First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jacksontan
Novice

May 13, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #1 of 59 (14992 views)
Shortcut
PUG - SKIN PROBLEMS - PLS ADVISE Can't Post

Dear All,

Pls HELP!! My pug is 1 year old. Of late both his elbows lost a patch of hair and it is dark colour ( almost black ).

And there are tiny pinkish pustules/skin forming and the area is getting larger. I initially tought those were tiny ticks with bloated body..but turned out to be his skin. What are these? How to cure? Contagious to humans/dogs? My dog started getting this problem after I boarded him for 5 days at a vet.

In addition, the areas between his toes frequently get inflammed. ie. big pimple like bumps and have pus which burst when ripe. I have seen these in other pugs too. Is this common for pugs? To reduce this problem, I would clean in between the toes with tooth brush at every bath..2-3days once but still get it!! I feed him eukanuba lamb...pug used to stink but now not so stinko but still got smell..my bros and frens say the dog is quite smelly...is something wrong?

Plzz help!!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 13, 2008, 9:57 PM

Post #2 of 59 (14970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacksontan] PUG - SKIN PROBLEMS - PLS ADVISE [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, i hv a pug too! Cool

most of the time, missing hair on elbows is because the dog is sleeping on cement or hard surface floor for a long period of time... is this the case for ur pug? if so, not to worry, there's a simple remedy for the hair to grow back - cut a handful of bayam (leaves n stems) very finely, boil in water with honey n olive oil, leave it to cold, n serve bayam with soup to ur pug, give this daily for a week or two, then twice weekly, u'll see results in 2 weeks - i've tried it with my pug n a rescued pug, the bayam works in making the hair grow back, but not as treatment for any skin problem...

as for the pustules, do get a vet to check it out to determine wat sort of skin problem it is...

i'm not sure if eukanuba is the best food to give a pug with skin problem, but if ur pug has no problem with the food then it's ok to stick with it... otherwise u may wan to consider switching to a more premium brand...

let me know if u need more info, i'd be more than happy to help out another pug owner n possibly meet up with ur pug too! Wink

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

jacksontan
Novice

May 14, 2008, 3:05 AM

Post #3 of 59 (14944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] PUG - SKIN PROBLEMS - PLS ADVISE [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ai_ney,

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. Think I will bring my pug to a vet this weekend.

Yeah,..if there's a chance, I will bring my pug to meet yours..sookie 's her name right?

Do you know if it is common for pugs to develop the 'pimples' between the toes? Mine has got it on 3 of his legs before. I think at least 5 times oredi.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 10:09 PM

Post #4 of 59 (14906 views)
Shortcut

where do u stay n which vet do u take ur pug to?

i know of pugs having 'pimples' on the face, toes n tummy area... i'm not sure wat causes them tho...

yeah my pug's name is sookie... wat's ur pug's name? Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 15, 2008, 1:47 AM

Post #5 of 59 (14888 views)
Shortcut

I stay in Puchong.

My pug's name is Ben.

The vet that I frequent is St. Angels, next to Tesco ( corner shop house ).

FYI - The tiny growth/pustules are at the elbow area...I get goose bumps when I look at them...hopefully it is just thickened skins and not some infections.

Also, 1 year old oredi, but I am still unable to teach him to sit & come etc...how's sookie's performance?

I heard it's very hard to train pugs as there are stubborn.

Any special method you used?
Thanks.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 15, 2008, 2:04 AM

Post #6 of 59 (14883 views)
Shortcut

the rescued pug i hv now also has tiny bumps on his legs... looks like hardened skin... will check with the vet this friday when i take the pug there for a jab... i now go to the vet in bdr puteri puchong, near puteri mart...

my sookie ar, never been trained! i adopted her as an adult from spca 5 yrs ago... tried teaching her some basic commands, but never accomplished anything! sigh... but she's a very good girl Wink

eh post some photos of Ben la... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 16, 2008, 4:43 PM

Post #7 of 59 (14779 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ai_ney,

OK...when the photos are ready...ben has lost about 2kg since he got flu after the boarding. Was down with flu & sneezing for 2 weeks ( mid april ).

He is ok now, but has not gained back his appetite 100%. Nowadays, he would sniff at the dog food and turn away. I had to coax him to eat.

