Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Distemper, Parvo, Kennel Cough,...:
distemper-the pupy killer

apara
Novice

Jun 17, 2008, 12:03 AM

Post #1 of 10 (31017 views)
Shortcut
distemper-the pupy killer Can't Post

i got a puppy from a pet shop in kota kemuning.it was a beauty.a rottweiller female.named her galaxy.on that same evening that i got her i found that galaxy was coughing.the next day , i took her to the vet who told me that she had kennel couch and gave me some antibiotics as well as some vitamins.after 5 days, galaxy continued coughing ,started having eye discharge as well..she began to twitch 2.went off her food as well.when i took her 2 another vet,he diagnosed it as canine distemper and put galaxy downas he said it was more humane.even if i had only had galaxy for6 days i loved her.when i went back to the pet shop to tell them, they refused to believe me.i saw galaxy's sister in a kennel coughing as well. so was a gsd in the kennel above her.its a shame that there are such unscrupulous pet shop owners ...just want to warn others...please check ur dog coz its heart breaking to lose them
wooferty woof

tancho
Novice

Jun 18, 2008, 1:25 AM

Post #2 of 10 (30982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [apara] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

I know exactly how you feel, coz I had a similar experience. In my case, my bulldog puppy was down with both distemper and parvo, and died only after 2 weeks with us.

I informed the breeder, but he denied the virus came from his place.

It was heartbreaking to see my puppy suffer. He suffered and struggled for 3 days before he passed on.

That is why it is always recommended to acquire our pups from responsible breeders that ensure the health of their charges.

Good luck with your next pup.

Arisa Tanaka
New User

Feb 19, 2009, 9:21 PM

Post #3 of 10 (29556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [apara] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello. I also lost my puppy as a distemper nearly one week ago.
I totally understand your feeling.

Actually before I purchase puppy, I checked several pet shop in Malaysia.
Because I worried about puppy health concern.

When I purchased puppy, pet shop gave me 72 hours return gurantee.
As I brought my puppy back to home, he started cough heavily. I immediately brough him to the Vet Clinic and to secure his health, the doctor needs time to monitor sometime.

I highly requested to pet shop to extend this 72 hours.
They never listen to doctor's opinion, and ask me to return puppy either take him his clinic.
The pet shop is called The Pet Family (By Qian Hu) in PJ, Malaysia.
They don't trust my doctor's opinion,
so I brought puppy to the biggest Vet Hospital in KL.

He was immediately hospitalized for a week and doctor told me that its quite difficult to diagonse the distemper.

I called up to the pet shop directly many times they never listen to this and just got angry.

Everntually he was discharged the hospital but started cough again so brought him clinic again.
He took anti biotics medicine and cough medicine.

One day I went back to home, as I gave food to my puppy, he suddenly fell down and bubble came out from his mouth and shaking his body.

I and my partner immediately brought him to Vet Hospital in KL.
It was quite late night so next day he checked blood test and found that distemper.

As we realized virus already went to brain so no treatment for him anymore besides already isolated from other dogs.

Doctor suggested me to send comfort death this puppy.
Before then I called up to pet shop many times but they never ever show us sincerely for this.

I have already informed cosumer complaint society in Malaysia that this shop is lack of sanitation and service.

I cried cried many many times since I lost my lovely puppy.

To avoid this kind problem to other ppl, I will take an action to this Pet Shop.

mullin
Novice

Jul 7, 2009, 9:54 AM

Post #4 of 10 (29163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arisa Tanaka] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

To avoid this kind problem to other ppl, I will take an action to this Pet Shop.

I agree, let's burn that shop today!!

prevalere
New User

Sep 30, 2009, 5:44 PM

Post #5 of 10 (27003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mullin] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

i appreciate that people get upset when their puppy from a pet shop gets sick.. but really... firstly pet shops are generally quite bad here in malaysia and if i were ever to buy a dog i would call MKA and get a list of their recomended breeders for the breed i was looking for.. if you go to a pet shop, you're looking for trouble as they're mostly businesses not animal lovers..
secondly distemper is deadly but i strongly believe that you can pull most puppies through it if you are dedicated.. i just spent the last 7 days working with my husband doing 24 hour shifts of hydrating and immune boosting a puppy that has distemper.. he came to us neurological stage two, and due to 24 hour care he is now recovering and eating hard food.. he is deaf and partially blind... but he's alive and not in pain!!! he will have a beautiful life..
if you care about dogs then you would NEVER put it down if it has distemper, you would spend you whole days and nights with it, feeding it every 20mins and it CAN survive.. if anyone needs help in know what products to use and how to care for a distemper puppy, reply to this thread and i will help you with anything you need!!!!!!!!!

