(This post was edited by Scotch on Jul 3, 2008, 5:22 PM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2008, 5:31 PM

Post #8 of 12 (12957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] My adopted Shih-Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Rm200 for 6 lessons at BU central park. She teaches basic obedience trainings. You can text me for more details..012-4151524..

eddie_had
Novice

Jul 5, 2008, 11:10 PM

Post #9 of 12 (12864 views)
Shortcut

Hey Guys,

Thank you for your comments yah.

I think need sometime to train this fellow, although sometimes tiring.

Don't what happen for the last 3 days, he starting to bark before 7am in the morning.

Normally, we will let him out of the cage n ease himself after 7am in the morning. After he finished his job, he will diam diam liao.

Besides this, he really a good n cute dog.

alicewpy
Novice

Jul 9, 2008, 6:48 PM

Post #10 of 12 (12767 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm first time having a dog.

I'm adopted him from my colleague's friend, he just 1 and 3 month old. He just at my home for 3 days.

He would like to bark at night whenever we told him to sleep ( in living room with light off ). The previous onwer told me that sometimes the dog do slept with her.

I'm trying to get him used to the new enviroment since just adopted. I do cane him with hanger ( afraid) whenever his naughty and bark when wanna sleep.

Sorry for the long story, but I appreciate if anyone can tell me how long does he take to get use and listen to my command. Unsure

I personally feel that caning a small dog with hanger is rather harsh. It is very painful for human being, moreover a small dog. It sends wrong msg to the dog.

eddie_had
Novice

Jul 10, 2008, 1:40 AM

Post #11 of 12 (12749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicewpy] My adopted Shih-Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

No worry, I didn't cane him with the hanger.

I purposely bought a small rotan to cane him if he really naughty, else I won't.

boco

Jul 10, 2008, 6:28 PM

Post #12 of 12 (12721 views)
Shortcut

You purposely bought a rotan??!

It's only a shih tzu...you can just spank him with your own hand...you don't need hanger, rotan or whatever weapon.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my