I better not board him at a vet again. I think can easily contract dieases from sick dogs there.

I am not sure if boarding dogs and patients are in the same room though.

Got any reliable boarding shops or house you know? Thanks.

Oh btw..what do you mean rescued dogs? saved them from bad owners? how's the process? Are you with some kind of NGO?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 16, 2008, 8:11 PM

Post #8 of 59 (14771 views)
Shortcut

poor Ben... wat food r u giving him? mayb can add some boiled chicken meat or something tastier for him to eat...

yeah vet clinics n pet shops are not good places to board our furkids... there are people who does home boarding, where the dogs are not caged... for a small dog like Ben, n moreover he's a pug, i can help to board him when u r away, for a very minimal fee, to help with expenses for rescued dogs i have... no cage n will be taken for walk... u can call me at 017.3386317 if u r interested... Smile

i'm not with any ngo... rescued could mean saved from the streets or from bad owners... the black pug with me now is rescued from spca, the previous owner left him at spca coz he has skin problem n spca would have put him to sleep... sigh... so now i've taken the pug to a vet n is on medication... he's getting better n is a handsome boy... Wink

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 20, 2008, 6:03 PM

Post #9 of 59 (14713 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ai_ney, Ok...will consider if I am away from home.
yesterday when to the vet, thank god it is not mange. Doc said its the pressure points/hot spots.. but with a dit of dandruff. Plus he got slight bacterial dermatitis on his back ( pimples ), I did not notice this before until yest.. He is on antibiotic and lotion. He is 10.6kgs now...previously was 10.9kgs..looks like he has put on weigh again. oops...I think previously he only lost about 1kg. Ben's not really fat, good confirmation but he is big sized for a pug according to the doc. How do you feed a dog antibiotic pill?... Ben always puke when I feed him. No use putting in his food. 1 sniff and he wont eat. I have wasted 2 pills oredi.

(This post was edited by jacksontan on May 20, 2008, 6:06 PM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 20, 2008, 9:07 PM

Post #10 of 59 (14700 views)
Shortcut

some pugs are bigger, some pugs are smaller in size... my sookie used to be 10 over kg, recently managed to drop her weight to 9.something kg... but i think she's gaining her weight back again... getting fat, so i need to control her food intake... Crazy

sookie also wun eat her pills, so i will hide it in some canned dog food... u can also use some chicken meat to wrap the pill in... they will just telan the whole thing as long as the pill is hidden... or u can always try to push the pill into Ben's mouth, not really difficult... here's a link with photos on how to feed pills to dogs www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_meds.aspx... good luck with it! Wink

wei where are Ben's photos leh? Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 22, 2008, 9:56 PM

Post #11 of 59 (14635 views)
Shortcut

Uploaded some phots at the gallery..still not approved yet. Gotta wait and see lo.

Will post cute pics when available.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 23, 2008, 1:00 AM

Post #12 of 59 (14625 views)
Shortcut

ok will wait for the photos... i see Ben in ur avatar, his face very wrinkly wo... hehe

so did u manage to feed him the pills successfully?

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 23, 2008, 3:36 AM

Post #13 of 59 (14620 views)
Shortcut

Sigh, sometimes the pills got swallowed , half the time got spat out and I had to put it in his mouth again, sticky and chemical smell is so strong.

I pity Ben la...but I would always add Grape flavoured glucose after his feed, else I think the bitter after taste is quite strong le. I can smell it.

Anyway, after taking the antibiotic, his stool is quite soft, think his tummy is not used to medicine..

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 23, 2008, 7:47 PM

Post #14 of 59 (14573 views)
Shortcut

did u try to hide the pill with some wet food, boiled meat, or even bread? it will be easier tat way, for me at least...

the pills only for 1 or 2 weeks right... it's ok ler, they are for Ben to get better...

soft stool after taking the pills? hmmm i've not heard abt tat before... maybe can just check with ur vet...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

May 30, 2008, 2:22 AM

Post #15 of 59 (14364 views)
Shortcut

His elbows are 80% ok oredi. Yippee..

I had to use my fingers to push it down his throat. He just won't take anything on his own.

Finished his antibiotics also..but the small bumps are still there...sigh...still cannot cure yet. Some of the bumps has now become sores and its bleeding.

I am applying yellow lotion ( human use it ) to dry the wounds.