wealthy
New User

Dec 16, 2009, 6:39 AM

Post #6 of 10 (25794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prevalere] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi. I have a distemper dog n need medication for her. I love her very much n dont want to put her to sleep. She is still twitching n the DR said cant cure. pls let me know the medication so that i could rescue her. I have been crying everyday. PLS HELP. Thanks

navinacious
New User

Jan 14, 2010, 10:32 PM

Post #7 of 10 (24742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arisa Tanaka] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

hi i just my toy poodle to suspected distemper
it was hearbreaking still as it has only been a week.
Her name is Bella and she's a beautifil brown toy poodle.
We bought her frm a pet shop in Muar called Funny pet shop. We only had her with us for 5 days. She came in with the usual kennel cough symptoms and then worsen. At the last day she was too ill to even walk. The vet in Muar is sooooo limited that i even called up the Animal Medical Centre in KL to help send a ambulance, but they dont seem to have that kind of services in Malaysia.
Pls enquire that your dog is frm a good breeder. DONT EVER BUY FRM A PET SHOP!!!

Arisa Tanaka
New User

Jan 15, 2010, 2:21 AM

Post #8 of 10 (24718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [navinacious] distemper-the pupy killer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello. navinacious san I just saw ur message. I really undesrstand ur feeling. At that time I made my puppy put to sleep, I still feel sorry to him. Before I and my husband made a decision, we checked website and whether we can do any treatment (local info and Japan info) even asked doctors. There is rare case u can save dog. But puppy maybe suffer forever. I am not really sure whether Malaysian vet can cure it or not. Distemper spereads sickness easily to other dogs as well. Actually I brought my puppy to Animal medical centre in KL at that time, my puppy was already isolated to other dogs. Because it is too dangerous.

Dogs are smuggled Thailand, I heard they have a lot of sickness. A lot of pet shops (I think there are some pet shops which they really love animal and take care of them well) only concern about money and dont focus on sanitation or quality of animals.

In my country there is some distemper cases but not many as Malaysia. Government puts the strict law for animals (pet shops, breeder, even owener) ( I feel Malaysia is lack of sanitation and easy to smuggle dogs from Thailand ). Besides once pet shop has this kind of problem it would be a big issue.

I hope that pet shop will impnrove their quality (also government) as soon as possible.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2010, 4:00 AM

Post #9 of 10 (24713 views)
Shortcut

If you elect to buy a puppy from a pet shop you must also be prepared to face the consequences, because 80-90% of their stock is supplied by puppymills and BYBs.

Hygiene & sanitation are two paramount issues that pet shops seldom bothered to look into.

The root cause for puppies from pet shops suffering a high fatality rate is easily deduced. Ideally puppies should be 80-90% weaned before they are separated from the bitch, and by this time they should be 7 to 8 weeks old. While the puppies are still feeding on the milk of the bitch daily they get colostrum intake as a form of protection against terminal diseases and infection. Imagine what would happen if all of a sudden the supply line is terminated.

Puppies are most cute and adorable at the age of 6 to 7 weels old. So it is a question of win win situation for both parties namely the pet shops and puppymills. As for the puppymills the sooner they disposed of a litter they collect cash on delivery and at the same time cut costs. The advantage for the pet shops, price is dirt cheap to buy at a tender age and it also provide them 3-4 weeks of lee time just in case the puppies were not sold.

There are 1001 reasons why puppies caught distemper, parvo etc and the like at the shop. It is unfair to point fingers at puppymills and establishments such as pet shops. One has to remember that pet shops paid cash on delivery and not all pet shop owners have the expertise to distinguish a healthy/sickly(going to be) puppy.

It is better for any prospective puppy buyers to read the classified ad in the Star newspaper and there is a wide variety of breeds to select from. At least you have the opportunity to visit the breeders. If you are one of those impulsive buyers; see only must buy I wish you the best of 1Malaysia luck!

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

darkcurves
New User

Jan 16, 2010, 8:16 AM

Post #10 of 10 (24656 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hi i just my toy poodle to suspected distemper
it was hearbreaking still as it has only been a week.
Her name is Bella and she's a beautifil brown toy poodle.
We bought her frm a pet shop in Muar called Funny pet shop. We only had her with us for 5 days. She came in with the usual kennel cough symptoms and then worsen. At the last day she was too ill to even walk. The vet in Muar is sooooo limited that i even called up the Animal Medical Centre in KL to help send a ambulance, but they dont seem to have that kind of services in Malaysia.
Pls enquire that your dog is frm a good breeder. DONT EVER BUY FRM A PET SHOP!!!

What a coincidence, i also bought a Toy Poddle about 2 weeks ago. Her name is also Bella. She has been coughing for the past few days so i decided to bring her to the vet yesterday. She was diagnosed with Distemper virus. I was really heartbroken. The vet gave some anti-biotics, immune boost and Vitamin A medicine but i doubt it will help her. She has been coughing, flu, diarrhea and also involuntary twitching while sleeping. She is slowly losing appetite also. I called the seller and he was very defensive it wasnt from him, eventhough i didnt accuse him. I just dont know what to do, sigh. Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my