Is something wrong here? Doctor said is was minor bacterial dermatitis but to me it's serious woh..and not healed after almost 2 weeks.

I was wondering could it be the eggs? I usually give Ben 2-4 boiled eggs per week and also apples & sengkuang slices.

It's very difficult for me to take care of Ben as I live alone and usually work very late. Could it be stress coz he is alone for long periods of time?

And he is caged during the day when I am not at home. ( had to be done coz he has chewed on all my furnitures & even fridge door )

Any advise to make Ben's life easier is most welcomed.

How did you link the photo gallery?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 30, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #16 of 59 (14327 views)
Shortcut

good to know the elbows are better... did u try the bayam recipe?

did ur vet do a skin scraping? maybe u wan to get opinion from a second vet abt the bumps n sores? i dun like the sound of them coz u mentioned they bleed... Crazy

some dogs are allergic to eggs... i used to give sookie eggs, but was told to stop it coz she gets skin prob on n off... Unsure

dogs may get stressed if left alone, but i think with time, they'll get used to ur routine n will be fine... i live alone too n sookie will be by herself at home when i work... i do let sookie to have free run in the house as she is toilet trained n wun bite things... maybe instead of a cage, u could put Ben in an empty room, so he has a bigger space? i also on the radio for sookie when i leave the house, mayb u wan to try tat too... Wink

i forgot how to link the photo gallery edi... sorry... Blush

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Jun 2, 2008, 9:51 PM

Post #17 of 59 (14222 views)
Shortcut

hi....bayam soup ...not yet..anyway, the vet did the skin scraping during the 1st visit so he confirmed it is not mange.

The elbows are now 95% ok..i still apply lotion. Also the his back all the bumps and sores are healed already.

Now waiting for the dried stuff to fall off. But now he seemed to be scratching his right cheek and the hair fell off with some minor wounds on his cheek. I think due to constant scratching in the afternoon.

But when I checked there seemed to be no ticks or fleas....what is going on?

Problem after problem..the breeder swore that his parents & grand parents are from good lineage...sigh...

I have just started adding bits of boiled lean chicken meat to him euka lamd biscuits....Ben liked it a lot, his appetite is back, i am sure its due to the chicken.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 2, 2008, 11:00 PM

Post #18 of 59 (14216 views)
Shortcut

most skin problems are not easy to diagnose... could be allergic to certain food, or even to the environment! Crazy

my sookie also having skin prob now, she has it on n off... now on medication n hv to bathe with medicated shampoo... she's getting better... r u using medicated shampoo like malaseb to bathe ben? it helps lo, but make sure u rinse the dog thoroughly with water after tat...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Jun 4, 2008, 4:49 PM

Post #19 of 59 (14148 views)
Shortcut

malaseb ?..i will check it out. I used to use my own body shampoo like 'dove' or 'dettol' brand for like 7 mths.
But i have stopped it coz it's hard to rinse off ( due to moisturising elements in it ). Now i just use the medicated soap bar found in tesco, I liked the smell and it seemed to reduce ben's dog odour. ( not sure if it's due to allery to the soap bar though bcoz Ben been using for months and all this started after the 6 days boarding when I went overseas.
Anyway, looking forward to bring ben outdoor for the first time but after all the dried skin fall off first.
Think I'll bring him to a basket ball court nearby and let him fly..haha.
Btw, on Monday, Ben opened his cage's door on his own and was free roaming in the apt until I came home at 8pm. (Now i use a padlock )

I was quite impressed that Ben did his biz ( big & small ) in the toilet on his own. Thank god it was not in my store room or the spare room. But he did pee 2nd round just outside of the toilet door...maybe I will give him training again to see if he can be let out from him cage day time.

Finally after 1 year..he did something right..

(This post was edited by jacksontan on Jun 4, 2008, 4:56 PM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2008, 6:31 PM

Post #20 of 59 (14138 views)
Shortcut

it's not advisable to use human shampoo on dogs coz of the different PH levels...

wah Ben very clever, can open the cage door n get freedom! haha... more clever is he knows where to do his business!

bring him to a basketball court to fly? haha... if u plan to put him off leash, make sure he will come back when u call orh... there's a doggie event at central park, bandar utama this 29 june... take ben there la... we can also meet up... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Jun 10, 2008, 2:11 AM

Post #21 of 59 (14008 views)
Shortcut

29th June...most likely no la...Ben does not have a dog licence...nanti kena tangkap..hahaha..& ..Ben still got skin problem ...better not bring him there, other owners may complain.

I am using medicated dog soap bar at the moment + I bathe ben with water mixed with dettol solution.

Ben is still getting small red bumps here and there replacing the bigger bumps that are 90% healed.

So this means that something is wrong somewhere. Frown

also I just noticed that Ben's tummy area got red spots all over with a big spot on his testicles and at the base of his tail + near the anus. ( not itchy though ) - could it be he is 'heaty'??

Plus he keeps scratching the 2 red bump on his neck. One of it got scratched until its bleeding now. I used yellow lotion to apply + dettol to clean the wound. ...just this morning!

I really dunno what to do now? Doc said its not mange? allery? i am not sure. Could it be the cage is dirty? I clean it frequently with dettol woh..

I used to hug Ben everyday..now I only pet him... Dog's dieases are not contagious to humans right? My previous dogs do not have such skin problems. If only I placed Ben at my parents house instead of the vet. I have complained to the vet before but he said they clean their cage with strong solutions to kill all germs..so not possible..sheesh. very frustrated with Ben's condition!!

Maybe not enough exercise?..I brought out for the 1st time on Sunday to walk around the neighbourhood...1 round and Ben is too tired to walk. Just lay on the road can panting profusely...looks like he needs more exercise.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 10, 2008, 2:23 AM

Post #22 of 59 (14006 views)
Shortcut

29 june is a doogie event, no one will tangkap ur dog la if u keep him leashed with u all the time... so dun worry... most skin problems are not contagious to other dogs n human, so dun worry... Smile

it's not easy to imagine wat ben is having... maybe u could take some photos of the bumps n post them here? would u like to try a new vet? i could recommend u one since ur vet is also at a lost as to wat ben is having... it's really heartbreaking to see our pugs scratching n we cant do anything abt it... Unsure so fast fast try something else, like a new vet...

dun over-exercise ben wo... pugs cant take too much exercise... just short walks in the mornings or evenings will do... next time if u r away n u need help, let me know la, i could board ben for u... for pugs, anytime! Wink

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Jun 12, 2008, 2:09 AM

Post #23 of 59 (13942 views)
Shortcut

Ai_ney,

I see. If I am free, I will go then.

Will post some pics soon.

Now Ben looks 'mo peng' oredi...yellow spot all over his body..so pitiful..Frown

Btw, the dog soap bars sold at the hyper markets, got problem ah? Anyone using these on pugs at the moment?

Once ben finishes the euka lamb, i will change to other brands. I think it's quite smelly..according to Ben...

Let me have the contact & name of the vet you are visiting in Puchong. You are staying in Puchong?

Any parks in Puchong that allow dogs?
I am staying in apartment, so cannot bring Ben to walk everyday in the compound. Afraid people will complain, coz some shitty dog owners bring their dogs out and shit without cleaning up. Many times I almost step on some dog shit. Should be toy breed since the shit is small. I fear others will blame me for it and Ben will have to go elsewhere. Sigh...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2008, 5:43 PM

Post #24 of 59 (13937 views)
Shortcut

BANDAR PUTERI VET CLINIC
16, Jln Puteri 5/8,
Bandar Puteri Puchong,
012 - 3263180
03 - 80621038
Dr. Edmund Yeoh

this is the vet me and ai ney go to..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2008, 6:28 PM

Post #25 of 59 (13933 views)
Shortcut

looks like Ben's condition is getting worse... faster book a time to go see Dr Edmund in puchong... actually skin problem is hard to diagnose... my sookie has been getting skin problem on n off, but we cannot find out the primary problem... u hv to find wat works n wat doesnt... now i'm using this medicated shampoo called malaseb to control the skin, it works, but then again it's poison... sometimes skin problem is becoz of food allergy so u may want to try another better brand of food... i stay in a flat, so sookie hardly gets any sunshine, i only walk her in the evenings... so my fren had said maybe her skin problem is becoz lack of natural vitamin D from sunshines! maybe, i also duno... but in any case, let's see wat Dr Edmund says abt Ben's condition... keep us posted ya...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my